Author Topic: 63 Sharps...paper or brass cartridge  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • GAF - #619 SASS #72298 SCORRS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
63 Sharps...paper or brass cartridge
« on: May 28, 2008, 08:05:06 PM »
Hey all, still chasin' my tail on next long gun...66?  Cartridge Sharps?  Percussion Sharps?

I have a question.  I see on a number of sites that sell the percussion '63 Carbine also sell brass cartridges (package of 4 or 5?).  Does anyone use these brass cartridges?  Any comments good, bad or ugly would be most appreciated.  My hands don't wark like they did 50-years ago and rolling paper cartridges is a bit more than a chore.  I used to roll a bunch of them for my F&I War musket...but that was some time ago.

Thanks,
Two Dot Wrangler
From the cloudy, very cool and rainy Oregon Coast.
Don't squat on yer spurs!
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline Sgt Major Barber

• Very Active Citizen
  • GAF - #619 SASS #72298 SCORRS
  • Liked:
Re: 63 Sharps...paper or brass cartridge
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 01:08:16 AM »
The Sharps I am considering is an Armi Sport.....
TDW
Don't squat on yer spurs!
Two Dot Wrangler

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:41:43 PM »
I've got an IAB .54 Percussion Sharps that I make paper cartridges for.  I've never tried the brass ones - and dont know where to get them.  If they were reasonable, I might try some though.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:27:47 AM »

Offline wwpete52

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »
You can guy the brass cartridges from www.VTIGparts.com . They come in a set of 5. I believe they are $30 plus shipping. They all carry parts for I.A.B. and other import firearms. They are nice folks.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »
I've got a Shiloh Sharps .50 caliber Percussion Carbine that I shoot Paper Cartridges in only.

I've never heard of a brass cartridge for a Percussion Sharps.  The Burnside, Merril, and Smith, but never the Sharps, unless it was converted to shoot the .50-70 Government.

Anyone want to chime in an enlighten me on this aspect of percussion shooting?  How do you extract the brass casing after it's been shot?
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
I'm doing the paper cartridge thing with my '59 Sharps Carbine from Pedersoli.  It came with a videotape that showed the brass thingies being used.  If I remember correctly you poked them out from the muzzle end.  Pedersoli appears to have its own version of these brass cases for percission guns.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Tubac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 06:22:04 PM »
Gents,
To remove the brass, I stuck a bent awl into the ignition hole and pulled 'em out.

Tubac
from the Confederate Territory of Arizona

Offline Ranger RB

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
I have used the brass cartridges in my Taylor's 63 (Armi). Taylor's sell them specifically for the Armi sport. I have found that they work well and simply fall out if you raise the barrel. I have never had to pry or poke them out. Keep them and the chamber clean and they fall out.
The other issue is bullet size. The bullets I use came from Dixie and have a ringtail that fits right into the brass case (it is designed for glueing the paper cartridge to it). They are a bit long in combination with the brass cartridges so have a rod handy to seat the bullet in the rifling. It is a very accurate combo.

RB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com