Author Topic: Hot Loads !  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Escopeta Jake

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hot Loads !
« on: April 08, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »

Well, I have a couple of questions for this post.
First off, I've got an Armi-Sport Quigley in 45-70, and LOVE it, it's one heck of a rifle, even if it's a bit nose heavy.
So on with the story,
I was looking online the other day for some ammo and ran across some 510grain 45-70 +p hollow points
and the more I think of it the more I want to try the load in my rifle.
So, questions:

#1: Does anyone here shoot "hot" loads (store bought or reloaded) in there Sharps ?

#2: Will the Armi-Spot rifles hold up with "hot" loads ?

#3: What kind of accuracy can you get with "hot" loads ?

Thanks,
EJ

p.s. Thanks to Cimarron Firearms !

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Hot Loads !
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »
O.k., I only have one suggestion for you on this...

Remember that the Sharps Rifle/s were based off an 1850's design originally intended for BP "Paper" (o.k., maybe Linen) Cartridges!

So do this (I have and I think it's most revealing)...

L@@K at that large action, that massive Breechblock.  Looks pretty good, pretty STRONG, eh?  :D

Now DROP the big Breechblock OUT of your action and view the rifle from on top, looking down (or from the bottom looking up).

Notice those SKINNY sidewalls! 

Do you still have that "warm all over" feeling? ???

Hehe, if you're like me, you realize what you're looking at was originally made for ~20,000 psi pressures and that's IT! :o

(I'm not saying I have ever tested nor have I seen information on the true strength of these actions)

I'm just pointing out what I SEE when I look at that action, stripped naked.

Break out your "Hot" Smokeless...I'm stickin w/my Blackpowder. ;)
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »
Well, I have a couple of questions for this post.
First off, I've got an Armi-Sport Quigley in 45-70, and LOVE it, it's one heck of a rifle, even if it's a bit nose heavy.
So on with the story,
I was looking online the other day for some ammo and ran across some 510grain 45-70 +p hollow points
and the more I think of it the more I want to try the load in my rifle.
So, questions:

#1: Does anyone here shoot "hot" loads (store bought or reloaded) in there Sharps ?

#2: Will the Armi-Spot rifles hold up with "hot" loads ?

#3: What kind of accuracy can you get with "hot" loads ?

Thanks,
EJ

p.s. Thanks to Cimarron Firearms !

Please dont try any hot loads like you describe until you get some responses from knowledgable people here.  I know that with my C-Sharps the manufacturer specifically warns agains +p loads.   These guns were designed for Blackpowder.  I think you could easily get away with smokeless that are loaded like our other cowboy rounds, but .......  again wait for some experts to come on board here.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:54:26 PM »

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »
I beleive my Pedersoli is rated up to to 25000 lbs of pressure, the hot load that you're talking about with that heavy of a bullet is probably getting close to double that. Remember that these guns were designed for black powder and when you get the loads right they shoot extremly well, at some of the shoots I have been at some people have shot smokeless (usually beginners including myself)  without much success. After asking questions and learning at the next shoot they always show up with black
  btb
Born 110 years too late

Offline John Henry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 07:20:46 PM »
     Buffalo Bros. carries the P+ loads (compressed smokeless) and states they can be safely shot in Ruger #1, C. Sharps, Shiloh Sharps, and Pedersoli. I have a box of tweny rounds of this in 405 grn. and haven't touched one off yet. Chicken? I think probably so ;D, I'm savin em for that special occasion ;)

Offline sharps50/70

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 07:27:28 PM »
Folks who make the Shiloh Sharps have said on their web site that you can use 45/70 loads safe for Ruger #1, Marlins and Browning.  I believe that C Sharps rifles have the same strength but I would not try those loads in any other Sharps replica.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com