Author Topic: Questions!  (Read 4458 times)

Offline Whiskey Johnson

• Whiskey Johnson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Questions!
« on: January 24, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »
Great forum, I have been "lurking" for awhile! I have  questions that need "brutally honest" answers!  ;) I am new to CAS, just a spectator so far. NCOWS looks like a great time! Here goes!

1) If a guy showed up with period correct firearms for working cowboy, but was wearing modern cowboy boots (I.E. vibram soles, round toes) would he be accepted/ allowed to participate for a month or two?

2) I would hope that a "work in progress" as myself would be given some time to meet all of the rules. I would expect NOT to be scored, etc., but I guess I am judging the level of patience here. I am not trying to cause trouble, but do not have the disposable income to go all out right out of the gate.

CAS is expensive, and even though NCOWS seems like where I want to end up, It will take awhile!

If I need to get my "kit" together first, that is O.K., just let me know upfront. I dont want to start off being the bad guy!  ;D
NCOWS #3016, SASS #75800, Mi. Nat'l Guard, VFW Life, NRA Life, DIRTY RATS #415

Offline Yuma Kid

• NCOWS Editor (The Shootist Magazine)
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John "Yuma Kid" Irons
  • SASS #: 31302
  • NCOWS #: L129
  • GAF #: 767
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
Re: Questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 09:48:07 PM »
Whiskey,
You don't say what part of the country you are from.  But most of the NCOWS posses I've been to, are very welcoming to newcomers.  If you have the guns you are 75% there.  Try to dress as old time western as you can.  Round toed boots, take the belt loops and the left rear pocket off of a pair of jeans.  A long sleeve denim shirt and old style hat of felt or straw and you'll be ready to go to your first shoot.  And if you pay your money, you get scored along with the rest.  Most posses will help you with ideas on how to improve your look.  As long as you try to improve as you go, you'll do just fine.  Our posse, the Blue River Regulators' usually allows 6 month to a year (depending on how often you shoot with us) for you come up to full standards for dress.   If you shoot every month then you should improve more quickly.  If you only shoot occasionally, it will take longer.
Hope to see ya down the trail!
Yuma
Keep Yer Powder Dry!

NCOWS #L129,  G.A.F. # 767, SASS #31302, NRA Life Endowment, Lancaster County Bounty Collection Agentcy #29

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 09:52:51 PM »
Whiskey, Like that name. I think I am correct. Lot more knowledgalbe people than me. But believe NCOWS gives you a year to get your outfit together. Lot of clubs have green horn shoots during the year. What ever CAS outfit is ok. A good time to go shoot, visit, get an ideal how everyone is dressed and so forth. Would love to have you with the NCOWS family. TJ
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:03:51 AM »

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 09:53:31 PM »
Whiskey:

First of all, let me thank you for your interest in NCOWS. We realize we're not going to appeal to everyone, but the main qualification for NCOWS is in the mind and philosophy (and the heart and soul) of the member -- much more than guns and gear, believe it or not and contrary to what you may have heard. I think you'll find that the right attitude and the desire to do things properly will go a long way in our outfit. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Secondly, let me congratulate you for taking the smart approach and asking the questions before you jump in. That's the way to do it, and it's the least expensive, too. It's always better (and cheaper) to get the right stuff in the first place than it is to buy inappropriate gear and then have to replace it all after you find out it's not right.

Now, to your questions:
1) If a guy showed up with period correct firearms for working cowboy, but was wearing modern cowboy boots (I.E. vibram soles, round toes) would he be accepted/ allowed to participate for a month or two?
I'd say absolutely. There are very few of us in NCOWS who joined (or showed up on Day 1) with all the right stuff. It is an on-going process, a "work in progress" as you say. I believe any club would welcome you (even if your boots did have rubber soles  ;D) if you came in with the desire to improve your appearance over time and showed that you were indeed working on it. Most clubs allow new members up to a year to get their outfits and etc up to par. So, no problem there.

I would hope that a "work in progress" as myself would be given some time to meet all of the rules. I would expect NOT to be scored, etc., but I guess I am judging the level of patience here. I am not trying to cause trouble, but do not have the disposable income to go all out right out of the gate.
Again, I see no problem here at all, pard. As I said above I doubt many of us were "all out" on the first day and actually, that's probably a good thing. NCOWS pards are a helpful and knowledgeable bunch and the assistance you'll get from our members will probably save you a bundle in the long run. As far as scoring... if you've got the right guns, I can't imagine anyone of our clubs woudn't "score" you right along with everybody else. Competition is important in NCOWS, but not as important as in some outfits. We love to shoot, but we also love the history, the friendship, the sharing of knowledge and the constant learning that is so rewarding to all of us.  Don't worry on that account.

CAS is expensive, and even though NCOWS seems like where I want to end up, It will take awhile!
Yep, sure is. But don't let that slow you down. Keep in mind that our Working Cowboy class only requires 1 revolver and a rifle, so you can get started with the shooting aspect with only 2 guns as opposed to 4 or more. That'll help save you some serious bucks and WC is quickly becoming our most popular class.

If I need to get my "kit" together first, that is O.K., just let me know upfront. I dont want to start off being the bad guy.
Why wait? Once you sign up, you'll start getting our magazine "The Shootist" with lots of good info on all kinds of NCOWS-related topics. As I have said, if you have the right attitude and philosophy, you'll fit right in and be more than welcome at our fire -- and someone whose heart and head are in the right place wouldn't be a "bad guy" in our outfit.

Hope this answers your questions, Whiskey, and never hesitate to ask more if you need to.

--Irish Dave
--NCOWS Marshal

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:17 AM »
As a relatively new member of NCOWS, I can state that Irish Dave speaks the truth.   You will have no worries coming to a match dressed as you stated in your posting.  In fact we would welcome you with a hardy handshake and a cup of cowboy coffee.  If you live around central Indiana we now have 2 NCOWS clubs shooting.   PM me if you want some specifics on when and where we shoot.  Regards.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 08:31:23 AM »
W. J.,
Welcome to the forum!
Judging by your profile info you might be just around the bend from James Hunt and his Pards and they'll certainly get you going in the right direction. 
Best regards and good shooting!
'Ol Gabe
NCOWS #925

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 09:29:15 AM »
  W J ;   Sounds like you are on your way to being one of the few, the proud, the period correct.( LG's quote). You have receieved great answers to your questions, I did just want to add that your boots may be OK, with round toes, Rubber soles, (OK) as long as they don't have stitching on the toe, are perfectly acceptable.    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 11:03:19 AM »
Whiskey Johnson: Indeed we may be but a few hours apart.I live outside of the small town of Chelsea - about 15 minutes west of Ann Arbor. I am in the phone book or feel free to email or PM me via this board. I can help you get started with clothing purchases with recommendations for various sutlers who offer really great PC stuff, or with suggestions for making your own stuff. As said above find yourself a pullover shirt, a pair of 501 jeans that you ripped the belt loops off of, a hat of just about any sort - the more beat up the better - and a pair of rd or sq toe boots (you could get stated with an undecorated pair of ropers if need be) and you are good to show up.

By the way if you have horses I am also into CMS and our posse and home range is up towards St. Johns, maybe close to you, and we are always looking for members.

There is no Michigan NCOWS posse. Another NCOWS friend and I have adopted the Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co. (Indiana) and try to show up there once a year and shoot. We don't pay dues or do a lick of work, but we do show up and drink their coffee. A great group of fella's there. I wished they'd all move further north to Michigan. We are trying to plan a trip down there before summer, so stay in touch if you want to ride with us. That and the NCOWS nationals is pretty much my shooting experience because CMS takes up a fair amount of my summer weekends. Oh and the convention, coming up soon.

What to get in a way depends on how deep you want to get into historical authenticity, personally I am in the NCOWS recovery group for those who demonstrated addictive behavior regarding historical authenticity, the problem I have is there are way to many enablers in NCOWS and further another NCOWS member mentioned above and living a bit east of me who I hang out with is in even deeper than I and refuses to admit he has a problem. ;D

I think that NCOWS is right for the person who wants to combine a little history with the western action shooting bit. The nice thing about the organization is that it allows various levels of authenticity - pick what you are comfortable with and stay with it if you want. The organization accommodates those who want the casual experience all the way to the hard core stitch counters - and surprise, they all get along with a general sense of commeradarie and help. A nicer group of folk you will not see.

No one will complain as you are getting started, attitude and moving in the direction of authenticity are what are appreciated. Feel free to contact me.

Regards, Jim
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »
As Deadeye Don said, we'd welcome you with a handshake and a cup o' cowboy coffee.

Now, on that last score, please feel free to bring along a piece of period correct linen or cheesecloth to strain the coffee (Lord knows, I do  ;D) since I don't mind it strong, but prefer not to chew it.
 ;)

Also, if you're in James Hunt's territory, he and Monterey Jack Brass will be a nearby wealth of knowledge and assistance for you. Two better pards than these I can't imagine for helping a fella "up the trail ... and proud to."
Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
Whiskey Johnson, Howdy and Welcome!

I can't add anything except friendship and good wishes.

Some of our leading NCOWS citizens have answered some "Questions!" here.  Irish Dave is the Marshal of NCOWS as well as a fellow member of the Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.  Here's our website:  http://home.insightbb.com/~greatlakesfmc/index.htm  Deadeye Don is also a member there AND all 3 of us (and many more) are also members of Indiana's newest club, the Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society.  http://smvsposse.home.insightbb.com/index.htm  Trap is the NCOWS Judge, Ol' Gabe is one of our Long Range gurus, and James is ... well .... James.  ;)  And a great pard - who has forgotten  more about Olde West authenticity than most folks ever learn!  Yuma City Kid is the NCOWS Secretary and was a great roommate at the 2007 Convention!  That only leaves TJ Stephens.  Texas Jack is probably the greatest Grandfather in NCOWS!  :D  (There's a post about USFA guns that explains what I mean.  ;D )(Actually, there are a LOT of great Grandfathers in NCOWS - I try to be one, for instance.  ::) )

Any-hoo, we all wish you the best and feel free to ask anyone about anything.  I'll even try to throw in some irrelevant "humour" (of questionable value) on most any subject.

What are yer feelings about Black Powder? .....  ;D

Ride Easy,

Jeff  "Steel Horse Bailey"
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Whiskey Johnson

• Whiskey Johnson
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 10:13:58 PM »
Wow!

Thanks for all of the great advice, and answers. I joined NCOWS tonight, and look forward to having some of that chewy coffee 'round the fire with ya'all!  ;) In doing some more research, and with the posts here it will not be nearly as difficult as I first thought to be "pretty dang close" to historically accurate in attire. My wonderful wife is already on the lookout for textiles! This is almost as fun as sending lead downrange! The History part of this is just "icing on the cake" for me.

I have many pair of round toe plain boots, wear levi 501's that could easily lose the belt loops and Left Rear Pockets, add a couple "period" shirts and a "boss of the plains" hat to replace my favorite Barmah hat and I am ready to START!  ;D

I am from Mid-Mi. about 1.5 hrs. from the In. border. I will be in touch with the Indiana pards down there, and the Mi. Pard's . Never know, maybe we can get something started in Mi. next year. I have 3 neighbors and deer camp buds (one with all ORIGINAL period rifles) that are all interested.

Unfortunately I do not have horses (James Hunt) but WILL pry as much info as possible from ya offline, and hopefully we can share a ride to events sometime. I plan on shooting BP! Last month I went to a SASS shoot in Rockford, "the old smokie challenge" and that sold me on BP. That was a great event.

NCOWS #3016, SASS #75800, Mi. Nat'l Guard, VFW Life, NRA Life, DIRTY RATS #415

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 02:23:40 AM »
Howdy W. J.,

Great to have you as a new member!!  Messrs's Hunt and Brass up there in Michigan will be a great source of info and inspiration!  They are good pards and won't steer you wrong. 

Same goes for the Indiana fellers!  I have learned a lot from members of both groups. 

It is also good to see another Army alum join up.  Ordnance officer, 1966 - 68 active duty and 1968 -73 reserves. 

We would love to have you come to the NCOWS Convention next month here in Kansas City, KS.  Feb 15, 16 & 17.  Lots of clothing vendors so you could get what you need.  Lots of things for the ladies too if your wife is interested.  We will have several seminars and the ladies will have a tea Sat. afternoon.  The banquet Sat. night will include a Victorian Ball.  Don't need to know much about dancing as instructions will be given before each dance starts. :o ;D

Don't hesitate to ask more questions.  We will endeavor to answer them for you.
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 08:23:29 AM »
   Congratulations Whisky, Hope to meet you at the National shoot if not before. Don't believe you'll regret your choice.  jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 08:58:09 AM »

Dr. Bob -

He's not just Army ... he's Cav!  That's near & dear to MY heart, as well!

Jeff  "Steel Horse Bailey"
1/11th ACR - 1983-1990
1/4 th ACR - 1990-1991

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com