Author Topic: Could this have been the first Tactical rifle  (Read 13840 times)

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Could this have been the first Tactical rifle
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 01:15:57 PM »
Yes, I think so. Like RCJ said, Johnny Yuma had a cut down double barrel shotgun. Steve McQueen had a cut down Winchester in
Wanted Dead or Alive.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 09:12:18 AM »
AHA!  Steve was in "Wanted Dead or Alive!"    NOW I remember.

"Branded"  was another show - and THAT may be the one I remember where they broke his saber and ripped off his rank.  I don't remember anything else about the show, 'tho.  It came on the same time as I had to go to bed.
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 04:13:49 PM »
SHB,
Chuck Connors starred as Jason McCord in Branded. In a way it seems like a long time ago and in another like yesterday. Tis H--- to get old. ::)
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:39:07 AM »

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 06:06:25 PM »
Ain't THAT the truth!  :D
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 11:24:22 PM »
Getting old is NOT for the faint of heart.  However, it sure beats pushing up daisies! ::) ;D  Like tonight dancing with the pretty young ladies. :o ;) ;D  [Yep, I'm a bragging!, You betcha!! ;D]
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Max Doolin

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 12:39:49 AM »
Just found this thread and because I shoot a Trapper model for CAS I thought I'd chimp in also didn't see anyone else
usin one I guess I might be the only one. The Trapper is marketed by Cimmaron and it does hold 10 rnds not even a primer more...LoL !!
Mine is in 44/40 and has only been fed the holy black. I like it cause I can move through our stages with lots of
doorways and barracades without much trouble, faster movement to next target also. I do get some heckling from jealous folks
because I'm 6'3" and this rifle aint much longer than my arm...LoL !!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 01:36:40 AM »
Cool, Max!

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 10:00:03 PM »
Almost started a new thread.  Now I won't get smacked for not reading before posting.   :-[

Steve McQueen's sawed off '92 was called a Mare's Laig or Mare's Leg.

A dream gun.  Don't care if it's practical, inauthentic, pure Hollywood.  Among the must-haves of my ever growing wish list, a Steve McQueen Mare's Leg/Laig has been near the top.  Close tie with an Alfonzo Dillon holster.  I've found a couple places and just fell over Armi Sport that offers one.  Now really, what's not to like? http://armisport.com/eng/dettaglioA.asp?idSottoFamiglia=65.  Believe Armi Sport makes the 92 that Cimarron carries, so I suspect this is a fine specimen.

SHB, I wonder if this is the one you saw: http://www.wildwestmerchandise.com/new-mares.htm.  And for the money's-no-object crowd: http://www.bountyhunterspecial.com/.  Turn the sound down...

Has anybody else seen one, know where to get one, know whether they're illegal in a bunch of states, etc.?  I've not found anybody that has the Armi Sort on their web sites, so I'm guessing that it must be a no-no.  Anybody play a lawyer on TV and care to give their opinion as to whether this really is legal as a curio or relic?

Anybody have any experience with it or Mare's Laigs in general?

I've been in such serious research & planning mode, I needed to take a break and let the inner child take over.

Thank you.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Offline Wills Point Pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 12:24:49 AM »
 Up until that gun control act in the 1930s that regulated full auto, short barrels and silencers there were literally no laws about rifle length. Winchester offered barrels in the '73 and '92 from twelve inches to, I believe, thirty inches. I once knew how they handled existing short barreled rifles but that information has faded. Since I had none of those rifles I didn't care. I do believe that origional owners of such short barreled rifles were grandfathered in and only subsequent owners were taxed. Be that as it may, when I was young some of the old timers had such short barreled rifles for a defense gun in stores and banks.

The short barrels were fairly popular, then as now many people were much better with a carbine than a handgun.  Very few civilians fooled around with the then legal BARs and Thompson Submachine guns. Clyde Barrow liked the BAR but he stole his from National Guard Armories. So, naturally the Feds passed a law about civilians. Idiots.

Those current Mare's Laig guns are very expensive. The guy making them cannot import them because of GCA '68s import restrictions. I'm not even sure he can import the actions 'though that's another bit of arcane legality that I'm not interested enough to check on. I do know that in my whole career I never once saw a short barreled rifle used in a crime. I'm sure some were, somewhere, but never in my county.

Oh, and Dick D? I didn't have to worry much about our Texas Judges letting the bad guys go. I'm glad I retired before they started doing idiocy like locking up Border Patrol Agents for shooting a dope smuggler in the ass.

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 08:29:54 AM »
Howdy WPP,

I'd not cut down one of my Browning 92s, but they would make a fearsome weapon.  A foot long barrel on a more controllable (two hands on) 44 Magnum would make a very accurate and powerful self protection device.  I can't see any reason for a law again' 'em tho.  I kin kill deer (even legal ones ;D)  in Wisconsin with a pistol and those short rifles wouldn't be any more concealable.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 08:37:29 AM »
BP - Howdy!

I can't add much, other than the fellow I talked to claimed to be the originator of the "idea" to reproduce these about 7-8 years ago. (When I first heard of them.)  There were NO companies making them; it was all custom-built on a straight-from-scratch new unused receiver.

I just got a catalog this weekend (at the 2008 NCOWS Nationals) that was given out at the NRA Convention.  It's from Chiappa firearms and if I remember right (I can't find it in the pile of stuff I unloaded after the shoot  ;) ) they offer one of these toys.

With the proper paperwork, there are no current legalities to worry about - except in those known state and/or local areas.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 11:37:21 AM »
Back at ya, SHB -

Chiappa is the same as Armi Sport.  Don't remember if one is the parent, subsidiary, whatever.  But you'll see both of them at the same web site.  Sure would like to see Cimarron add it to their web site, seein' how their '92 is an Armi Sport.  As if I have $$$ burnin' a whole in my pocket; I'm still in need of my first lever gun, SxS and hat!

WPP/DD - them laws make me feel safe, just knowing they're there.  ;)

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com