Author Topic: Some friendly (hopefully?) advice . . .  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Butch Barkley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Some friendly (hopefully?) advice . . .
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:31:18 AM »
Perhaps this has already been asked... I'm just getting started and have a couple of equipment questions for CAS. First I purchased a Puma lever action in 45LC, next I bought a Heritage Arms Big Bore SA also in 45 LC. I've read good reviews on the Heritage SA, but not much out there on the Puma. And I can't really afford to exchange it at this point . . . Obviously I need another revolver...will probably do another Heritage, although I really liked the feel of the Uberti. I plan to stay with 45LC, although 357 is a choice to practice with cheaper 38's . . .

Any suggestions for the next revolver purchase? Any ideas about whether to match the Heritage or go with the Uberti? I tried both at the gun shop and got the Heritage since it was on sale at the time. Both felt really good when I looked at them. Also, does anyone have any suggestions about where to look for leather? There are so many choices out there . . . styles are similar, prices are relatively similar. I would like to practice and move on to fast draw at some point. Should I get something like a fast draw holster now? Or just stay with the cheapies to get started?

Yes, I know, I'm full of questions. I have some ideas which way I'm going to go; I'm just looking for advice to see if I'm looking in the right direction.

Thank you in advance!

Butch Barkley

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Some friendly (hopefully?) advice . . .
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 09:41:39 AM »
'All' of these questions have been addressed in different forums - some in great detail.

Take a look through them - 'especially' looking past the top page - and you'll find all manner of reviews of everything - plus vendor recommendations, and sometimes photos.

My best advice - buy the best quality you can afford, no matter what you're thinking of buying.

You can often do well by trading at your local gun shows, since C&WAS isn't for everyone, and used cowboy stuff is often viewed as a drag on the market when the dealer has a lot of 'black' guns on his tables.

Go to shoots in your area - often, folks will let you try their guns and even their leather, and you can get a much better idea (and a cheaper one) by doing so, as C&WAS folks are a friendly lot.

Before you spend another dime on anything beyond practice ammunition - start researching.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com