Author Topic: 50/95 - What dies do you use?  (Read 2418 times)

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
50/95 - What dies do you use?
« on: June 18, 2008, 06:01:50 AM »
Hi,

A Brit just joined you here. Hello the board......

I'm using a Uberti '76 in 50/95. Bought some Starline reformed brass and some 4D dies from Dave Gullo. The 4D re-sizer takes the shoulder out completely leaving a slightly tapered case so I'm not a happy bunny! They fireform back to the correct shape but I don't want to keep working the brass this much. They're going back to Dave today but as the only other make is RCBS (and you need a mortgage to buy them) I need to know if they re-size properly. Anybody using them?

Cheers
Clive

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 50/95 - What dies do you use?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 07:57:30 AM »
I only have a 45-75 but neck size all my cases.  I sent a fire-formed case to RCBS and got aTrim Die that was made to fit those fire-formed cases.  In your situation, I should think that rule would also apply.  What I would recommend would be to send that die AND a fire-formed case to BA and have them take care of it.  They are good folks and I got an idea that they will make it good for you.  I use Lee dies and as I said, I only neck size.  That does save on wear and tear and extends case life.   ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline sharps4065

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:04:08 AM »
Yes, Dave Gullo is definitely "good people". Shot with him many times. Just been on the line to Buff Arms about it and we're sorting it out - hopefully!

I've fire formed the cases again and the shoulder in the Uberti chamber is definitely different to the formed cases that BA supply. Looks like Uberti have ploughed their own furrow as they appear to have done with the 45/75.

I'm hoping to get away with using fire formed cases and just seat & crimp. I really don't want to over work the brass - too expensive!

Cheers
Clive

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:02:59 AM »

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:26:39 PM »
Don't worry about the shorter neck on the cases.  It gives you a tad bit more case capacity and besides, my Swiss BP loads seem to like that little bit more room.  I just neck-size like I said.  Haven't tried to just thumb seat and crimp.  Used to do that with my old 45-90 Sharps but that is a single shot.  I do it with my 40-82 Rolly Block but again, a single shot and using paper patch slugs.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com