Author Topic: USFA Remingtons ???  (Read 13045 times)

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: USFA Remingtons ???
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 11:19:02 PM »
Grogan, they only need Remington's approval to stamp "Remington" on the gun as everyone knows it's not a "real" Remington being made by USFA. Technically, USFA could proceed w/o the stamp just as Uberti & USFA build SAA clones.  Most people could not care less about the stamp IMO as they just want a '75 w/o the stupid Uberti type cylinder release.  Cerberus owns Remington and they are a large holding co. who owns Marlin, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. I'd wager that Remington has no part in the manufacturing end of it. Remington for that matter does not even make their RB actions for their #1 Sporters available through their custom shop. It's a farmed out casting.

Yes, I understand all that and agree with you.

However we don't know what kinds of agreements they (Remington & USFA) have together on this.

It may be that USFA was going to carry the ball on this and decided that it wasn't going to be a financially viable project after all. 

I don't really know any of the details and I doubt if anybody reading this does either.

All I know is there are often great chasms between what some of us (shooters) often desire and what actually materializes.

I guess what I was trying to do here was just conjecture on WHY USFA wouldn't come out and make an announcement on something like this?

(But then, of course we do have the Omni Potent as a precedent, don't we? :o)

Oh BTW those Remington "built" (o.k. sold) RBs are pretty sad from what I understand. 
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 11:44:18 PM »
Needless to say my last remark was one of disillusionment, but my persistence in trying to reach Gary Granger at USFA finally paid off this morning. He told me that the Remmy is still moving forward with production. It will be available in 2009, he said. Obviously USFA is a privately held company, and it's the owner who says "when"(This might explain the situation with the Omni-Potent Six-Shooter!). So whether we see it sooner,or later, or (God forbid) never is up to the owner. ::) I even went as far to speak for my fellow CASCITY citizens stating that alot of us are highly dubious about ever seeing USFA show us anything on their website. To my surprise Gary informed me that he frequently reads are comments and even mentioned talking to one of our Top Ranking Citizens(maybe Doc Sunrise, can't remember now). Gary went further to say that he will post whatever information he can about the Remington revolvers when he can.
Now on a more personal note, I have to give Gary alot of respect for what he does everyday to put food on the table. As I was listening to what he was saying, I could here the frustration in his voice. He's representing a company that has alot of clout and now here it is promising a new line of revolvers that are months overdue. I'm convinced that he would like nothing more than to post information that would put our collective minds at ease. That is, if the owner doesn't object to seeing USFA bring in more customers that they never had before.
A work in progress.

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »
Everyone needs to remember that "Stamping" a name on something carrys a per piece fee, and that is after all of the other up-front fees for a particular name.  Then carrying the project forward through and working out all of the probelms as well as potentially solving problems that may be in other projects creates tangents.  Mr. Donnely makes the decision to investigate those tangents or not, for reasons he may only know.  Regardless, I don't blame USFA for not proceeding as scheduled, however, I do realize that keeping potential customers informed is very important for future survival.  It is true that I speak to Gary very often as I do purchase USFA firearms often.  Things that he has stated in confidence I will not repeat.  He views this forum just about daily and will comment when appropriate.  It would be reckless for me to say something that was premature or incorrect.  USFA releases should be from authorized USFA representatives, not me.  I am like the rest of you and hope the Remington does come out, but in the mean time I enjoy collecting and shooting USFA firearms.  And since I do not pretend to know how to run Mr. Donnely's company, I am left to collect and shoot what he has offered, and hope that by buying his firearms that I have supported his company in some small way. 

After the prevailing conditions of our economy, we all should be impressed USFA is one of the smarter companies that has navigated its survival.  That tells me Mr. Donnely must know what he is doing to some degree, and I can wait.  I would hate to see a company go under from the hopes a particular project will become profitable after heavy start-up costs.  I certainly don't have to tell most of you the long list of companies that have gone belly up due to one project that did them in, especially the long list of firearms companies.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:47:03 AM »

Offline DR.A.W.FAST

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »
Fox Creek Kid,
 Having some first hand knowledge of this topic, the only time you can mention Remingtons name is in your advertisements, and you must use the terminology 'Remington Type Revolver" when you referance it. Unless you are paying compensation to Remington directly by the means of a signed contract for the use of their name it cannot be used on the weapons themsleves. Hartford Armory, whom I worked for when they first started, had to research this in its entirety. They could not be stopped from producing them in exact replicas, but had to adhear to those protections of name brand patents!
Doc

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 07:48:47 PM »
Fox Creek Kid,
 Having some first hand knowledge of this topic, the only time you can mention Remingtons name is in your advertisements, and you must use the terminology 'Remington Type Revolver" when you referance it. Unless you are paying compensation to Remington directly by the means of a signed contract for the use of their name it cannot be used on the weapons themsleves. Hartford Armory, whom I worked for when they first started, had to research this in its entirety. They could not be stopped from producing them in exact replicas, but had to adhear to those protections of name brand patents!
Doc

You are correct, sir. Colt even went so far as to sue AWA over the usage of "Peacekeeper" on its SAA clones. My point being is that everyone knows that these will not be a "real" Remington per se, no more than a Shiloh Sharps is a real Sharps. If Uberti would go back to the old (& correct) style of cylinder release it would probably kill the USFA project in its tracks, purely for monetary reasons. Uberti made less than 1,000 like that over thirty years ago then switched to the incorrect modern style release.

Offline Digger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2008, 11:20:41 AM »
Hi Y'all,

I'm nobody and I don't know anybody at USFA, but I have ordered guns directly from USFA in the past and bought others off the auction sites, so I'll throw in my 2-cents.  It seems reasonable to me to hold off on making announcements and taking orders until you have enough on-hand supply to fulfill your commitments in a reasonable time frame.  The worst part of placing an order is "when, when, when".  When it takes a long time to fill the order all sorts of stuff starts preying on your mind.  Have I been forgotten?  Are they doing it right?.  When?  When?  When?  There's only so much demand for an obsolete design, and I'd expect most of it to be experienced in the first wave.  Fine tuning supply and demand is a tricky business.  Myself, I'd rather they wait for a formal announcement until they can fill the orders in a reasonable time frame.  In the end, USFA did me right, heck, better than right, I'm proud of 'em and show 'em off every chance I get, but I gotta tell ya, my nerves were frazzled by the time it happened.

Now, that being said, I have two more comments.  An informal word from time-to-time on forums like this wouldn't hurt customer relations.  And, I hope I'm still on that scratch pad list somebody said they put me on last Spring when I called about my SAAs, for a blue .44-40 with the 7" barrel.  If I could take a dozen I would, but I'm afraid I'm a little guy only up to one.  Maybe a second when they discount the vault.   ;)

Thanks,
Digger

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:32 PM »
Digger,   There is likely more to this story than most of us know.   Actually,  USFA took orders for the Remington when they first announced they would be making them.  I have had one on order with Gary Granger through my FFL for the past 4 months at least.  Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »
I think a bit of clarification is in order here.  When you say that you "placed an order" are you saying that you have paid money (deposit) up front or are you saying that you simply asked your dealer to get one when they became available?  A dealer may have requested a deposit but I seriously doubt if USFA has accepted any money for pre-orders on an item that, as of yet, does not exist.   
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
I think a bit of clarification is in order here.  When you say that you "placed an order" are you saying that you have paid money (deposit) up front or are you saying that you simply asked your dealer to get one when they became available?  A dealer may have requested a deposit but I seriously doubt if USFA has accepted any money for pre-orders on an item that, as of yet, does not exist.   

I ordered a Remington when they first came out with the information.  In fact the order was placed with Gary Granger.  No money has changed hands.   I have never paid up front for a USFA firearm.   Actually,  the only firearm I have ever paid up front for was for my C-Sharps as that was required by the company and not my FFL.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 04:36:32 PM »
Thanks, Deadeye!  I figured that was the case.  Didn't want people who were unfamiliar with this board or USFA to get the impression that USFA had collected money and then not delivered.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2008, 01:54:58 AM »
USFA introduces the new 10/22, "new" ammo, & now the “All Colt Caliber Set”. I feel the '75 Remington being pushed into obscurity folks. Why are they introducing so many new products and not devoting resources to the Remington?  :-\

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2008, 09:31:51 AM »
I would guess that some marketing data or the owner's gut has lead USFA to believe that there are other items on their future products list that can be made with either less effort and more quickly brought to market to produce profits, or that the actual demand for some products are better than others and resources should be devoted to the higher profit potentials.  In any case, I can only hope that the right elements finally come together to have USFA make the Remington.  I know I have placed my wishes with Gary that I would gladly become the owner of some USFA Remingtons.  Here's hoping, but I am not holding my breath. 

Speaking about the 12/22.  I ordered 2 of them.  I can see the potential of the President elect saying that it holds too many cartridges and becoming something to argue about.  I would rather have mine in my safe while we argue about it.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 10:53:49 AM »
USFA introduces the new 10/22, "new" ammo, & now the “All Colt Caliber Set”. I feel the '75 Remington being pushed into obscurity folks. Why are they introducing so many new products and not devoting resources to the Remington?  :-\

yup.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com