Author Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football  (Read 1297056 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football
« Reply #1440 on: February 21, 2011, 10:21:56 PM »
The Wood Brothers won $24,550.00 out of a purse of $97,850.00 for that race with Tiny Lund in ’63. Average Speed was 151.556 mph.

Bayne brought home $1,462,563.00 for the Woods out of a purse of $18,693,533.00. Average Speed was 130.326 mph.

Dependin’ on whose inflation calculator ya decide ta trust, they won about $177,000.00 for the ’63 race. So it does change in monetary value then to now. What’s funny is speed don’t change o’er the years, cautions do. Lund ran the thing faster on average.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1441 on: February 21, 2011, 11:11:35 PM »
I liked the number 3 tribute on the third lap.  Hard to believe it's been 10 years.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #1442 on: February 22, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
Yep, Those 63 Fords dominated that race. Ned Jarrett would have probably won the race if had not ran out of fuel. Those old 427s got lousy mileage. That was my first taste of Nascar and I've been a fan ever since. The introduction of fuel injection in 2012 should be interesting. I had one of those 63s in HS as well as a 64 in college. My Dad was a Ford Mecanic, but he was a Flat head man. The Wood Bros. pioneered the way pitstops are done today. A lot of famous drivers have driven that famous #21. I hope this just the first step in a long road for Trevor in Nascar.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #1443 on: Today at 04:00:19 PM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1443 on: February 22, 2011, 03:34:38 PM »
I hope this just the first step in a long road for Trevor in Nascar.

Thinkin’ Bayne will end up in the 6 next year – sponsor permittin’. I’d have said Stenhouse had Roush not swiped Bayne from MWR then farmed him to the Woods for planned multiple cup runs for this year.

Unless Ragan picks it up a bunch I doubt he’ll be back with RFR next season. The boy had as good a run at it as anyone Sunday ‘n fouled up the restart.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1444 on: February 23, 2011, 03:38:55 AM »
He just got too antsy on that restart. I agree that he prolly won't be back with Roush.  Maybe he can catch on with a Nationwide team. I think that Eliot Sadler is reenergized his career, now that he is driving for Harvick. Harvick has signed Scott Speed to drive the #33 car in some Nationwide races.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1445 on: February 23, 2011, 07:27:46 AM »
Mental miscue. Happens. Thing is a driver in that position can’t afford ta have one.

Thinkin’ Sadler really wants ta race. He’s gotta much better situation with the lady wearin’ the firesuit in the Harvick family than he’s had inna long, long time. But, man, he’s takin’ a hit in money droppin’ down like that. Then again, his family owns most of Emporia so I reckon money ain’t a problem. ‘N how can ya not like a guy from Virginia what loves bologna burgers?  Hope the boy wins a few. A l’il trivia, prior to Sunday, who drove the 21 to its last win?

Me, personally – don’t have ta mean spit ta nobody else – have no use for Speed. He’s a clown. That said, TRB threw him inta F1 before he was prepared for it if ya listen to the folks what follow that sort of racin’. He failed. They ship ‘im to stock cars ‘n he was doin’ good in ARCA ‘n trucks. Then they fire ‘Dinger ‘n stick Speed in the cup car. He failed. That decision had to have been made in Austria. Jay Frye is way too smart a stock car mind to have pulled something that stupid. Folks’ll get it someday. In taday’s werld, ya ain’t gonna stick just any Hornish er Patrick in a stock car from the big go carts ‘n expect success. ‘Dingers ‘n Montoyas are hard ta come by. This ain’t what it was in the days of Andretti ‘n Foyt. He ‘n Sadler’ll be a real odd-couple with both at KHI. Sadler is a good ole boy. A plain ole hunter, fisherman what likes ta fire up the grill. Speed paints his toe nails blue. A l’il more trivia, who never won another NASCAR race after leavin’ the Wood Brothers in what was the prime of his career?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1446 on: February 23, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »
Eliott Sadler had the last Wood Bros win before Daytona at Bristol. I'll have to think about the other one.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1447 on: February 23, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
Buddy Baker?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1448 on: February 23, 2011, 06:31:18 PM »
Damn! Ya got me.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1449 on: February 24, 2011, 01:38:18 PM »
Arcey, Back when the Indy 500 was a real race, I could remember most of the winners since 1911. I don't think I could do it know. I have really enjoyed all the specials that Speed channel has had on  Dale Sr. I finally found one of the 1988 Black Aerocoupe #3 in 1/24th scale. The price had gone down enough that I could afford. That was the one of his famous cars that I did not have. It's hard to believe that it has been 10 years.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1450 on: February 24, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »
That was one wicked lookin’ stock car.

Got three wore out tee shirts ‘n one nice one I don’t wear much. Got 'em all before he left us.

A l’il plastic Goodwrench car (looks kinda like a Lumina) key fob Ali gave me for Christmas when she was little. I bought the S-Runner a week after the wreck. Put the fob on a long, black hunk ah leather lacin’. It was hangin’ on the rear view the day I traded for the 4Runner 1 June, ‘10. It doesn’t belong on that station wagon, it belongs on sumthin’ that’ll go. It’s sittin’ on my desk. Maybe I'll have somethin' black that'll go again someday.

Got a 3 car Zippo ain’t never been out the box. Andi gave me a matchin’ 8 the Christmas before the wreck. It ain’t never been out the box either.  Heh, heh… They’ll have a ball  e-bayin’ my Zippos when I croak. Gotta USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) Plank Owner’s Zippo ain’t never been out the box neither.

Took the VHS tape out the VCR after the announcement ‘n handed it to Susie (fat lady). Asked her to make it disappear. She did.

That ‘n my old ‘white three’ joke is all I got. Folks’ll wanna correct ya ‘n say the three was black. No. The three was white, the car the three was on was black. Did my heart so much good ta see Childress’ grand boy win in that white three truck.   

Speakin’ of Indianapolis, forgot to give the Woods credit for pittin’ Jim Clark. When was that, ’65?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1451 on: February 24, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
I believe it was, Arcey. Lotus's in BRG with Ford 289's, highly modified with the bundle of snakes exhaust. Kinda spelled the end of the front engine Offy's..........................Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1452 on: February 24, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »
The 65 Lotus entry was a 260, the next 2 years were 289s, and in 68, they went to the 4 cammer.  Arcey, I haven't cheked the diecast market lately, but I have one the 100 made  "No Parts" Silver MC. It was worth over 1000. The two Wrangler Pontiacs were worth 600. each. If I ever get rid of my diecast I will keep my Dale Sr. stuff.

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #1453 on: February 27, 2011, 03:31:10 PM »
If I did not know better ......  I would swear that this week was the Daytona 500 instead of the Subway 500km...   ???  ???

GO 88
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #1454 on: February 27, 2011, 06:11:56 PM »
So much for rookie luck, too. too bad Carl got taken out, he had it going on there for awhile ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1455 on: February 28, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
The new poits system forces the teams to make repairs on damaged cars to get them back in the race to earn as many points as possible.

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1456 on: March 06, 2011, 12:07:53 PM »
Get'n ready ta block up a pick-up truck load of burn'n logs for next weekends split'n before the Vegas race...   :P

Sure was happy to see the old guy win the Nationwide race yesterday despite the hand of FATE and starts 10th today....That' Race'n...   :o

Root'n for my guy Jr despite he really hasn't much luck at this track an start'n 33rd..... Maybe he just set up for "race trim" and will be a ball of fire..... maybe....   ??? ???  Cold Bud'd are wait'n on me for the race so gotta go myself.. ;D  ;D  ;D

GO 88

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1457 on: March 06, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
Congrats to Cuz'n Carl for the win..... ;)

Top 10's on the last two races and a great run at Daytona before the wreck for Jr is show'n a promising start for this season of Race Day's.....  His daddy said that top 10's and 5's win championships with a win now and then for good measure.. ;)  ;)  ;)

GO 88
Next race short track....  bloody nose race'n.... NICE!

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1458 on: March 19, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »
Nationwide at Bristol at High Noon locally....  I LOVE Short-Track Race'n.....This IS what Race'n IS!       ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

JR's run'n the 5 car today start'n near the rear.....COOL!.....that will be allot of bang'n & bump'n to the front....    :D ;) ;D

Going to the flat land to visit with Sis for it's her 50th B-day today.....  BBQ'n...Drink'n Bud's or Kerrrssss's... watch'n the race & celebrate'n a wonderful gal... ;)  Bought her a box of 38 SPL. +P  125 GR. JHP   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

GO 5

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1459 on: March 20, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »
JR's 3rd place finish in the Nationwide race was great for the momentum to continue into today........the race yesterday didn't seem too bang'n & bump'n like I'd expect...Let's see what the Sprint Cuppers do....   ???

JR is in mid pack again while the rest of RCR {0oppss dang it (thanks RC).. :-[ ..} Hendrick Motorsports is in the top 10 for the start.... :-\

GO 88

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com