Author Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football  (Read 1297121 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football
« Reply #1160 on: June 23, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
Honda is already in open wheel racing.  That Nissan 350 Z seems like a good choice for a Nascar body.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1161 on: June 23, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Rumor is there’s talk twix NASCAR ‘n Honda already. 
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1162 on: June 23, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
If Lexus is gonna be run, that'll be the team ta watch.  They is Toyos but it's like they got a German engineer ta point some stuff out.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #1163 on: Today at 07:51:58 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1163 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »
I figger that RCR and HMS will be the last Chevy teams to go.  Hendrick owned some Honda dealerships at one time.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1164 on: June 24, 2009, 08:16:03 AM »
Swipin’ more’n ‘is share ah Hondas for ‘is car lots is whut the thief got caught for. Far as I know ‘e still sells ‘em ‘n Toyotas too.

Gooberment Motors has already cut the money ta RCR. Why Childress is suin’. He’ll still run Chevrolets. Shell ‘n Jack Daniels ain’t lookin’ ta be back next year. He’s sayin’ if he can’t get sumthin’ ta replace ‘em he’s gonna drop ta two cars.

Won’t be a Lexus it’ll be a Camry. Ganassi will use the Lexus connection ta get TRD parts, pieces ‘n tech support. Ain’t no Germans or Japs in the mix. TRD is American. Americans know NASCAR. The others don’t.

Wanna see if the Petty/Kahne/Toyota thing flies.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1165 on: June 24, 2009, 11:25:25 AM »
Harvick ain't been doin' good as of late, his job is on the line as far I'm concerned, and I think he would like to be his own boss in Sprint cup. I figger that Burton is the only one whose ride is secure.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1166 on: June 24, 2009, 01:08:02 PM »
Now I's confused (not unusual) an am gonna ask a stupid question. 

I see several everyday Toyota trucks with the Toyota Racin Devopment logo on them straight from the showroom.  Does that mean that them trucks were designed by Americans an the japs built em?  I'm bein serious here, I never woulda dreamed they would take engineering cues from stupid lazy ol' us.

I aint tryin ta be a smart ass, I really wanna know.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1167 on: June 24, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
Leo, the trucks are built in the USA and the TRD is for their off-road racing programs.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #1168 on: June 24, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
The Toyota truck we got last year is a TRD,  it has that biggest V6, and a few extras on the engine,  it has a heavy duty suspension,  different wheels,  heavy off road shocks.  it has a 120 volt plug in in the back of the pickup,  the trailer towin package.  electric lockin differential,  4 wheel drive.  just all the little bells and whistles.

It will run like a stripped ape, for a V6
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1169 on: June 24, 2009, 03:42:04 PM »
Well see, ya learn somethin everyday.  As the guys in the stadium used ta say, "Ya can't tell who's who without a program".

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1170 on: June 24, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »
OT, It's a nice truck and it's a 4 door. Sometimes that 4WD comes in handy when  the weather gets bad.  There was plenty of leg room in the cab for my big butt.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1171 on: June 24, 2009, 03:53:36 PM »
My S-Runner was assembled in California. There aren't any decals on it. Anyone would think she's a base model until they look a l'il closer.

Engines, transmissions, stampin’s ‘, such are done overseas ‘n shipped here for assembly, The Tundra was a concept born here. Japan didn’t know anythin’ ‘bout full sized trucks. TRD is an original Japanese project for big go karts raced o’erseas. The branches of TRD we see here were born here. Off road ‘n NASCAR.  

The NASCAR motors bear no resemblance to anything Toyota sells. They’re cam-in-block push rod V8s with a carburetor. Some say they’re very close to the Dodge motors but improved. When Bill Davis signed on with Toyota it was alleged he provided Dodge engines to American Toyota engineers. Davis was runnin’ Dodges at the time. Dodge sued Davis o’er it ‘n won.

Can’t confirm it but Dodge may not be home grown either. It’s said they found castin’ equipment in South America. It was for Ford 302s. So much for the ‘HIMMY’. The heads were opened up ‘n valve size increased. In their stock form a Windsor 302 can’t breathe. Valves, intake ‘n exhaust runners are too small. That’s why Ford developed the BOSS 302 motor in a limited edition.

Chevrolet’s current is a British designed ‘n cast motor. They’re finished ‘n built here.

As it stands now, only Ford is racin’ a motor that’s actually based on a stock offerin’ ‘n that’s gonna change next season. Ford is askin’ for approval onna new motor. I believe Doug Yates designed it. Don’t know who is settin’ up ta cast the parts. Prolly go o’erseas. Cheaper ‘n the quality is high. They don’t have organized labor or restrictive gooberment laws ‘n taxes to put up with.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1172 on: June 24, 2009, 04:13:05 PM »
Thanks, I like ta know that kinda stuff.
Had a boss that ran a Tundra (it had the TRD) an he swore that thing could go anywhere cept fer on ice, an aint many vehicles that can.  Snow, mud er plain off road he was happy as a clam with that thing.  Nice ta know we had somethin ta do with it.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1173 on: June 24, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
The Ford Cleveland engine was originally designed for Marine use.  The engine was first introduced in 69. The engines were built and assembled at the Ford plant in Cleveland Ohio.  The Cleveland engine blocks are more sturdy and the heads have bigger valves and better valve angles to take in more air/fuel mixture and bigger exhaust valves to let more burned mixture out. Orignal Cleveland heads are pricey in the secondary market.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1174 on: June 24, 2009, 04:24:16 PM »
When I was a kid, word on the street was the Windsor was better than Cleavland.  That don't mean it was true, we were just kids.  Everybody wanted a BOSS.  289's an 302 were real popular then for the Ford guys I knew.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1175 on: June 24, 2009, 05:12:35 PM »
In 62, Ford built a small block V8 as an option for their new mid-size model, the Fairlane.  The engine started out as a 221 cu in, in 63, it grew to 260. When the Mustang came out late in 64, it was up a 289.  The 289 and the 302 are two different engines.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1176 on: June 24, 2009, 06:16:18 PM »
That ‘word’ was wrong, Leo. The Cleveland had more ass than the Windsor.

When Ford quit production of the Cleveland motor the Melling, aka the Elliotts, had agents as far as Australia lookin’ for blocks ‘n heads in junk yards. They offered to buy or pay Ford for fresh parts. Ford refused. The Elliott dominance ended. Bill quit ‘n drove for other folks. Divorced his fat wife, married a gold digger ‘n moved to Colorado.

Today, Ernie Elliott builds one ah the best Dodge motors goin’. Penske has the edge with the new ones. It would figure Ernie would build good motors. They’re the same Ford motors he’s been wrenchin’ fer twenty five years. Just has Dodge part numbers stamped on ‘em.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #1177 on: June 24, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »
In 62, Ford built a small block V8 as an option for their new mid-size model, the Fairlane.  The engine started out as a 221 cu in, in 63, it grew to 260. When the Mustang came out late in 64, it was up a 289.  The 289 and the 302 are two different engines.

This has been one hell of a good history lesson.

Pop, I didn't say the 289 an the 302 were the same engine, they were both just popular with the kids.  Now a 429 an a 460 are the same engine with differnt deck heights.

Anyhow, I love readin this stuff an learnin from the folks who know. 

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1178 on: June 25, 2009, 07:34:21 AM »
Leo, It sorta helps when your Dad is a Ford mechanic and a service manager for the local Ford dealer. He learned to work on Model Ts in the late 20s. He opened up a garage and wrecking yard when he returned from WW2. He helped me build my first engine as a teenager. He was a Ford man. I think that he liked the flatheads the best.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #1179 on: June 25, 2009, 12:56:13 PM »
Kindah funny when ya think on it.

My Daddy was a shop foreman for a truckin’ company. Oversaw everythin’ from maintenance ‘n repair ta full overhauls ta recappin’ tires. On weekends he took in work for himself. I was a kid helpin’ the greatest car artist on earth. My hero, my Dad. Oilers on Y blocks in that shack of a garage. Half the price the dealers charged. Never a return – done right the first time.

The ole boy loved Flatheads. Talk ‘bout ‘em for hours. What he ‘n Uncle Tommy used in the modified they owned tagether. Ya could see it in his face when we’d visit the Whitt’s ‘n Charlie’d be werkin’ on one o’er the pit. Charlie was a magician with a Flathead. Knew which plug wires ta pull ‘n the motor’d still run quiet ‘n smooth.

The funny part? We turned out werthless cops…….

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com