Author Topic: Soda Pop  (Read 24314 times)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Soda Pop
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
I used to bring back Big Red from Texas, but now you can't carry liquids on the airplanes anymore. :(

I've always thought Mr. Pibb to be sweeter than Dr. Pepper.  Now, they've added even more sugar and dropped the formalities.  He's now just known as Pibb or Pibb Xltra.

I've had a frosty Moosehead a time or two. ;D

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 08:13:33 PM »
Don’t think I’ve ever had a Mr. Pibbs. Doc Pepper never was a favorite. Had this thread in mind when I went ta the grocery taday. No Nehi grape to be found. Used ta really like that stuff. Ain’t had one in I don’t know when.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »
them 16 oz. Nehi bellywashers, Orange and Grape,  good, but the stickest pop I ever saw, get a drop on ya nd it'd be good and sticky till ya washed it off.  ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:56:54 PM »

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 08:38:02 PM »
I just did a quick search and found that I'm not the only one who got a kick out of this stuff.  When I was in school, I started a collection of "Dr." sodas but I never took it this far. ;D

http://members.tripod.com/lchristensen/drs/index.html
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 08:49:33 PM »
Don’t think I ever got any on me, OT.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
That White Rock Company makes Sioux City Sasparilla. Been a while since I saw/had any.....Buck 8) ::) :o :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »
I want some o' that Kaintuck Nip!  I'm partial to red drinks.

I had some of that Sioux City "Sarsaparilla" years ago in Colorado.  Haven't seen it around here.  From what I recall, it was pretty tasty.

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 12:52:30 AM »
Can't find sarsaparilla round here no more.  Not at the local markets anyway.  Gotta check them Yuppie liquour stores or upscale gourmet type markets.   ???  I'm seriously thinking about getting somekind of syrup or something or other online and mix my own.   ;)

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 07:38:03 PM »
When I waz in 8th grade and had a newspaper route, there waz a gas station with a Coke machine outside. It waz one of the old ones that the bottles stood in tub of ice, and you paid your money and slide it thru a rail and lifted it out. Me and a pard (delinquent) would go there with a bottle opener and a straw and have a coke on our route..took about a week before it got locked up.

My ex father in law gave us a Coke machine from his shop when it closed down, When it got to my house it was almost pristine upright machine, it originally took nickel and had been modified to dime. It kept cokes as cold as you wanted it (adjustable temp)
when we sold off our Coke collection we got $500 for it..(not bad for getting it for free, but sure would get more now...)

just a couple of memories..

Curley who just had a cold bottle of Coke..
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 11:54:43 PM »
Best Coke I ever had was in rural Mexico.  Saw some Mexican Coke in the grocery store but it was pretty pricey.  Have to wait till April and the pension check comes.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2008, 09:58:49 PM »
Wal-Mart has Mexican Cokes for sale right now...who'd thought $1.29 a bottle. they also have the second in the series of the old time Coke bottles, this one is the diamond shaped label..they are pretty cool. Just got a couple of FOUR paks today

Old Top is a Dr Pepper man, and is right fond of the Dublin bottles with Imperial Sugar. His daughter brings him some when she visits and I get him some from a little store in Pismo Beach (at $15 a 6pak) guess we really love him..hehehe
curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 03:03:44 PM »
The only place that they sell them around here is the DP Museum in Waco, the bottling plant at Dublin, and in some grocery stores in county where Dublin is in.  The cans are easier for me to find than the bottles.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »
A soda party up Slim's way that might be interesting to ya.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23851011/
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2008, 08:11:04 PM »
I'll jump in here with my first post on this board.......
Been a Voyeur for many years......Somebody wispered in my ear the other day, "Kid come chat with us".........

Soda pop......Carbonated beverage........Primo stuff.........
The thirst quencher of my youth..........
Lots of the brands of my youth are no longer available......Some still are....Very nostalgic stuff....

My first attempt at making my own soda turned our surprisingly well, considering I was pretty young......

12 or 13 abouts......

Never being one to fear messing up the kitchen, was told I could as long as I cleaned up the mess when done..........
Mom was very supportive of my culinary endeavours.....Childish as they were at the time......I did create a heck of a Hunters Stew that was composed primarily of what I could find in the garden and any leftovers from the frig..

I used to go grocery shopping with my Mom as a child mainly along to help keep an eye on my little sister.....
This one trip to the grocer I notice he has Sasparilla wood root chips in celophene bags......
I was thrilled.....Making my own Root Beer came immediatly to mind.....I talked my Mom into also buying several bags of the wood chips....I was a pretty goood talker........ ;D

Several days later my first attempt at doing something with the wood chips was to make a boiiled infusion......Tea..
It was pretty good in fact. I had everyone in my family taste it, and they all liked it..
Picture hot root beer tea..........Sugar to taste.........

As I was an avid modeler (Airplanes) I had one plane which sported a CO2 motor. Remember the little silver colored CO2 cartridges which worked also in the old Benjamin air pistols? Same ones in my plane..............Same ones in my fathers seltzer maker.  Can I use this Dad?......"FOR WHAT?". I want to carbonize water......."OK, DON'T BUST IT"............

I made an infusion of my Sasparilla root chips, with sugar, actually as I look back I used Karo Syrup, corn syrup.....It's what was available in my Mom's kitchen. Mom had lots of stuff in her kitchen, she loved to cook well........

After letting my infusion of root set in the frig to cool overnight, I poured some into my Pop's carbonizing contraption.
It was a bit bigger then a present day coctail shaker, but was constructed more along the liines of a pressure cooker, with the mechanics to discharge a CO2 cartridge right into the interior......Rather cool little device........My Pappy liked Scotch and soda......Made his own Quinine soda......Said it was closer to the soda water he got in Scotland and Iceland where he spent the war.............

Well anyway......I got rave reveues from my family, for my home made Root Beer..............
Had some fun doing it..........Liked trying new things
Moved on to other explorations......

The point being, if you can come up with a means to carbonize your mix, ya'll can make soda from durn near anything.

What a good Bloody Mary you could mix with Tomato Soda.........

CK, always pushin the envelope.........   ;D

I'll try to behave myself, somebody told me the Mod is a crabby Ol'Frt............ ;D
NRA Endowment, Instructor
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »

I'll try to behave myself, somebody told me the Mod is a crabby Ol'Frt............ ;D

Glad to have ya here, just thought you seem to like food an cookin' well here's another place to talk about it.  And yeah, that moderator and I don't always get along. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
Ol' Pfart?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »
Ol' Pfart?

Is that another sodapop brand?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Cary Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2008, 04:37:52 PM »
Oops, I think I may have started something here.... ;D

It's not actually a soda.....
It's a term of endearment.............
NRA Endowment, Instructor
SASS Lifer
WTUS # 3 The real # 3
AF & AM..........
BP Warthog Gunfighter
FlapJack turner Deluxe

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
CK,

Then, you won't mind if i copyright the name and bring out a beverage with that name?? ??? ;D ;) ::) ;D  Better not make it smell like it's name! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com