Author Topic: "Cowboy" dies?  (Read 4555 times)

Offline Amargosa Al

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Cowboy" dies?
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:14:42 PM »
I'm wanting to get my first set of dies and I notice that RCBS has regular carbide pistol dies as well as "Cowboy" dies. They are advertised as being more useful for lead bullits. Marketing ploy or actually useful?

Thanks,

Amargosa Al
SASS # 75495
Mormon Posse # 117
Steptoe Valley Raiders

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "Cowboy" dies?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:55:58 AM »
Howdy

I believe the expander stem that expands the neck to accept the bullet may be .001 or so larger in diameter with the Cowboy dies than with RCBS's standard dies, to size the neck better for a lead bullet. I know one cowboy who swears by the Cowboy dies for 44-40, which can be a tricky round to reload. But if you are talking about a carbide die, you are not talking about 44-40.

For what it's worth, I've loaded 44-40 and 45 Colt successfully for years with plain vanilla RCBS dies and Hornady dies, never needed the cowboy dies.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Compass Will

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 06:02:07 PM »
I have a set for 32 Winchester Special.  While a jacketed 32 WS is .321, these dies allow me to seat .323 boolits with no problem.
Problem is the Marlin don't like .323, it will only feed .322 or smaller.  Shoots like greased lightning with .321 lead gas checked  ;D
SASS 79000

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:27:30 PM »

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 10:51:15 PM »
I have a couple sets of them and along with what Driftwood was saying, the expander is better for lead. I have dies in 38-55 that came with two expanders, the larger works well with the .381 boolits I shoot in mine and a smaller one for those that shoot winchesters. I also have a set in 45-70. Both work great. No problems. I have been known to pack powder with the expander on my 45-70. Did I say that? Well, compressed loads kind of go real well. I am talking Blackpowder of course.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:31:28 AM »
Howdy Mr. Doody,

Well, being a "Notorious BP Shooter" what else would you mean! :o ::)  But you sure are on the SAFE side by reminding us!  Good on YA!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:32:54 AM »
Ya know, when I first read this topic, I thought that it was going to be an Obituary! ::)
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:29:32 AM »
I use the "Cowboy" dies for my 38-55 as well, needed the larger expander to seat the .381 bullets my 1893 Marlin likes to shoot. I'm not using them for any of the other calibers I use for CAS and am not having any trouble with them. I'm using Hornady for my 45-70's with a LEE Factory Crimp die. The other brands I'm using are Dillon ...............Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »
Ya know, when I first read this topic, I thought that it was going to be an Obituary! ::)

;D ;D ;D

That is a good one.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:51:34 AM »
Been reloading now about 35 years.  Started off with 45 ACP and a carbide set of RCBS.  I've used Lee, Hornaday, Lyman, and Redding.  I seam to always go back to RCBS.  Love their lifetime, no questions ask policy.

I really can't tell much difference between the Cowboy dies from the regular dies in performance.  They do seam to load lead bullets a tad better.

But maybe its more psycological than anything else, I do like them when I load my Cowboy loads.  I have several sets, 45 colt, 38/357, 45/70 and 38-55.

how does one justify the extra cost for them?   Remember, its a hobby, and go with what you like the best.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com