Author Topic: Shiloh vs. C. Sharps  (Read 14298 times)

Offline El Mac

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shiloh vs. C. Sharps
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:48:07 PM »
I apologize boys if this has been discussed. I ran a search and couldn't find it if it has been...

I'm curious to know if you Sharps afficianados have a marked preference for one maker vs the other. And if so, why? I'm given to understand one makes their lockwork from barstock and used Badger barrels and the other uses casting for locks and in house barrels. Now, I'm not knowledgable enough about Sharps to know if this makes much of a difference.

Relating back to the "Fit and Finish" thread...any significant differences in that regard?

Thanks...

Offline El Mac

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Shiloh vs. C. Sharps
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »
Wow...anybody? ...andbody??

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 08:06:42 AM »
I think one reason nobody has responded is that they are both made in Big Timber, Montana right down the street from each other and both are fine, high end Sharps reproductions.  So it is kind of like comparing apples and apples.   

I have a C-Sharps Hartford model with the Badger barrel in 45-70 which is perfect in my mind.  I have not shot it yet, but will this season.  The fit and finish are fantastic.  I am guessing I will barely feel the recoil since it is a very heavy gun.  I think the wait for a Shiloh is longer than the C-Sharps, and C-Sharps usually has some in the pipe production line ready for custom features to be added which reduces the turn around time.  Now that I got the ball rolling, maybe others will chime in.  Regards. Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:27:05 AM »

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 12:34:38 PM »
Just placed an order for C. Sharps 1875 Sporting rifle in 40-65 with a tapered octagon barrel, pistol grip and checkered steel buttplate.  I was told I should have it in my paws in 90 days or less-- probably 6 weeks. I also ordered the trigger pull set at 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.  After seeing both, I would say which ever one you want-- both are first class.  Either one will appreciate in value.
French Jack

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 01:09:24 PM »
 Guess my answer here wouldn't be any different than the one I gave on leverguns... ::) ;D

French Jack I sure do like my 75 sporting and target in 45-70 and round barrel. I ordered the fancy walnut and had them tune the trigger, and it was still only a little over 30 days from order to delivery.  Have put around 1000 rounds thru it since December, and it just keeps on making me smile. ;D

Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 05:39:08 PM »
I've got one of each...

The Shiloh was ordered and I waited >4 yr.s for.  I paid for a few extras and the wood on that one reflects it.

The C. Sharps I bought out of their showroom and it was built to represent a standard "working rifle" such as might have been shipped to one of the many dealers out west in the early 1870s.  As such it reflects that in its wood and also the military style buttplate.

But other than that the finish on both rifles is comparable.  The C. Sharps has a Badger Barrel on it, which some shooters might favor.

Both rifles shoot just great!

I'd be happy with either brand.
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
I shot a friends 45/90 Shiloh a few years ago and WOW we put a 6'' group at 400 yards. My wife happened to be there and she thought I would have to  order one right then and there, I surprised her and waited a year. It took 14 months to get,  which gave me a chance to save for it. I got the extra fancy wood and other upgrades and it is a beautiful gun. I think the c.sharps are excellent too although Shiloh has Tom selleck and the movie behind them
Born 110 years too late

Offline Lone Oak

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 08:12:33 PM »
Back in the mid '90's I tried several guy's Shiloh's and C. Sharps out and they both were great shooters. When I decided to take the plunge, Shiloh had a 5 year wait and C. Sharps had a 3 year wait. I opted for a barreled 1874 action from C. Sharps, .40-70SS, 32" #1 heavy. Took 6 months to get, then over the winter I stocked it with some figured walnut. I really like it and even if the .40-70 is on the light side for the buffalo matches at Ackley, with the 455gr bullet it'll do OK. Either one of the Big Timber guns are top shelf. L.O.

Offline El Mac

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »
Thanks to all that replied!  I 'preciate the knowledge you guys have...

Offline sharps50/70

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
I've owned one C Sharps and 6 Shilohs.  Both are great rifles.  Shiloh's might be a very small bit better finished but they all shot the same, great!  Shiloh makes more styles of rifles; the 1863 percussion paper cartridge rifles of the Civil War and the cartridge 1874 carbines and military rifles.  C Sharps makes the buffalo rifles of the 1870's.

Shiloh has a two year waiting period for production guns while C Sharps has a three month wait.  You just must make up your mind about what you want.

Rich

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 12:40:02 AM »
Here's a pic of my galfriend, Miss Lil, getting ready to touch off my 16# C. Sharps "Big 50" (and it IS!)  Except for the plain wood on this one, (that's how most of the "working guns" were) the fit and finish is identical to my Shiloh.

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 09:34:32 PM »
Grogun, what are the specs on that barrel? How long and which weight? Do you have a full length picture of it?

Thanks,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
Let's see if this works...

The rifle weighs in right at 16#.  The barrel's 30" long.

Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Offline HorsePen Henry

• Horse Pen Henry aka M.T. Hulls
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys...and Indians.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 08:01:22 AM »
Thanks Grogun and it works!! Beefy rifle!! Looks like what I have in mind only a little lighter both in caliber and barrel weight. I like the beefier looking guns. I guess it's cause I have been shooting the Hawkens so long. I am surprised that the barrel is a full 30" long.

Thanks for the picture,

X Horse Pen
The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best.
-Will Rogers-

The price of FREEDOM is in blood and money and time. Mostly in blood. It aint free.
Belly up to the bar and quit yer bitchin'. Be grateful to those who have paid the ultimate price.
-Horse Pen-

"Never squat with yer spurs on and never high five a baby after waffles."
-author unknown, but it coulda been Will Rogers-

NCOWS#3091
STORM #300

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 09:56:17 AM »
Thanks Grogun and it works!! Beefy rifle!! Looks like what I have in mind only a little lighter both in caliber and barrel weight. I like the beefier looking guns. I guess it's cause I have been shooting the Hawkens so long. I am surprised that the barrel is a full 30" long.

Thanks for the picture,

X Horse Pen

I think the apparent "shortness" is due to the angle the photo was taken at.

If you notice the photo was taken from slightly behind the rifle's butt, thus it's a quartering shot looking at the barrel.  Viewed from directly abeam, the barrel would appear both heavier and longer...it is!
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com