Author Topic: Cabela's Uberti 1866 Winchester  (Read 12070 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cabela's Uberti 1866 Winchester
« on: February 02, 2008, 07:41:19 AM »
Howdy Pards,
I understand that this topic gets beat to death!! I did a search hear and over the net without any luck. But I figured if any one or any place to ask a question and get a answer it would be hear.
 I know that most if not all Imported CAS guns are made by Uberti, (please correct me if I am wrong, I would like to know the in's and out's) Hear a while back I bought a 1866 in 45LC, I bought it at Cabela's, it says Uberti and Cabela's. It is my understanding that most of the Importers have there firearms built to there spec's!
  Okay Pards, Does anyone know if Cabela's has there own spec's for there guns, or do they buy what they can buy and have there name put on them! You can tell that the Cabela's markings was done at the time it was made. I just would like to know if they have there own spec's or use someone else!
  And how do they compare to the other Importers!

I own a new pair of Taylor Early72's open Tops, and the workmanship is awesome, I also own a pair of 1873 (I think Hombes) One is Stoeger, the other Uberti (cannot tell them apart) , I looked at a 1851 R&m Converson made by EMC (I think) mand it looked like JUNK!!

I will appreciate the info!

Happy Shooting
I hope evry shot you make Hits the BULLSEYE  ;D

Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cabela's Uberti 1866 Winchester
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:18:37 PM »
They are built to the same specifications, enjoy your 66 but get a aftermarker loading gate, your probably going to need one down the line, I'm at work but do a search for Brass Action Gunshop in Fremont, Nebraska, he makes the aftermarket loading gates that most importers sell, and you can get it from him for about half of what the importers sell it for...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:46:04 PM »
Whymore,
Thanks for the heads up, i will get a hold of him and get one coming. Do you think that the Cabela's is made as good as the Taylors? I sure like my 72's!
Thanks Ace
 I found his phone no. but no web page or email. So i quess i will have to call him, hate to call and bother  someone trying to get something done.
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:57:51 AM »

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
The folks at Brass Action are great folks to deal with, stand behind their product 100 percent, the gent is a retired Hollywood stunt man and he can do all the fancy gun twirling too...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »
Whymore.
 Thamnks Pard! I had heard about the loading gates not being very well made. And I figured I would pick up one, and keep in on hand. I should do like that gun! I hope to some day own me a 73 Winchester. But it take a lot of money to do this hobby, unless you can find good deals.
 I still want some brown stove pipe boots, can't get a used bibbed shirt bought, allways seems to be some on Sass wire, but I guess because I don't belong to the Sass I can't get any bought! I have asked on about 20 or so that have been posted, and only 1 guy has ever got back to me, and his was to small.
 Happy Shooting Pard
Thank you
Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 03:51:30 PM »
A Uberti is a Uberti.  They are all built to the same specs and level of QC.  Some importers have a lock on particular finishes or features, but the guts is all the same.  ALL of the 66 loading gates regardless of who made them need a reinforcing tab soldered behind the bent tab on the gate.  Otherwise that little bent tab will bend some more or break off.  Ain't a question of if, it's only a question of when.

Offline Marshall Sam Holland

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »
I have a Uberti '66 in 45 also..I was at a match and my loading gate broke...jammed up the rifle, it was through for the day.. I pard there told me, that when I replace it, to put a dab of JB Weld behind it ( where the part sticks out to stop the shell). So I odered one from Brownells,  I built it as with JB Weld as directed. I ground it a little with a dremel tool. The next match it was a little rough for the first two stages..then it smoothed up.. The JB Weld is suppose the strenghten it some..been going strong for over a year now..

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »
i thank you pards for all the replies, i had been told that there was a problem with the loading gates. This gun I bought was not new, i bought it at cabela's, there is not a scrath, ding, nothing. Doesn't look like it had ever been shoot. Has Uberti fixed this problem, or are they still having problems with this. Is there anyway to tell if the gate has been changed without taking the gun apart, i am going to get a breakdown schematic, just havn't got there yet.

Anything else I should know?
Thanks Pards
Ace
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »
I hope to some day own me a 73 Winchester. But it take a lot of money to do this hobby, unless you can find good deals.

you mentioned that you bought your '66 from Cabela's. Get a Cabela's VISA and buy your guns with the points. In another few month's I should have enough points saved to pay for my next CAS gun which will be an Uberti '73 Winchester.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 12:26:21 AM »
Whymore,
Thanks for the heads up, i will get a hold of him and get one coming. Do you think that the Cabela's is made as good as the Taylors? I sure like my 72's!
Thanks Ace
 I found his phone no. but no web page or email. So i quess i will have to call him, hate to call and bother  someone trying to get something done.
Some will disagree with me but for the most part they are all the same....some will have nicer wood but that is luck of the draw IMHO. Cabela's,Taylor's,Cimarron etc. Taylor's seem to give the best service and support. I always look for the best price because these guns aren't cheap to buy.....Cabela's always has good prices....they don't have many CAS guns to chose from which is too bad.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »
Cabelas had a bunch of 1860 Henrys, 1866s and 1873 Winchesters once upon a time and also Sharps rifles.  I think they sold rather slowly over the years and Cabelas decided to get out of the CAS business to some degree.  We aren't necessarily as big a market as some might think.  I go to the Sidney and Kearney Nebraska stores on a fairly regular basis and I have paid attention to what they had in stock.  They must sell a bunch of c&b pistols because they always have them in stock and they also seem to expand the choices.  I get their annual shooting catalog every year.

I have an 1866 and it has the newer loading gate.  I have a spare for it and I have yet to replace it.  It probably has a couple of thousand rounds through it.  I figure I've been lucky. It may also be awhile since I've replaced the '66 with my 1860 Henry as my main match rifle.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Cincinnati Slim

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:27:24 AM »
Howdy Folks,

Just went to Mark's Guns in Florence Ky and traded in a Taurus Thunderbolt plus cash for a nice Uberti 1866 Carbine in .45 Colt.

This one had some really pretty wood on it; nice tiger stripe on both butt and fore stock and the red stain wasn't too muddy ! :)

She's a real good shooter to. Great trigger pull, smooth action and easy to load. Likes my BP handloads just fine.

I'm gonna miss the Thunderbolt however. Unlike some folks, Mine worked great and shot really well. I couldn't afford to keep both of 'em however. The weak Dollar/high Euro is making these Uberti prices shy-high. Selling price for this sweet little yellow boy was $ 939.00 !!! ::) Couldn't have done it without a decent trade-in offer on the T-bolt...

Cheers,

Cincinnati Slim

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »
I just gave my wife an 1866 Yellow Boy today for her birthday in .45 Colt....she loved it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com