Author Topic: Question about brass for the 45-75  (Read 16989 times)

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question about brass for the 45-75
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 11:02:17 AM »
Thank you Sir - I just got off the phone with them. They had a tapered plug setup using two dies, so I ordered them. Sounds like I may have this under control now. I may just sit on this brass after forming, but at least it will be ready to load and shoot.

Offline Hobie

• Top Active Citizen
    • Shooting with Hobie
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 10:56:27 AM »
You know, I misread your post, I guess.  I thought that you'd formed cases but were having problems getting the neck to fit the bullets.  Now I see that you were at a loss as to how to neck up from the get go.  Sorry about that.

I used a collection of neck expansion dies I had already.  First I full-length sized the .348 brass and trimmed it to just square the case mouth.  Then I expanded in stages.  .375, .410, .429 and .458 THEN I ran the cases into the .45-75 sizing die and THEN I trimmed enough to square the case mouth and then the .458" case mouth belling (Lyman M die could be subbed) and then loaded.  After first firing I trimmed to 1.90".  At first they shorten with use. I don't anneal the .348 brass not necessary with my lot(s).  I absolutely do anneal the Starline brass but only after the initial cut off. 
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 12:02:45 PM »
Thanks Hobie - I looked through your postings and website page info and found this info also. You are correct. I was not sure if the fireforming process would neck up the .348 cases, having no experience at this process. Now I think I can pursue forming with all the help from everyone here. 

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:49:51 AM »

Online DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 12:58:37 PM »
I've formed brass for 11mm Werndl (which has the same general shape as 45-75) from .348 Winchester.  I found that annealing the cases beforehand, then fireforming with light loads of pistol powder under a case of inert filler (I think I used worn-out tumbling corncob--I know, it probably wears the bore, but on the other hand, perhaps it helps lap out some of the pits, too!) worked well.  I compressed the filler over the powder and sealed with a lump of candle wax.  With really light loads, the case neck would be undersized and the case body would be wasp-waisted.  As the fireform charge was adjusted upward, the neck would be increasingly larger.  The last part of the case to form as the charge was increased was the middle portion.  With cases that "almost" form with a fireforming load, I sometimes go ahead and reload with a light bulleted load to fully form the partially-formed case. 

Without annealing the cases it just didn't work as well--it was harder to form the cases, and I had numerous losses due to splits in the neck and shoulder.  I haven't formed .45-75 cases yet, but plan to start the same way, although I'm tempted to work out a way to fireform using the sizing die so as to reduce wear and tear on the gun.  Also I haven't checked to see if I need to make adjustments to rim diameter and thickness.

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »
I started reforming with  .357, .400, and .457 expanders. It's going pretty well, but I notice a stubborn ring/wrinkle right where the .348 shoulder was. Will this shoot out and form better when fireforming? The case on the left was a stubborn one that possible wasn't lubed enough - never saw that happen before. The one on the right is trimmed to 2.0 for now, and looks like it will be fine. Slow but sure - lot's of projects going on.....still waiting for the sideplates to come back from engraving  :(

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »
Looking good!  Don't worry about that wrinkle as it will vanish when you fireform the case. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 04:13:00 PM »
As I have stated, earlier, I use 16 grains of Bullseye and then cornmeal to the top of the case topped off with a Beeswax cap.  After fire-forming, I clean and anneal.  Haven't lost one yet and now have 200+ rounds done that way.  For dies, I use a Lee F/L and neck-size only and a Lee expander die to seat the bullets with then seat and crimp with Lee dies.  No problems.  Alot less hassle too.  8)
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2008, 07:43:56 PM »
Thanks Grizzly Adams, and thanks for the load info Larryo_1. I spend the better part of half a day today trimming, deburring, polishing, and running them through the FL die once more. I think I ready to go for now. When those rings go away I'll feel a lot better. Here's what I got done so far......it's a start. More brass (50 AK) coming soon, and some already formed stuff from Gads, soon I hope. Sure keeps a feller busy doin' this stuff!  ;D

Offline concho

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2010, 11:34:28 AM »
Sir Charles deMouton-Black   Thank you for the expander information at C&H  I have a 50/95 and don't know jack about how to expand .348 brass for my Uberti 50/95  concho

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 12:41:24 PM »
One thing you should know is that the C&H expanders are not as well polished as they should be.  This means that they bind a bit more than they should during the expansion process.  I sanded mine with increasingly fine sand paper until they were very smooth.  After this they worked much better and I lost fewer cases to compression (where the case folds down on itself). 

Also, C&H offers a dry powder lube for expanding, its not much of a lube and it can make a hell of a mess.  I switched to RCBS liquid case lube and things went much better (though if you get to much on the case you will get dimples, which come out during fire forming).  I understand that there are spray on lubes that work well to. 

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
Imperial die wax works wonders.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com