Author Topic: 160 gr vs.200 gr  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Dead Eye Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
160 gr vs.200 gr
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:46:42 AM »
I have been ordering .45 LC cartridges from Great Basin Cartridge Co. for a couple of months now.  Great cartridges by the way.  I notice that the 160 grain kicks more than the 200 grain.  Might this be because the same amount of powder goes in the cartridges but the 160 grain is lighter and therefore has more recoil?  Am I crazy?  Insane?  Or close to right in my thoughts? 

DB

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
Re: 160 gr vs.200 gr
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:48 AM »
The lighter bullet will be moving faster, be louder (half of perceived recoil is noise), and yes, may kick a little "sharper" though the actual recoil energy may be the same or less than the slower, "push" from the 200.

It's tough to get the 160 slowed down enough in the big ole .45 Colt case and still have shoot accurately. This is part of the reason for the development of the Cowboy .45 Special cartridge.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

Offline Dead Eye Dave

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:43 AM »
How is the Cowboy .45 Special as a cartridge?  Any "cowboy" guns that it wouldn't work well with?  Pistol or rifle?

DB

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:41:12 AM »

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 10:52:28 PM »
Howdy DED,

Check out the thread at the Darksiders Den.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,19557.0.html

It will make it easier to use on the toggle link Winchester clones.  ;D

Will work in .45 cal. revolvers chambered for 45 S & W and 45 Colt
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Button

• Active citizen
  • THE MOUSTACHE IS REAL.
    • Ottawa Valley Marauders
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 02:27:36 AM »
Takes quite a bit more powder to get a 160 gr goin' than a 200 gr. The heavier the bullet, the less powder required & vice versa, SMOKELESS ONLY. Git yer laughin' gear 'round that  :o
DEEDS  SPEAK

Offline Adirondack Jack

• Top Active Citizen
    • www.cowboy45special.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:54:56 PM »
Cowboy .45 Special will work in any handgun ever chambered for .45 Colt or .45 S&W.  it also happens to work very nicely in almost all handguns chambered for .45 ACP as well.

In rifles, there are three distinct choices.

Marlins require fairly extensive re-work, currently only being done by Spur spur45@macomb.com   About fifteen such rifles currently exist, of which I own #s 1 and 2 ;)  It's a durn hillbilly assault rifle, Har!

The new carrier soon to be released (I just got my production prototypes for field demonstration and show and tell today, and as soon as we round up the carrier blanks we have on order and get the CNC work scheduled, a production run will commence) will make '66 and '73 rifles run with it also.  The carrier ought to run as well as whatever ya got now, with no palpable difference, and  allow use of lighter bullets with decent accuracy.  A '60 Henry version will follow shortly thereafter.

I am told that at least some winchester '94AEs chambered in .45 colt will run the cartridge just as they are.  I have not tried it, but I have a report that one feller tried it and lo and behind they fed flawlessly.  Not that I'd suggest a 94AE as a "gamer rifle", but if ya got one and like it.....

The short case severely reduced case capacity and RAISES pressures (just like .45 ACP VS Long Colt) so at modest levels with light bullets we still get enough pressure for a decent burn. I have successfully shot bullets as heavy as 318 grains, and as light as 120 grains with the short cases.
Warthog, Dirty Rat, SBSS OGBx3, maker of curious little cartridges

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com