Author Topic: Cleaning the Rodeo?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline gunguy77

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cleaning the Rodeo?
« on: March 06, 2008, 04:54:15 PM »
Howdy Friends ;D,

I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a cleaner to use on the Rodeo's matte finish.  I pretty much use a silicon cloth on my other guns along with ezox, but is there something better to use on the matte blue?

Thanks,

Bob

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Cleaning the Rodeo?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:34 PM »
Bob,
Can''t believe that some of our Rodeo owners haven't given you an answer yet!
I don't own any Rodeos but am willing to bet dollars to donuts that anything you use on a regular blue finish will work just fine with the rodeo.  To the best of my knowledge, it is just basic bluing on a bead blasted surface.
CJF 
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Johnny Dingus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 04:32:41 PM »
Capt John,

Would reply but since I cleaned my Rodeo's they just don' look like Rodeo's any more.

Hope you all understand why.  I jus wouldn' want to misslead someone on the proper way to clean one.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:59:27 AM »

Offline DerekR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 04:43:15 PM »
I use Hoppes #9, Rem-Oil, Breakfree. I have found nothing yet that has Harmed mine. But, having said that, I would prefer mine look like Johnny's above! I figure they will eventually as long as I do my part and shoot it constantly!

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 02:26:35 PM »
All I ever use is Breakfree.  I can wipe some on internals and externals and leave overnight without ever worrying.  I am always careful to wipe away any bore cleaner that may have run on to the finish because some of the more concentrated ones, like Hoppes or Tetra, if left on for a while they definitely can take off some of the blueing.  Also, stay away from the sonic style cleaning methods, as they will remove any guns finish if left in to long.  After assembling my Rodeo, I use Birchwood Casey Silicone Cloths to wipe down, and she is ready to go. 

Offline North Bender

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »
I'm a Rodeo owner but I've been travelling lately with no time on line.

gunguy, you say you use Eezox.  That's what I use on all my blued firearms, and it really brings out the finish on my Rodeo.  To use the stuff right, and you probably know this, you have to put on a coat, let it sit 24-hours, wipe it off, and put on a real thin coat and let that dry.  It can be tricky to use but it makes my Rodeo almost look like a polished blued firearm.

I've never convinced myself Eezox is a dry lubricant as well.  It may be; I don't know.  On semi-autos I grease the rails and moving parts.  On my Rodeo I use add Ballistol on the cylinder pin and around the cylinder face and cylinder ratchet area.

Offline rafterp

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 01:17:19 PM »
Mr. Johnny, those Rodeos look great! I wasn't sure what you meant in your post, but can you tell us how you got them to look like that? I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it looked like those. Thanks.

Offline Johnny Dingus

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 09:50:10 PM »
Mr. Johnny, those Rodeos look great! I wasn't sure what you meant in your post, but can you tell us how you got them to look like that? I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it looked like those. Thanks.

RafterP,
Go to the gunsmithing forumhall,  click on antiquing and follow Logshot Logans directions.  The one gun has had brownells browning added as well as blueing the other gun just has the bluing done.
If I can do it anyone can.
Real easy way to have gunslingers for a lot less.

Johnny Dingus
Spittin Lead and Packin Steel

Not Looking for a Fight but not Runnin Either

Shootin 45LC Ruger Vaqueros, 45LC USFA
Sass 70597  Yeah they count that far
Rat 285
USFA CSS 166

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »
It all depends on what you are shooting in it. If you are shooting the Holy Black, Hoppes 9, Break free, etc. is the absolutely wrong thing to clean them with. All the before mentioned are fine if you use the new fangled fad powders.  ;D

If you shoot BP, there are several commercially available BP solvents, or you can use the tried and true hot soapy water. With either, just dry them well and oil with Balistol or Kroil.

I own a pair of Pre-Wars USFA's and a pair of 3rd Gen Colts and none of then ever has or ever will see that smokeless stuff.  ;D ;D

-Ed
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Offline DerekR

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
It all depends on what you are shooting in it. If you are shooting the Holy Black, Hoppes 9, Break free, etc. is the absolutely wrong thing to clean them with. All the before mentioned are fine if you use the new fangled fad powders.  ;D

If you shoot BP, there are several commercially available BP solvents, or you can use the tried and true hot soapy water. With either, just dry them well and oil with Balistol or Kroil.

I own a pair of Pre-Wars USFA's and a pair of 3rd Gen Colts and none of then ever has or ever will see that smokeless stuff.  ;D ;D

-Ed

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I happen to have a can of Goex FFF around here.

Offline Appalachian Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Appalachian Ed------ NCOWS N-SSA/CSA - 2nd KY
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:02:12 AM »
I shoot a 45LC Winchester case and a Lyman 255 Gr. bullet. I lube with SPG. I load 32gr FFF Goex through a 30 inch drop tube. Federal Primers.

A pretty straight forward load.

-Ed
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lincoln is bound like ole John Brown for the long end of a rope.......
"We believed then that we were right and we believe now that we were right then."
- John H. Lewis, 9th Va. Infantry

Offline gunguy77

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Thanks Friends
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's help, thanks for all of the info !

Bobby

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com