Author Topic: Is case hardening nessesary?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline CarverTripp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is case hardening nessesary?
« on: April 25, 2008, 12:58:16 PM »
Hello to all,
Over the past months I've been refinishing my U1876 and I'm currently in the process of filing the barrel flats, flat. The barrel came off fairly easily. So far the stock has been refinished, (great wood under the Uberti finish), and all the outside metal parts have been filed and sanded smooth. I'm wanting to engrave the reciever and then do a rust blueing on the barrel and reciever. At the moment the reciever is still quite hard and I'm not sure, if softened, that it would be safe to shoot. In the end I do not want a color case finish.
My question is #1, will heating the reciever to a dull red soften it for engraving? and then#2 can it be left soft with only a rust blue finish and still be safe? BTW, I only shoot BP out of my lever guns.
Thanks for any comments,
Carver
NRA member
NCSA member

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
Re: Is case hardening nessesary?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 03:52:59 PM »
I don't know about the 76 but I've  engraved right through the "case hardening" on a '73 Ubrert cattleman. Ony two parts where anywhere near hard, the cylinder and the loading gate. The rest cut like butter.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/Gunmaker/engraved%20uberti%20colt/
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 10:48:57 PM »
I have an early Uberti 73 that has been engraved.  I watched the fella do most of the work, and it presented no problems.  He engraved right through the color case.  Don't have any first hand knowledge of the CC put on the U76. :-\

The original Winchester 1873 and 1876 were finished in "bright blue" as standard.  Color case was an option, so, at least in the case of the originals, the case would not seem to be related to the strength of the action.

I think I would give someone like Mike Hunter or Doug Turnbull as call and see what their experience is in terms of bluing the case colored receivers.  Here Mikes web site:  http://www.hunterrestorations.com/

Sounds like a neat project.  Keep us posting on your progress, and..............................

DON'T FORGET THE PICS! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:22:50 PM »

Offline ART C GUNN

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 08:04:15 AM »
The color case hardening is not necessary on a 73 or 76 for strength as was stated.
Now speaking as an engraver with over 30 years of experience........so you can take it any way you want to.......I would NEVER engrave through the case colors. Yes I know people do this. However, to do a proper job, when you are finished you will have slight burrs that need fine sanding. Also while the case hardness is rather thin, it is inconsistant. That will also affect they way my gravers cut. This does not give me the accuracy for the quality work that my clients are paying big bucks for. When the colors and hardness are properly removed by annealing, Doug T usually does mine, the gun can then be reblued or re-color hardened and look first class. This all costs time and money which some people are adverse to.
Guys.you get what you pay for.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
The color case hardening is not necessary on a 73 or 76 for strength as was stated.
Now speaking as an engraver with over 30 years of experience........so you can take it any way you want to.......I would NEVER engrave through the case colors. Yes I know people do this. However, to do a proper job, when you are finished you will have slight burrs that need fine sanding. Also while the case hardness is rather thin, it is inconsistant. That will also affect they way my gravers cut. This does not give me the accuracy for the quality work that my clients are paying big bucks for. When the colors and hardness are properly removed by annealing, Doug T usually does mine, the gun can then be reblued or re-color hardened and look first class. This all costs time and money which some people are adverse to.
Guys.you get what you pay for.

What Art says is true in my case.  I can feel fine burrs on the lines.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline CarverTripp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 08:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback pards, I've got some pics to share uploaded to photobucket but can't seem to upload em here :-\
Anyway, good to know the reciever doesn't have to be hardened to be safe. I'll be doing the engraving myelf and can't imagine trying to engrave hardened steel. I know it's done but it must be a bear! I'll keep working on the pics
Carver
NRA member
NCSA member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com