Author Topic: Chewing on a modification  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
Chewing on a modification
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:24:52 PM »
I got my 1876 from Taylor's a couple weeks ago, just about ready to start reloading when I get done with my taxes... :-X I've been handling the gun alot, and find this may be uncomfortable for me to shoot. I've never gotten along well with crescent buttplates so I'm considering a shotgun style buttplate which I know is historically correct. I'm also considering a 14" pull over the 13" pull the gun now has. Of course I'll have to dig around a little and put a high end piece of walnut in it too. ;D Anybody else Change out these Uberti stocks for something that will make the rifle fit you better?
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Chewing on a modification
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 03:52:45 PM »
Hi, Roosterman. 

I don't know of anyone who makes a replacement shotgun style stock for either the original or the replicas.  Maybe Buck or someone else may know of a source.

I have seen a couple of 1873s that have had the stock cut straight and then fitted with a shotgun style butt plate, or covered with a padded stock boot.   The boot hides the obvious piece that must be added to fill the gap left by the crescent butt plate. 

Before modifying your rifle to a shotgun butt you might try the rifle with the crescent butt plate.  Rifles with crescent butts require a little different technique than rifles with a shotgun butt.  The stock is not designed to "go in the pocket" as my old DI used to say.  Instead, they are intended to be mounted out a bit farther with the butt on and around the shoulder joint, with the elbow up.  Once  mounted, drop the elbow to "lock" the rifle in place.  If done properly, they are pretty comfortable to shoot. :)

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:27:54 PM »
Hey Grizz!
 Just kicking some thoughts around. I was perusing some old Rock Island Auction catalogs and saw some originals with shotgun buttplates on them. I'm real used to wide flat muzzleloading buttplates , so I thought this may be something for me to try out. I have the skill to make one from a blank, so a pre made buttstock won't be an issue. www.fowlingguns.com . Regardless, I'll be shooting it the way it is now for probably at least through the summer. I won't be able to work it into my schedule  untill at least next fall.... You know how it is, the cobbler's children never have shoes. :P
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:59:28 PM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:07:09 PM »
Hey Grizz!
 Just kicking some thoughts around. I was perusing some old Rock Island Auction catalogs and saw some originals with shotgun buttplates on them. I'm real used to wide flat muzzleloading buttplates , so I thought this may be something for me to try out. I have the skill to make one from a blank, so a pre made buttstock won't be an issue. www.fowlingguns.com . Regardless, I'll be shooting it the way it is now for probably at least through the summer. I won't be able to work it into my schedule  untill at least next fall.... You know how it is, the cobbler's children never have shoes. :P

next fall.... You know how it is, the cobbler's children never have shoes. :P
[/quote]

I have to agree that the SG stock is nice.  I have an 1876 short rifle, round barrel, and  SG stock and I really enjoy it. ;D

I wish Uberti or Chaparral would offer this model. :)

By the way, you do beautiful work! :)  You know, there just might be a market for Shotgun stocks to go on some of these replicas. ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline OKDEE

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 06:29:14 PM »
Hey Roosterman!

Try this outfit in Texas!  www.precisiongunstocks.com

They may have a lead or two for you.  Seems they had some stuff burnup and are getting back in business.

Oklahoma Dee

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »
Grizz:
I have both styles.  the shotgun is on my .33 M-86 and the curved is on my Cimmie, my 45-90 and my 32-20 M-92.  Actually, I do prefer the curved buttplate but how you hold it to your shoulder makes a world of difference.  If you hold it in like with a modern rifle it'll kick the crap out of you but if you hold it down on your arm a tad then that is where it is designed to be and it is not bad at all.  Got a Hawken rifle and made the mistake of holding it in and it did kick the wholly living crap out of me.  Was shooting 150 grains of FFFg under a patch round ball.  Never made that mistake again.  But against the arm-just below the shoulder all day and no problem.  just thought that I would pass this on.  Myself, I wouldnt' change the exisiting butt plate. ;)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Joe Lansing

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:20 PM »
    Try PRECISION GUN WORKS. They List a '76 stock with a shotgun butt, but it say's "not available at this time". Give them a call and see what's up.

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 10:07:55 PM »
Precision was about the ony one that commonly listed them but they are out of commision in the near term.  You might give treebone a call.  They have more than what they list on the site.  If nothing else, maybe they would use your stock for a template to duplicate one in a shotgun pattern.  http://www.treebonecarving.com/id12.html

Hey Grizz, did you ever come up with a shotgun 86 stock?

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 11:06:40 PM »
Precision was about the ony one that commonly listed them but they are out of commision in the near term.  You might give treebone a call.  They have more than what they list on the site.  If nothing else, maybe they would use your stock for a template to duplicate one in a shotgun pattern.  http://www.treebonecarving.com/id12.html

Hey Grizz, did you ever come up with a shotgun 86 stock?

Hi, Leverluver.

Nope, not yet, but the year is young!......  8)  Still looking! :)
GAF

Offline Leverluver

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
This is the reply that I got from Treebone when asked about the 76 SGB stock.

"Mike, I have a nice pattern for a 76 shotgun butt, and I am confident it will work on an italian.
price depends on grade of wood, starting at 120. in good standard walnut."

Just an update; Treebone considers their stocks as a 90% fit, so it will take a little bit of work to fit it up.  They do have a Uberti 76 stock in house and when compared to the original, they say the two are very close. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com