Author Topic: blow back with 200 grain 45 colt in a marlin cowboy rifle / how to cure  (Read 4169 times)

Offline h c ramrod

• H.C.Ramrod
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A friend of mine was shooting 250 grain 45 colts in her marlin and her husband switch to 200 grn. with 5.1 grns of tite group powder and she started to complain of blow back in her face and it bothers her shooting.
any cure you know about , other than goin back to the 250 grn lead ???
keep yur powder dry.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Crimp...more crimp.   ;D
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline h c ramrod

• H.C.Ramrod
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
THANKS FOR THE REPLY
THAT'S WHAT SOMEONE ELSE TOLD THEM , BUT IT DIDNOT CURE THE BLOW BACK WITH THE 200 GRN'R  :(
keep yur powder dry.

Advertising

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
That charge is only about 2/3rds of what Hogdons recommends, its probably hovering on the virg of squibbing, or some other badd joojoo.
 Either raise the powder charge, or switch to a different powder. Max load of trailboss might be just the ticket for this.
 If she can't handle the recoil from the 250's or 200's with adeguate powder charges, with slip on pads or a past shoulder pad, etc, then it may be time to consider something in a 38 special,or 32-20.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
hc, the .45s are going to give some blow back with the loads that we use in CAS but it shoudn't be hitting her in the face.  I know that a lot of people use a 160 gr RNFP sitting on 4.3 grs or Red Dot and they have good results with that load.  If I remember correctly that load is hitting about 1000 fps out of a rifle.  Red Dot is just tad faster burning than the Tite Group but I have seen the same load used successfully with American Select which is a tad slower than Tite Group.

The load stated above also uses a magnum primer to get better ignition with the low volumn of powder in the case.  A Lee factory crimp die is a very good investment too.  You just can't get the same kind of crimp when you're seating and crimping in the same step.

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline slap happy

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
What brass are you using? I know starline brass is a little thicker and doesn't crimp as well, i've had trouble with it using black powder. I've found that minchester brass held the crimp better on lighter bullet weight's and loads.   hope this might help! slap happy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com