Author Topic: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football  (Read 1297040 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Beer Drinkin', Racin' 'n Football
« Reply #920 on: December 23, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
One reason I have no interest in college ball. Too many ‘Championships’. When ya do that, no one is anything except a qualified champion. Does leave the fans 'n sports writers somethin’ ta make never endin’ arguments ‘bout. Ta me that gets borin’ quick.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #921 on: December 23, 2008, 01:05:22 PM »
The politics of Pro ball can get on yer nerves too.  Sometimes gettin out and watchin a good varsity highschool game is more enjoyable than anything else. 

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #922 on: December 23, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »
Thinkin’ maybe if ya dig just a l’il bit ya might find there’s more’n just a touch ah politcs at the minor league, NFL farm level. But I ain’t gonna debate it. If I did I’d sound like a ‘My Old School’ squirrel.

Whalp, mah ole school (always starts that way), the Cat’s Whisker U Booby Cats, won the Litter Bowl. They’d ah beat the (insert name of school ‘n state here) if they’d had the guts ta ah played duh ‘Ats. The ‘Ats juz doan get on the TV ciz the school won’t bribe the networks……

Yeah. ‘N on any given Sunday the Lions kin beat the Titans in Tennessee……..
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #923 on: Today at 03:13:54 PM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #923 on: December 23, 2008, 02:02:08 PM »
I'd just rather see a kid play his heart out fer a scholarship rather than a zillion dollars.  My Dad was a HS coach fer years.  Got hired ta be linebacker coach at UC Davis.  Did it a couple seasons an said, "screw this, I'm goin back ta HS coachin an teachin"  Grew up hearin all the serious blah blah blah even on that level, it's unavoidable in sports these days, an that's sad.  Just remember him settin in the den after game night with a few key players with the lights out an the super 8 projector reviewing every single play.  The man is 70 years old now an still has 50 year old men callin er writin him now an agin an they still call him Coach. 

Leo

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #924 on: December 23, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »
I know that feeling.
I was 23 when I coached my first team, those boys were 14-15 in 1971.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #925 on: December 23, 2008, 02:42:12 PM »
Playin’ for a scholarship is compensation. The Vick brothers – one in jail, the other pumpin’ concrete on construction sites – were drivin’ expensive new SUVs ‘round Blacksburg. They’re ghetto kids. How’d they do that? The noble amateur athlete werkin’ ‘iz studies ‘n playin’ fer the love of the game. It’s like the pros. Fer every coach like yer Dad there’s an untold number more that care more about winnin’ then they do the kids. Beamer at VT is a prime example. Winnin’ is how he keeps ‘is job. Now that the Vicks aren’t an asset he couldn’t care less.

Me, I’d rather watch the money flow to the players who go with no pretense. Just fame ‘n fortune. It’s more honest ‘n straight up.

But let’s leave it alone. Watch what ya like under any concept ya wanna frame it ‘n enjoy.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #926 on: December 23, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
Ya wanna have a REAL good time, try officiatin’ a flag football league ah cops. Ya get players ‘n coaches yellin’ in yer face ‘n they’re friends ‘n co-werkers off the field.

Threw a coach out for unsportsmanlike conduct ‘n I didn’t think ‘e was ever gonna speak ta me again……

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #927 on: December 23, 2008, 03:34:55 PM »
HA!
     When I played PAL flag Dad got sucked inta helpin cause he had sperience.  I was a full back in the beginnin and made friends with one the half backs.  We were a team made up of all the guys who never played bafore an our official coach was a dentist who couldn't growl at us if ya held a gun ta his head.  (this is 4th grade)  The half back's dad jumped in on the sidelines too, and he was one of them serious football guys.
     One day, we was playin a game, in formation waitin fer the snap in T formation.  Me an the other kid hear a ruckus an next thing ya know there's both our fathers playin "push push" on the side line yellin at eachother.  Me an the other kid just shook our heads all embarresed.  We never did the "my dad woulda whooped yers" thing, we just went on with the game an tried ta fergit it. 
     Wanted ta call im a soccer mom but didn't dare ::)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #928 on: December 23, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »
Hehehehehe…….

Called a dude fer holdin’. He’d ripped another guy’s tee shirt doin’ it. Kinda obvious. His wife run onta the field raisin’ hell, as if we were gonna pick up the flag cuz ah 'er mouth. It was a hoot. Frickin’ grown men ‘n wimmen.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #929 on: December 23, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »
Can ya imagine that crap in a cowboy shootin match?  Way off topic but I got a laugh thinkin bout it.

"it were a miss"
     "it were clean"
     "it were a miss"

So on an so on til the wife jumps on the line yellin an screamin...

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #930 on: December 23, 2008, 05:50:05 PM »
Can ya imagine that crap in a cowboy shootin match?  Way off topic but I got a laugh thinkin bout it.

"it were a miss"
     "it were clean"
     "it were a miss"

So on an so on til the wife jumps on the line yellin an screamin...

Leo

Seen it.... it didn't last long....
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #931 on: December 23, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »
I wouldn't guess so.  Thas why we's here ;)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #932 on: December 24, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »
The Alumni or "Boosters" grease the wheels on this college football train. They pay the money to recruit the good players and keep them and their familes subsidized. They enjoy the bragging rights to their friends and coworkers to say their team is the best. Everybody does it on the big college level. These Alumni control the purse strings for contributions and the tenure of the coach. The coach has to keep the Alumni happy as well as the School.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #933 on: December 24, 2008, 01:18:02 PM »
That makes my point rather well. Thanks, Tex.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #934 on: December 24, 2008, 01:26:04 PM »
OU and UT are two good examples of that in my part pf the country.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #935 on: December 24, 2008, 03:17:11 PM »
That's why Dad left UC Davis and went back ta HS coachin.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #936 on: December 24, 2008, 04:52:47 PM »
Leo, I had planned on a coaching job after college. I wound up in the Army and did not get into teaching or coaching. After the Army, I had got the coaching out of my system and decided on Law Enforcement. Sometimes I wish I had done the coaching thing, but things have worked out for me.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #937 on: December 24, 2008, 09:55:45 PM »
He got his teachin credentials when he got out of the Corps.  We moved every year or two for my entire childhood chasin better offers from different schools.  He became a phamecutical rep in the early 80's and has that to thank for his retirement.  You prolly made the right choice in joining the force.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #938 on: December 25, 2008, 06:28:02 AM »
The Moose is the teacher in our family, she's been at it since 72. She really enjoys it and doesn't plan on retiring anytime soon. She's always made more money than I have, Cops wages aren't that good, but I've always had a job.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #939 on: January 04, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »
Interesting news from the Racing World   ;D

Jeff Gordon fires his entire pit crew!!

This announcement followed Jeff Gordon's decision to take advantage of the Obama Plan for NASCAR to employ inner city youngsters.

The decision to hire them was brought about by a recent documentary on Court TV on how gang bangers from Harlem, Chicago & Los Angeles were able to remove a set of wheels in less than 6 seconds without proper equipment, whereas Gordon's existing crew could only do it in 8 seconds with millions of dollars worth of high tech equipment. It was thought to be an excellent and bold move by Gordon's management team as most races are won or lost in the pits. However, Gordon got more than he bargained for!

At the crew's first practice session, not only was the inexperienced crew able to change all 4 wheels in under 6 seconds, but within 12 seconds they had re-sprayed, re-numbered, and sold the car to Dale Jr. for 10 cases of Bud, a bag of weed, and some photos of Jeff Gordon's wife in the shower.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com