Author Topic: MODEL 1878 COACH GUN FROM T.T.N.  (Read 58681 times)

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MODEL 1878 COACH GUN FROM T.T.N.
« on: January 02, 2005, 05:27:49 PM »
TTN has a Chinese model out now.  Cap and D Trader have them for sale.  I am wondering if anyone has purchased one of these and what they think of it.  I like the feature of being able to cock both hammers with one stroke.
Willie
Land of the free BECAUSE of the brave!
God Bless America
Soos Creek, Washington Territory

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
Re: MODEL 1878 COACH GUN FROM T.T.N.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2005, 07:32:51 PM »
Are you talking about the 1878 Colt copy? The company that is selling them is TTN. They're made in China. Fit and finish is pretty good compared to some of the other Chinese doubles I've seen. there was one at a shoot early this year and we were able to compare it to an original Colt. pretty dang close. i have one now and like it quite a bit............Buck 8) :o ::) ;D
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 04:59:38 PM »
I have one coming from Phil.  I only have two SxS, but I am hoping this one will take the lead.  Hee Haw.
Willie
God Bless America

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:02:15 AM »

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 08:12:54 PM »
I have one & have shot it in two matches since I got it. Fit & finish is very nice.  TTN sent me the lighter springs & larger sight bead which I changed out the day after I got it. I did some light polishing on the hinge area. The more I shoot it the more it loosens up. Both hammers can be thumb cocked at the same time.

The only difference I could see between this one and an original Colt is that the Colt has a checkered pistol grip & forestock is. I've heard that TTN will be making a deluxe model available soon. It will be checkered with CH receiver & hammers and will come with screw in chokes. The price will be quite a bit higher though.  I'm pleased with mine.
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 09:47:21 PM »
 :)I just picked mine up tonight.  I ordered it from Ultona with the springs changed out.  I will give it a try this week-end if the water is less than waist deep.

I picked it up at my (pissed off) FFL.  I have purchased 6 + guns from this guy and he has his nose out of joint because I bought what I wanted.  Crap, I paid him $30.00 for the service which I do not mind sans the s**t attitude.

I am picking up a '73 from Bufallo Arms in Sandpoint, Idaho next week.  My 'FFL' said the rifle I wanted was out 90 days at his distributor!.  Buf said come and get it next week.  What a great attitude.
God Bless America

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 10:58:34 PM »
Sounds like your dealer has an attitude problem. As far as the 73 is concerned, lots of pards & dealers haven't got a clue about this. But distributors and dealer direct importers & manufacturers have "preferred" dealers. I worked in a gun shop for 10 years and still do on an as needed basis. We deal primarily with 3 wholesalers for all our guns & accessories. When a new gun or a hard to get gun comes in we get a call asking if we want one or two (if we don't already have them on order). As A Browning Stocking dealer we get 1st preference on guns that are hard or impossible for others to get. To be a stocking dealer you must order at minimum $5000.00 (wholesale) worth of guns and they have to be paid for within 90 days.

So if a dealer is ordering small amounts from a dozen distributors he's going to the bottom of their list & will have to wait until the guns become plentiful.
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline SlipperySam

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 04:47:37 PM »
If you all don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your scattergun?  I need to get one to complete my 3 gun set up.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 06:27:24 PM »
I mighta got lucky, $415 plus shipping. Mine came through 5 String, although he usually doesn't handle shotguns.........Buck 8) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Ringo Steele

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 01:32:45 PM »
I just got mine from Ultona. I had contacted Five String, but he didn't have any available. I used it in it's first match last weekend, and it did splendidly! Seems well build, and is smoothing up after a little in the hinge and lever. Also polished up the chambers a little so that the full length brass would slide out easier. ;D

It's a keeper!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 03:02:28 PM »
I saw one at the NCOWS Nat'l. Convention (for more than you paid) and was immediately impressed.  It seemed to be very sturdy and well made.

My only hold back is that it just bugs th He** outta me to give any money to those Commie SOBs.  Yes, I know that the "regular folks" who actually make the guns are just trying to get along, but the Government I'm SURE gets its' cut.  I guess this falls under the Free Trade heading.  I sure wish we had some manufacturers here in the USA that could produce a quality product like TTN at a price that doesn't kill the budget of those of us who have to count every penny.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Willie Wheelgun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 03:54:36 PM »
Slippery Sam, I paid $455 which was $410 + 15 shipping and 25 for the springs installed.  I could have installed them, but this guy is a gunsmith.  Might as well get it right the first time.  Oh, my favorite local gun dealer got $30 for the paperwork

To make sure, this is a TTN 1878 12 guage coach gun (Colt replica).

Sorry to take so long getting back, but I seem busy.

Willie
God Bless America

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 08:37:07 AM »
I just picked up my new TTN from Ultona.  I have not been able to shoot it thanks to UPS waiting till 5:30 PM to deliver it to my FFL. >:(

My Review.

The Good:

Wood is beautiful.  ;D  Very impressed with color and grain. 

Wood it metal fit is as I expected for a gun in this price range. 

The stock has almost the same drop as my '73.  Now both of my long guns point the same. ;D

This guns is a repro of an actual firearm.  Therefore my desire for authenticity is appeased. ;D

It shoots like a dream.  ;D  The extra weight absorbs much of the recoil.  I shot it in a match and never missed a shotgun target.  ;D

The Bad:

ROUGH internals.  I do not recommend putting in the lighter springs unless you intend to smooth out the action. 

The Ugly:

The bluing was horrible.  Sure am glad I intend to use barrel brown on this gun.

All things concidered this is a great gun that I know will serve me well. 

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Twelve Bore

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 61337
  • NCOWS #: 4018
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 06:34:51 AM »
I have one. only put a few rounds down range with it.  The bluing and stock look good, chambers look like they were done in a drill press with a dull drill. When the forend is removed the barrels can be rocked back and forth in the action, replace the forend and it tightens up. I always thought that was considered a problem in a double barrel? Anyone else notice the same?

"Twelve Bore"

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 01:14:29 AM »
I paid $389 + tax for mine. The right barrel started acting up & would not fire. Called Walt Monday & he had FedEx pick it up yesterday. So it's on it's way to Californy right now. I know Walt at TTN will make it right.
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Twelve Bore

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 61337
  • NCOWS #: 4018
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 07:18:16 AM »
I called Walt on Tuesday. He said he would have mine picked up and send another out to my dealer. He is even going to install the light springs and large bead (had been done by the dealer on the one I have). Great customer service from Walt and TTN!!!!

Offline Stoney Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 02:59:59 PM »
I called Walt on Tuesday. He said he would have mine picked up and send another out to my dealer. He is even going to install the light springs and large bead (had been done by the dealer on the one I have). Great customer service from Walt and TTN!!!!
Walt is providing the same service to me for the same problem.  My barrel rock back and forth when it should be locked up tight.  On Tuesday I'll bring it to my FFL and he'll have it picked up from there.  Then he'll send a new one out to my dealer.  Walt sure was nice to talk to on the phone.  There good people who, so far, have stood behind their product.

If it can't be nice, eaten, make money, create comfort or provide real pleasure.........kill it or trade it in on new one!

Offline Bad Hand Dan

• One Handed Two Gun Terror
  • Active citizen
    • Old West Goods
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2005, 09:15:06 PM »
Yup, DTrader brought one out for me to see a couple of days ago. I'm going to buy one.

I'm holding one of them in my little picture on these posts. Bodie 601 was letting me check out his. It was really cool. I don't yet own a CAS shotgun. I'm too new. My only scattergun is a Remington Wingmaster pump. Too new a model for CAS.

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 10:09:16 AM »
I paid $389 + tax = $421.10 for mine. SHB, the only companies making 100% American made cowboy guns are Colt, Hartford Armory, USFA & Ruger & Ruger is the only one producing them at a reasonable price. Colt, Hartford, & USFA guns are made in Conn. & the Vaquero is made in Arizona. You'll never get any of the Colts, Hartfords or USFA guns at a reasonable price as long as they remain in Conn. because of the Union labor. Unions were fine when they started out in the 30s & into the 50s & 60s. But now they have driven the prices on a lot of American made goods so  high that many folks can't afford them. I'm not anti union either. I've worked at companies where I was a union member and was glad I was. I'm just stating a fact. If a machinist in Prescott, Az. can make a good living at $22 an hour so could one in Conn. But the COL is so high in Conn. (because of the union wages) that a machinist there has to make $30 an hour to make a decent living. Now those numbers are just guestimates but you get my point.
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Williewheelgun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »
Right on.

My shoootgun joins a Chink exposed hammer from Big 5; a Norinco pump from China; a EAA Bounty Hunter concealed hammer 12 double, and my new double with the Colt exposed hammers from TNN.  They all shoot great.  The BH has screw-in chokes for some reason.  They do work with my Ruskie trap gun, so why would I complain?

Willie

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2005, 12:44:56 PM »
Generally, what I've heard about these guns is good.  As I mentioned in my 1st post, the one I handled (looks-wise) was excellent.  Also, Walt is building quite a good reputation for service after the sale.  (It's a real shame, however, that the guns don't come right from the factory and need the services of Walt.  And this isn't just a TNN problem;  other manufacturers seem to suffer some of the same issues.)

In another post, someone else pointed out that IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH, you can still get a shootable original at about the same price.  I dunno.  Any originals I've seen were a fair amount more expensive.  There don't seem to be many old hammered doubles around these parts:  OR, I just don't know where to look!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com