Author Topic: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »
Anyone who reads the "Rats" section of this forum knows that I've recently purchased a Ruger Alaskan in caliber 454 Casull / 45 Colt.  I was unable to fire 454 Casull ammo on the indoor range where I practise so have yet to "feel the power".  I set the adjustable sigts to hit dead on at 20 yards with the 45 Colt Corbon 200 gr. JHP load, which by the way, are marked +P on the new boxes but not so marked on the older boxes I have of this ammo.  This is the load I put in the gun and the speed loaders for street carry.  At home I load the gun and speed loaders with the 225 gr. Winchester Silver Tip hollow points in caliber 45 Colt.  Judging from the recoil, I'd say the Winchester load is quite a bit milder than the Corbon load.

There is quite an array of different 454 Casull factory ammo available.  Everything from fairly mild all copper hollow point ammo up to very powerful Mag Tech loads in semi-jacketed wad cutters.  Does anyone out there know of a gun magazine that did a write up of this gun, testing the various factory loads available for it?  I've probably read it but, not owning an Alaskan at the time I did not file it in the permanent memory bank and would like to re-read it now.   ???
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 454
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:22:12 PM »
Take a look 'n see if this helps, Danny. Goodle has a bunch.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454.htm
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 11:45:46 PM »
Thanks Arcey.  Since posting this I've found a couple of articles printed in the past in "Handguns" and in the "American Handgunner" sites.  Between them there were tests of a couple of the 454 loads and one tested the Silver Tips.  Some help but not much.  I tried the site you posted but was unable to get the search engine to work.  I'll try it again later.

Thanks again.   ;)
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:48:00 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com