Author Topic: Merwins in the movies  (Read 6001 times)

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Merwins in the movies
« on: March 11, 2008, 11:40:08 PM »
I don't know if this should be here or in the BOSS forum? 

Anyway, I've got the Merwin bug and all of a sudden I'm seeing them in the movies.  The two that I've seen recently were "The Rough Riders" and (of all things) Godfather II -??? 

In the Rough Riders the Merwin is shown at the beginning when the stagecoach was being robbed and Buck Taylor's character has a beautiful full-size open top army.  In Godfather II - during the Robert DeNiro scenes - his friend Clemenza gives him a bag of guns to keep and one of them is an open top Army with a cut barrel.  The same gun is pulled when they are in someones house stealing a rug and a cop comes to the door - it's weird that I never noticed them before as I've seen both movies before this week.

Ok, apparently, Patrick Swayze (I wish him well) carried two Merwins in "A Tall Tale" as Pecos Bill - some sort of Disney kids movie?  I've never seen it - can anyone verify.

Anybody know of other Merwins in the movies?  Thanks!

Zip
So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Merwins in the movies
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 12:50:34 AM »
One gunsmoke movie (Return To Dodge?) has one at the beginning...square butt open top. IIRC.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »
Thanks Forty Rod.

There is also supposed to be a Merwin in Tombstone - the scene is right after the Earps get to the town and meet Doc Holiday for the first time - the see Buck Taylor's character - Turkey Creek? - coming out of a saloon and he has to shoot a drunk after he "crawfished on a bet and called me a liar" - the drunk has a Merwin.  I can't make it out clearly on my small tv - can anyone confirm?

Zip
So what else is on your mind besides hundred-proof women, 'n' ninety-proof whiskey, 'n' fourteen-carat gold?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:53:38 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »
Seems to me someone was carrying a MH in The Unforgiven, too. 

I know these was a Schofield, but it's been a long time and my rememberer doesn't work as well as it once did.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »
The Mummy, 1999, starring Brendan Fraser. He is on a riverboat, the boat gets attacked by protectors of the secret book. He is wearing a brace of MH's in shoulder holsters, is seen shooting them, leaning up against a cabin wall on the deck and reloading them. It is great to see them being reloaded!
At least this is what my recaller recalls.
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe 

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 09:41:32 AM »
Do these look like a brace of Merwins to anyone?

Ol Gabe - I don't think those were Merwins - they were some French pistol - Lebels?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 01:47:21 PM »
Do these look like a brace of Merwins to anyone?

They were double-action, I remember that.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 09:26:09 PM »
Buck is a friend of mine and I will ask him about it when I see him next time.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

1stSgt Fritz King

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 06:17:43 AM »
Actually, in the The Mummy, Brenda Fraiser is carrying a brace of M1873 Chamelot-Delvigne 11mm french ordnance revolvers.  I have two.  One is complete, one is missing a few parts.  I still have to work up a load for them.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
Ok, I'll stand corrected, thought for sure the scene on the riverboat had him shooting and reloading MH's as it seemed he was sliding the cylinder forward as on a MH. Guess I'll have to go back and freeze frame it again. I agree that he was shooting other revolvers and rifles, all French more than likely since he was with the Foreign Legion, but it seemed that he changed firearms once he was on the hunt for the treasure and on the boat with Racheal W. and the others. This was in the first of the two movies, what does he use in the 'Return' movie? 
Zip Wyatt, just curious, but what movie is that pic from and who are the actors? Sure looks period correct.
Best regards and good viewing!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Boot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 01:41:09 PM »
I'm not sure, as I haven't seen it for some time, but didn't Clell Miller Alias Randy Quaid have a Merwin Hulbert pocket ?
He pulled it on the guitar player for playing some Yankee tune in The Long Riders.

Boot.
One should always play fairly, when one holds the winning cards. Oscar Wilde

Offline Early Graves

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »
The Mummy, 1999, starring Brendan Fraser. He is on a riverboat, the boat gets attacked by protectors of the secret book. He is wearing a brace of MH's in shoulder holsters, is seen shooting them, leaning up against a cabin wall on the deck and reloading them. It is great to see them being reloaded!
At least this is what my recaller recalls.
'Ol Gabe 

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »
There is supposed to be one in "The Lawman" starring Burt Lancaster.  Robert Duvall's character has one or is given one.  Again, I can't confirm this.

Zip

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »
Yes, the drunk shot by Turkey Creek Jack Johnson (Buck Taylor's character) in "Tombstone" was carrying a Merwin & Hulbert, and is shot by an 1875 Remington! 

Jake

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »
Jake,

How on earth did you see that on the DVD?  I mean you can see Buck Tayler reloading the Remington when he was taking to Wyatt and Doc after the shooting but I just can't get a good look at the Merwin.  Time to buy one of them new fangled 60-inch TVs! Maybe after I win a lottery or two?

Zip

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 08:49:54 AM »
Z.W.,
Had a chance yet to identify the actors and the movie from the pic you posted earlier? It almost looks like Patrick Swayze!
'Ol Gabe

Offline Zip Wyatt

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 11:18:26 PM »
Ol Gabe,

It is Patrick Swazey but I don't know who the kid is.

Boot - I finally got to see "The Long Riders" and Randy Quaid did indeed carry a Merwin.  It was a double action, so-called third model frontier army.  Pretty good movie hampered by the Keach brother who played Jesse James - he's not a very good actor - he had two emotions 1) PO'd and 2) really PO'd.  The Caradines were all good though as the Younger Brothers.

Zip

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
The actor playing the kid in the picture is Nick Stahl.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 03:06:51 AM »
That movie dealt with mythical characters like Pecos Bill, John Henry, amd Paul Bunyand.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
Zip,

I just got me an "eye" for them strange and weird non-Colt revolvers in Westerns, I guess!  ;D

Jake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com