Author Topic: Taylor's & Co. Smoke Wagon  (Read 14909 times)

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taylor's & Co. Smoke Wagon
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:36:16 AM »
Just checking in to see if anyone has aquired a Smoke Wagon pistol from Taylor's & Co. and if so how do you like it? Last I heard they were close to production.
The pistol really appeals to me because of the thinner, checkered one piece grips. Not to mention that Taylor's puts out darn good firearms. I'm checking in with them for info and will post what I hear. Just wanted to know if anyone has one yet.

Pit Mule

fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Taylor's & Co. Smoke Wagon
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »
I know that quite a few pards over on the SASS wire have got them already and speak highly of them especially the ones slicked up by Cody.   I still have one in 44-40 on order.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Missouri Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
    • Missouri Marshal's Cowboy Action Shooting Homestead
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 03:51:49 PM »
My wonderful wife got me a consecutive serial numbered pair of .38spl Deluxe Smoke Wagons for Christmas.  Ya got ta love a woman that buys ya guns. ;D    Tuned by Cody, they are great right out of the box.  First pistols that I ever got that I didn't work on before I used them in a match.  I shoot FCD and all I do is wipe off the cylinder face every couple of stages.  They will never replace my New Ruger Vaquero’s but they are sure nice pistols.
NRA Life, SASS Regulator, TG Pungo Posse, TG Mattaponi Sundowners, DTP, RATS #132
CLICK HERE FOR MY CAS CITY PROFILE
AND CHECK OUT THE LOADING BLOCKS IN THE CLASSIFIEDS

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:37:00 PM »

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:55:03 PM »
Pit Mule, it sounds like your getting like me on changing pistols every year or so ;D ;D ;D
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Offline Tricky Trina

• Top Active Citizen
  • First Lady of the Fire and Brimstone Posse
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:57:42 PM »
Yep - they's pretty dang slick!  I had to play with them upstairs before I wrapped them up.  Cody did an awesome job and they is purty too!

Yep - I shure do love that man of mine :-*
...and she rides into the SMOKEY sunset on her favorite, half-fast horse, Totally Clueless    Thanks Arcey, Tensleep, Wildcat Will and Querida Kate!!!

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »
Yep MM - you and me are purty lucky.

Guns for Christmas or Anniversary - priceless!!

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 07:14:34 PM »
Miz Annie has a consecutive numberd pair in 38spl, the Cody work is a thing to behold.

Great pistols.

Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 10:23:31 PM »
So the Smoke Wagons come already slicked up by Cody or is that separate? Good to hear positve feedback on them. Have not heard back on how long the line is to get them, hope to hear soon. Sounds like a good buy, shoot good and purty to. Gotta tell ya, put me on the list of lucky guys whose wife bought him a pistol for our anniversary. Don't ya just love 'em!!!!!!. Course, I did buy her a pair of consecutive serial numbered Great Western ll's just because. We got it made folks. Thanks for the input, keep it a coming if you hear anything.

Hey Wymore, hope to see you and the Mrs.'s at the NTR gathering Saturday. Barring a snow event we'll be there. Been shooting the same two pistols for a few years now. Good shooters but it's time for something new. Maybe I should just buy your hand me downs, there in great shape and they only miss about one target a year.
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 10:41:29 PM »
Tensleep,
I see by the banner that your a dealer for Beanies bullet's. Just got me a shipment of Beanies bullets the other day. Real nice quality bullet, can't wait to shoot 'em. Good pricing, great on shipping and nice to deal with to.

Pit Mule
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 07:19:27 AM »
So the Smoke Wagons come already slicked up by Cody or is that separate? Good to hear positve feedback on them. Have not heard back on how long the line is to get them, hope to hear soon. Sounds like a good buy, shoot good and purty to. Gotta tell ya, put me on the list of lucky guys whose wife bought him a pistol for our anniversary. Don't ya just love 'em!!!!!!. Course, I did buy her a pair of consecutive serial numbered Great Western ll's just because. We got it made folks. Thanks for the input, keep it a coming if you hear anything.

Hey Wymore, hope to see you and the Mrs.'s at the NTR gathering Saturday. Barring a snow event we'll be there. Been shooting the same two pistols for a few years now. Good shooters but it's time for something new. Maybe I should just buy your hand me downs, there in great shape and they only miss about one target a year.

There are two prices on the Smoke Wagons at Taylors.  One is for the gun as shipped out from Uberti and the more expensive price is for the Deluxe  slicked up by Cody.  From what I hear, the Cody model is worth the extra money.  That is the one I have on order.

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 07:38:08 AM »
Tensleep,
I see by the banner that your a dealer for Beanies bullet's. Just got me a shipment of Beanies bullets the other day. Real nice quality bullet, can't wait to shoot 'em. Good pricing, great on shipping and nice to deal with to.

Pit Mule

Beanie is a good feller and I'm proud to be a dealer for him.  ;D
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 05:46:53 PM »
Got my 38sp deluxe 5 1/2'' Smoke Wagons a couple of weeks ago. Put a couple of boxes of Beanies 125gr through them before finally shooting them in a match saturday. All I can say is SWEET!!, they will do their part if I do mine. I bought a pair of Cimarron Lightings last year that I just could not get to run, found out one had a broken hand. I sent them off to Cody and three weeks later I'd swear they weren't the same pistolas. I know they're not Rugers or USFAs, but with a little fine tuning todays Ubertls give alota bang for the buck.

Jefro,  Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline louisc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 01:11:25 PM »
I MIGHT NEED TO LOOK FOR A NEW FFL. HE WANTS $610 PLUS TAX FOR THE CODY DELUX

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 01:40:32 PM »
On the Taylor website it is advertised at $575.00.   When my FFL called for pricing they quoted him 645.00 so I am thinking Taylors hasnt got around to changing their price.  When I questioned my FFL and told him the price as stated online he sold it to me for a bit less than the 575 including shipping.  I would call Taylors yourself and ask what the MSRP is.  Something isnt adding up here.

Offline louisc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 02:52:14 PM »
thanks for the info deadeye i might do the same for my ffl while im in front of him and ask him to call .i know they have to make money but,i'll bring a copy of the site page and ask him to price it. Seems like you have to buy the best you think you can afford and just do everything else your self to at least be honest to know when you make a mistake and just fix it not worry about ship times or quality just do all and you might not be so mad,i cant beleive all of you guys have been doing this stuff forever and not let the missleading lead you away from the sport are you the only honorable pards left?

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »
Well,  I think any time you are buying something it helps to have facts in front of you to know if you are being taken or given a fair deal.  Fortunately, most distributors of products post prices (MSRP, not wholesale) on their websites so at least we have a starting point in dealing with our FFLs.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 07:44:01 PM »
Had my FFL dealer check with Taylor's a couple of days ago on pricing and shipping for a pair of deluxe Smoke Wagons. 628.00 a piece shipped. That's 1256.00 for a pair. Ouch! I'm darned sure these are great top of the line pistols. I would'nt expect nothing less from them. I'm not a real tight wad (the inventory of my gun safe can prove that) but the price is a little over the top for me.

Solution:
Great Western ll's and I'll tell you why. When your wife is shooting I learned one thing. Her equipment has to be equal to or better than yours. It must function correctly 99% of the time. If it flubs up under the course of fire "you get the LOOK" because you bought them and you maintain them. The 'LOOK' is a very bad thing! Thats why I put her into a pair of .45 Great Westerns with faux ivory grips. They have been near flawless in two years, low maintenance and are a range ready pistol out of the box. And a little cheaper too. I have one I shoot all the time and have no problems at all with it. Dang, I'd hate to have to give myself the 'LOOK'. So I think I'll move to a new pair of Great Western ll's with checkered grips and that great Doug Turnbull blueing.

Pit Mule 
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 08:27:51 PM »
The problem is the difference of the dollar as opposed to the Euro. The Euro just went up again and that's why the difference.............Buck 8) ::) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 09:14:21 PM »
Howdy Pit Mule  :D

The Great Western l l's are fine sixguns , the price is right, and the quality is far above what they ask for them , their beautiful, rugged, accurate, and they just plane feel good in the hand , you get those four crisp and clean clicks , when cocking the gun,  there just like the old second generation Colts I used to have, but I have to say I like these better . (IMHO)  ;D 8) I would still of liked to kept the old Colts , but thats the way it goes sometimes , as long as I have these Great Western l l's it doesn't matter as much , if I had the Colts I wouldn't be shooting them anyway.

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 06:54:12 AM »
Pit Mule's biggest problem is that his lovely bride knows how to use her 45's and a shovel, which he doesn't want her to do in combination on him... ;D  Good luck shooting those irons, may be you should let me train'em...
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com