Author Topic: Which Italian Clone did you buy and why?  (Read 17917 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Which Italian Clone did you buy and why?
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
I ended up buying several Cimarrons since I don't like to shoot my USFAs too much.  I got 2 Model Ps that were US Finish and 2 that were regular finish.  The US Finish guns are a bit smoother, but after I worked on the two other regular Model Ps, they are now just as butter smooth.  All of them shoot very well, infact, they all out shoot all of my Colts by a wide margin.  Which Italian clones did you settle on and why?  What has been your experience with them, good and/or bad?  Did you need to work on them to work  the way you wanted or were they fine out of the box? How did they shoot?  Compared to other more expensive guns, how do they stack up in performance and looks?

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Which Italian Clone did you buy and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 10:00:56 AM »

I, too have a pair of Cimarron Model Ps that outshoot and outperform my 2nd Gen. Colts. I used the Cimmys for Main Match guns for many years and never had a problem with either of them. They were generally pretty good out-of-the-box, but I did do a basic smooth-up on the internals and lightened the mainsprings a hair. They always gave faithful service and never failed. Looks and accuracy were outstanding IMHO.

Since then, my interests etc have changed somewhat and I have become a top-break fan.
I now have a pair of Beretta Laramies (a S&W New Mod. No. 3 copy actually made by Uberti) and I believe them to be the best-balanced, most accurate "cowboy" revolvers I have. They fit my hand perfectly and hit where I point them. The god-awful hammer block safety was malfunctioning in both, but once removed, the pistols handle perfectly with little or no additional work having been needed at all.

I have had ASM, Pietta and etc. pistols as well, but I personally never owned one that could compare to the quality of the Uberti Cimarrons or the Laramies. Just MHO.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »
Another reason why I favor the Cimarron over the regular Uberti is there are no hammer safety cuts in the hammers.  The Cimarron hammers are just like the originals with no safety on them other than the half cock notch...which really isn't a safety at all IMHO.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:48:06 AM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 12:05:56 PM »
Just plain ole Uberti Cattlemen. When I order one I order a Wolff spring kit at the same time.

Once it arrives I scrape the STP they dip ‘em in off ‘n change the main spring out. Keep the rest for spares. While I have it apart I go over the parts ‘n smooth out anything that looks rough. Doubt I’ve ever spent more’n two hours on either of ‘em. They’ve proven themselves to be more accurate than I’m able to shoot them on the clock.

I’m not criticizing anyone’s choice but what’s stamped on it or other historical points of accuracy isn’t important to me. I just want to play cowboy. They’re only hobby equipment. I invest in stocks and bonds. Resale isn’t important. When I pass on they’ll sell ‘em for a song. My son-in-law will grab my Glocks like a pit bull even though he has Glocks of his own. The Glocks are important. I bet my rear end in the real world on those daily.

Reliability hasn’t been a problem. The last failure I had was in July ’05. Bolt spring in the one I shoot most often. It’s used frequently. The spring was replaced at the tailgate of the truck between stages. That revolver goes with me Saturday. There’s no way I can figure how many thousands of rounds have been through it. Ain’t decided which one to take as a second yet. The hammer safety on either of them has never been an issue.

Again, that’s my approach to it. I’m sure that doesn’t fit everyones’ desires. Mine are all beaten up from years of CAS battles ‘n there’s holster wear. Gives ‘em character.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 12:25:04 PM »
Another reason why I favor the Cimarron over the regular Uberti is there are no hammer safety cuts in the hammers.

The Cimarron revolvers are EXACTLY the same as all other Ubertis except for markings, unless something has changed recently with the hammers. I know of no importer receiving Uberti SAA clones with the hammer safety such as on the Open Tops & RM conversions. What they do for importation points is a two stepped cylinder pin which can be tossed and replaced with a correct cylinder pin.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:49:39 PM »
The one cut replacement base pins are available at several places for less than $15.00.

I’ve chucked one in a drill then shortened it with a Dremel. Carolina lathe. Didn’t take much time or effort.

Two of mine still use the two cut pins. If you watch what you’re doin’ on reassembly they’re not a problem.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 10:50:25 PM »
Well I can hardly wait to tell y'all, but it hasn't arrived yet!   :P  But after enough due diligence to deflect any buyer's remorse, I ordered a Cimarron Model P, 7.5", old model.  Standard finish.  All for style points for the as-authentic-as-they-can-make-it that Cimarron provides plus affordability.

I will tell you that I expect to open a box and find a well made and reliable gun.  I will let you know of course.

Sittin' by the phone...

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 274
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 08:18:44 AM »
Howdy BP,

I think you will be pretty happy with your choice. I have a pair of Cimmaron's just like you have ordered with the black powder frame and 7-1/2" barrel. They worked pretty decent right out of the box. I eventually had them tuned up a bit and refinished the grips.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 08:30:53 AM »
Nice looking guns Johnny!!  Looks like you got some good quality wood on your grips also.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline sharps50/70

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 08:44:41 AM »
EMF Hartford (Uberti) in 32/20, 4 3/4" barrel.  At a base price of $350 shipped, the revolver is hard to beat.  Very accurate out of the box and the front sight is made high so you can file it down to adjust point of inpact.

Rich

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 01:02:29 PM »
JM -

Great pic, but oh so cruel!  Will soon be posting a similar pic, alone and with its cousin, my 60 Army.

Nobody callin'...  Is my phone plugged in...?

BP

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »
Will y'all join me in a Yippie-yi-yo-ki-yay.  Looky what arrived today.  When initial order didn't ship as expected, much to my surprise the supplier expressed it the day we reconciled the misunderstanding.  That's a welcome surprise and they didn't have to do that.  No instruction manual though.  Easy to fix that.  But who reads manuals...    ;)  And the FFL was great too and only charged me $10.  Pinch me, I'm not livin' that good, believe me.

OK, enough suspense.  Drum roll...

Brand new, Cimarron Model P, Old Model, .45, 7.5", standard finish. 

Second pic is with its cousin, a Pietta 60 Army with inspector's markings.

Enjoy these.  I know I will.  Time to give some thanks.

BP

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
That's a fine lookin' pistola, there BP.
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 12:51:24 PM »
Thank you, ID.  And thanks to everybody here that helped me gather the info I needed to make a decision on what to get.

Now how do I get rid of this stiff neck - apparently my pillow isn't soft enough to sleep on it.   ;D

BP

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1263
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 08:11:10 PM »
FCK,
What Virginia Gentleman was referring to with the hammers is true.  Many of the non-Cimarron Uberti peacemaker clones (Cattleman, for example) have what is commonly called a hammer-block safety.  It is not the same as the foldout safety block on OT's and conversions.  It has a a block below the hammer and a slot in the back of the hammer and an extra screw on top.  There is a plunger that goes down the center of the hammer to one of the notches.  Cimarrons used to have these hammers as well but not for the past 5 years or so.

There are a few other differences.  Uberti is changing their case coloring procedure on the most recent Model P's (darker colors) and Pre-War models now have a medallion in the grip.  The Cimarrons also have American threads.  That used to be an exclusive; can't say whether or not the other Ubertis have converted to American threads or not.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30:50 PM »
That's great info, Abilene. 

And while I'm thinking about how much time I've saved reading yours (and so many others) opinions, recommendations and insights, let me say this to Abilene and the rest of you: I don't take for granted just how long it would take for me to know the differences in Cimarron's threads, etc., and I have had my brand new Cimarron for all of 24 hours +/-.  Reinventing the wheel is awful, in business, relationships, hobbies, whatever.  To be the recipient of so much knowledge from you in essentially the snap of a finger, knowledge that is the culmination of untold years of experience from so many people, is truly remarkable. 

Here's to you, folks.  I am truly grateful.  Don't be gettin a swelled head or nothin', but what you have to say is really of more benefit to people like me than perhaps you realize, or maybe you've come to take it for granted. 

So if you haven't heard so recently - thank you all.

BP

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 10:28:23 PM »
Thanks Abilene, I didn't know that. As you well know, Uberti uses 8-36 NF threads on the Type II ejector. However, have they changed the threads on their SAA clone barrels as well? Colt used for the 1st & 2nd Gen. 20 TPI & 24 TPI for the 3rd Gen.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1263
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 12:27:26 PM »
Howdy Kid,
Sorry, I do not know what threads the barrels use.  I have heard that generic Uberti and Cimarron SAA barrels do not interchange, but I cannot verify this.  I'll bet VTI would know.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 01:57:12 PM »
Howdy Gents

Years ago I shot nothing but Colts, Then I bought an Intercontinental Dakota, 45 long colt with a 4 5/8" barrel, with case harden frame, and one piece walnut grips , after shooting this gun , I sold my Colts , the Dakota at that time was hard to beat , and that was 1966, I loved my colts I just was having too many problems with them , later on When I got interested cowboy action shooting , I thought I would get me a couple new six shooters, I spent about 10 months looking , and trying to find some of the guns I want to try , I couldn't find a New Ruger Vaquero any where , and then I ran into a Pietta Great Western l l Custom at a gun shop about 40 miles away from where I lived, I tried the action , and I thought to myself , ( this gun has been worked on ) I asked the owner about it, and he said, they come this way right out of the box, and they were about as close to a Colt as your going to get, it had 4 nice crisp clicks , when cocked, it felt just like my old second generation Colts, the action couldn't have been any smoother, and the gun was beautiful to look at, so I went home , and I couldn't get this gun out of my mine, so I called E.M.F. and talked to Gary Owens, about there guns , and he invited me to come down and take a look, so I did , and it was love at first site, he taged the gun I picked out , and they sent it to Walker 47 , where I made the purchase, I did this twice , to get the guns I wanted, Walker 47 treated me just like family , the Great Western l l Customs I bought are stainless steel polished to a high gloss, 7 1/2 " barrels in 45 long Colt, with one piece ULTRA IVORY grips , and BOY HOWDY do these guns shoot, both guns shoot to point of aim, these Guns are just nice to look at , and it makes me feel better knowing everything is just as nice on the inside of these guns , I Think Pietta is doing a top notch job on these Great Western l l Customs... :D

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »
Blackpowder:  One question, did they include a traditional slotted screwhead base pin screw that is more traditional than the knurled finger tightened type in the photo?  If not, VTI has them if you want to have the option of swapping it out when you really need it to look 100% 19th century authentic.  The knurled type is very convienent to disassemble the gun with out tools though and has a practical purpose in the field at a match.  Again, great buy and a nice pair of cowboy era pistols. ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com