Author Topic: Sidewalk Ramblings, December 2004  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
Sidewalk Ramblings, December 2004
« on: December 16, 2004, 11:13:01 AM »
Sidewalk Ramblings, December 2004

The year 2004 is about to go into history and it has been a special year for me in so many ways. As many of you know, it has been one comprised of changes, mostly to the fact that my address changed from Norway to Kansas. A major transition like this takes time and I will still be in this process for some time ahead.

Earlier this year, I wasn't sure how much resources I could set aside promoting the sport through Cas City and otherwise, but looking back, I was able to reach some of my goals. All in all, the platform for further promotion of organizations, clubs, shooters and products looks pretty good for next year. Cas City is still a growing town and is now one of many Internet sites spreading the word around and to provide a service where shooters can interact in communication. Even the old cas-list is still alive with the good help of deputy Beauregard Hooligan. Also, a big thank you to all of you that find Cas City a place to stay in touch with our fellow shooting partners and of course, the deputies (moderators) who check in on the forum boards to make sure everyone has a good time.

The future of our sport

What has amazed me after spending this past time here in the US, is that a lot of people I have talked to have not yet heard about our sport!? Many of them are even hunters and gun owners. From my time promoting in Norway, I experienced a higher percentage of people having learned about cowboy shooting through friends, newspapers, magazines and TV then here in the US.

I think our sport has come to a point where future growth is about reaching a new and broader public and to get back to some of the important basics. Today, we are mainly promoting among ourselves and when something new and exiting shows up, it very often has a price tag to it that very few can afford. Big matches have become high dollar events and I hear more than ever before that “we can't afford to go this year”. I hope this is not a sign of our sport turning into some kind of a country club with shooters having their gun carts drawn by caddies or a multilevel sport where the participation is more and more depended on the household income.

The main reason I joined this sport was in fact that every level of society could join in. When the shooter left his vehicle costumed up, it didn't matter where you came from. CEOs and an employee at a feed store were equals at the shooting range. I am worried that this is about to change.

I am really looking forward to the premiere of Cowboys, a new show on the Outdoor Channel hosted by the well known Richard Young (Tequila) and produced by Michael Bane (Shooting Gallery). Their plans is in fact to reach out further than the perish of cowboy shooters, even internationally. The production team also took time last year to visit a European match. I have had many conversation with Tequila this past few months and it has been a pleasure to learn that he shares the same philosophy I have. We are a huge family no matter the name of the organization and good promotion benefits us all. With Tequila teaming up with another good promoter of the shooting sport, Michael Bane, it will have a good impact no matter the brand we ride for.

Europe
One of the highlights this year was the 1st European CAS Championship in the Czech Republic. I was not able to attend, but several of my fellow members of the Scandinavian Western Shooters got a chance to compete internationally. To see the sport grow in Europe is a dream come through. A big thank you to Hogo Fogo from the Czech Republic, Santa Claus from Germany and all the other movers and shakers that share my dream and make plans become a reality. I know first hand how much hard work there is to establish and run local and national organizations. The risk of burning out is big and to please all is sometimes a task too tough to handle. Especially in Europe with a labyrinth of gun laws and regulations, it is a huge challenge to join forces and to establish a society of fellow European cowboy shooters. It also requires knowledge how to deal with authorities on local and state level.

Most American shooters and gun owners have no clue how complicated and strict it is over there. I had a meeting with a Kansas ATF inspector recently and we shared some knowledge on the differences between regulations in Norway and the US. Her jaw dropped several times during the conversation, even though my old country still has very liberal gun laws compared to many other European countries.

Many European shooters ask me how SASS and other umbrella organizations can help. Well, I don't have any good answer. My experience is that US based organizations don't have the knowledge, resources or the priorities to deal with it. My advise as of today is to consider a European organization and invite SASS, NCOWS or WASA to join in, if they find it interesting, BUT on European terms. My experience with SASS and Europe is that SASS have a long way to go before they can offer a good service that benefits both parties. Yes, Scandinavian Western Shooters (SWS) and other national organization would not have not been established without the existence of SASS, but the job had to be done entirely by the founders in Europe. Europeans, as of today, you are on your own, but don't let that stop you from establishing the sport and make it grow. In the meantime, I will do my best with others to move and shake from this end both towards our US pards and to make hard to find products more available on the other side of the Atlantic.

Don't forget.....the local clubs make all the difference.
2004 has been another year with debates over rules and regulations, gamers vs the rest of the outfit, etc. Sometimes we get the impression that this is an obstacle to be able to have fun and participate. Folks, this sport is not mainly about the umbrella organizations or who is the fastest, it is about your local club and how you all decide to run it. The main bloodstream of our sport is all the volunteers and club officers out there making sure all members have a shooting range to go to and local matches to compete in. All these volunteers are the unknown heroes and true winners of cowboy & western action shooting. They are the main reason we have come as far as we have.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sidewalk Ramblings, December 2004
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 06:10:12 PM »
Again Marshal thank you for all you have done for our sport here and abroad.  I am proud to call you my friend.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 11:45:55 PM »
Sir, you are a class act.
It is a pleasure to serve under your leadership.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:02:17 AM »

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 10:46:50 AM »

Morning, Marshal. I'm with Will Ketchum and Big Hext, I think you're doing un très bon travail (one helluva great job) with CAS City.

I think our sport has come to a point where future growth is about reaching a new and broader public and to get back to some of the important basics. Today, we are mainly promoting among ourselves and when something new and exciting shows up, it very often has a price tag to it that very few can afford. Big matches have become high dollar events and I hear more than ever before that “we can't afford to go this year”. I hope this is not a sign of our sport turning into some kind of a country club with shooters having their gun carts drawn by caddies or a multilevel sport where the participation is more and more dependent on the household income.

The main reason I joined this sport was the fact that every level of society could join in. When the shooter left his vehicle costumed up, it didn't matter where you came from. CEOs and an employee at a feed store were equals at the shooting range. I am worried that this is about to change.

I must sadly agree. It seems to me that SASS especially is going the way of golf (good reference there), where participating will require great outlays of cash for top-of-the-line equipment, "professional" training, and lots of spare time for practice. The "duffer" working to support a family and a mortgage will be squeezed out by the big money and the sport/hobby will become an almost-exclusive pastime of the wealthy. Come to think of it, the parallels are rife, with both groups tending toward silly clothing and making rules to maximize comfort. Electric carts are not far away, I think.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline West Longer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 11:01:09 AM »
Hopefully theres enough of us poor cowboys around that wont allow this to happen. On a local level anyway.
Happy Trails & Shoots
West Longer

SASS 46427  LASSOOS #77
Bold 339       BOSS #143
Warthog
NRA
SUDDS #52
RATS #205
P.W.D.F.R. #114

Offline Sheriff A.E. Moses

• Very Active Citizen
    • Millbrook Wranglers
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 10:00:04 AM »
All I can say is that we are the lucky ones, to have someone of your caliber join us in this wonderul sport. CAS-City was the first BBS on line for Cowboy chatting, and it is still my premier site!

Welcome to the United States of America

Welcome to the State of Kansas

Welcome to SASS, American style!!
Sheriff A.E. Moses
First Duly Elected Sheriff
Graham County Kansas
~:~1880 - 1881~:~
Cowboy Action Shooter
~:~1999 - 2011~:~
=-=B.O.L.D. - 14=-=
http://www.millbrook.ruraltel.net

Offline FloraBama Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Florida Bordertown
    • Panhandle Cowboys
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 05:39:26 PM »
I too sincerely appreciate CAS City and have enjoyed visiting here. Although I haven't been around much in the past few months, I consider CAS City my favorite CAS web site.

On the future of CAS; I see too much of a trend promoting the large regional shoots as well as EOT and all of that. The money is BIG and folks are getting rich. I may live in a small world but NONE of the Cowboys I shoot with have no desire to compete for the so called titles. I would like to see this "sport" remain in the hands of the average pard who just wants to have some fun and live in the 1880's a day or 2 each month.

The current OLN CAS program is okay but I think it only depicts a small community of the sport. And that's my .02 cents worth.

Marshal keep up the excellent work and you remain at the top of the Best Cowboy Shooters in my book!!
~~~SASS# 54776~~~ BOLD# 568~~~

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 05:34:02 PM »
 :)  What Will Ketchum said and DOUBLE.  :)
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Speed Junky
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 11:17:45 PM »
Marshall Halloway,
Thanks for your BBS.  I've been doing this for a long time, and while I haven't competed actively for awhile, (job requirements sometimes take a certain precedence) I know that I can always jump right back in.  I've kept informed thru your site and have read with interest the opinions and views of a lot of new and old shooters.  Sometimes we all tend forget that this is a GAME.  The other guy has his rights to his opinion, and may just have a point or two.  Thanks for allowing us to share in the exchange.
It may not be such a shame to see the sport turn into a shooting form of golf.  For while there are some big name/money pro golfers out there, there are many (and I mean MANY) more that just enjoy the sport and will always be weekend duffers.  Each of us will commit to a level of involvement and expense in pursuit of our hobby.  Let none put another down just cause they're willing to commit at a different level than we are!
The only person I ever compete against is myself.  I've known and enjoyed participating with many of the winningest shooters in the early days of this sport, and while they like to win, first and foremost, they are competitors.  The gamers and schemers are just that, they quickly fade away as the sport shows up their real colors pretty fast.
If CAS ever gets a pro category, it may enhance the sport.  Besides, they'll probably quit coming to my local weekend match and showin' me up so often!
Griff
SASS/CMSA#93
Griff
SASS/CMSA #93 Endowment
LSFSC Life
NRA Patron

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 10:52:58 PM »
Thanks, Marshal. I'm kind of a short timer here, but have really enjoyed this site so far. I agree that it's getting more expensive nationally. However, guess I've got to pouint out that as some of these matches get bigger, it takes more cash to put them on. The logistics have to be huge! However, I do agree that the sport exisists because of the grass roots clubs and volunteers. without them the nationals wouldn't be there. again, thanks for your work and maybe we'll meet down the trail...........Buck 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com