Author Topic: NWMP 76 calibur  (Read 15160 times)

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NWMP 76 calibur
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
Hobie,
From what I've read, the problems with Dominion ammo were many.  Cartridges that were either too large or too small for chambers, split shell casings, misfires, inconsistant powder charges, faulty primers and bullets that gave very erratic performance.  Sounds to me like they were pretty much junk.

It is funny that you should pose the question about guns being lost.  I was talking with a friend in Calgary yesterday who has a rusty dug-up NWMP carbine.  He in fact is sending me pictures of it next week.  He said it was found at Duck Lake, a battle site in north central Saskatchewan.  The Duck Lake battle took place in March, 1885, during the North West Rebellion.  My friend first saw the gun many years ago, hanging on the wall of an old gun shop in Great Falls.  He gave the shop owner a bad time when ever he saw him and finally the gunsmith gave him the rusty carbine. 

I have another friend in Wyoming who collects Mountie carbines, all of which are very interesting.  However, he has one gun inparticular that really is a historic piece.  In the book called "Arms and Accoutrements of the Mounted Police" by Roger Phillips and Don Klancher, there are several serial numbers listed of guns that went missing while on the prairie.  One such gun is serial number 23911.  It is listed as being "lost by Constable A. Webb, while on patrol near Maple Creek".  Well, this gun is hanging on the wall in my friends gun room in Wyoming.  The gun is not in rusty 'as found" condition however.  It looks like it may have been lost but then found shortly thereafter by Indians.  It is quite rough from use, but all there and really cool.   This is fun.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Buck;  I PM'd you.  I found the picture.  It was in OUTLAWS & LAWMEN OF WESTERN CANADA, Vol.2, 1983, Heritage Publishing. ISBN 0-919214-54-1 (v.2)

The text says Allmighty Voice's rifle was a .45-75, page 108, and at page 111 it specifies that Sgt Colebrook was killed by a "heavy .45 calibre slug", but the photo on the back cover, and at page 117, show a short forestocked saddle ring carbine.  My impression from a glance at the photo is that the action seems a bit small for a '76.  Perhaps it is a mistake, and really was a '73 src?  The photo credits are unclear, but either the RCMP archives or the Glenbow Archives.

I will have to enquire about the RCMP records.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 09:58:02 AM »
Sir Charles,
I really appreciate the information.  I'll check on the book and get back to you.  It may be as you suggested, a mistake in labeling the photo.

Thanks again,
Buck

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:41:09 AM »

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »
Thanks.  I'd looked up Almighty Voice and Duck Lake.  I'm surprised more guns weren't lost from canoes or York boats. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com