Author Topic: Took The Plunge  (Read 2486 times)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Took The Plunge
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »
And bought a replica Spencer in .45LC.  That's the Good News.  The Bad News is that I'm a "gimp" for the next 8 weeks or so (tore my left biceps tendon while picking up a hay bale; off the riding list and on "light duty" after surgical repair five weeks ago  :( ).  So I won't be able to "try it out" for little while.

Please add me to your list!  :)

SQQ
S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

Harve Curry

Re: Took The Plunge
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:47:02 PM »
Welcome to Spencers, S.Quentin Quale, Esq.
They are alot of fun to shoot and 45 Colt is plentiful. I know I sure enjoy my 56-50, but it is not so plentiful.
regards,
Harve Curry

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 12:03:57 AM »
This is kind of funny. Not that I'm laughing, and I'm sure you aren't, either, but the same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when I bought my first Spencer carbine. Picked it up that morning and played with it over lunch, then that afternoon, unloading a treadmill from the back of the truck -- pop. Only difference was, mine was at the elbow on my right arm. That was sure a long couple of months. Hang in there. The Spencer is my favorite long gun now, and you're going to enjoy yours, too, when you can start shooting it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:45:19 PM »

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »
SQQ
Where did you get a 45LC Spencer?  I was told that they were not in the country yet.  And does it have the Lane extractor?
Major
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 08:55:32 AM »
Six weeks into the healing process things are going pretty well.  I've got a fair range of motion, but try not to pick up more than a pound or two.  It's tough when you're a south paw and the left arm is the gimpy one.  ;)

If there's any good news it's that I started shooting and using the saber with my right hand about a year ago.  The military courses are petty much set up for right handed people and most of us "sinister" folk are modestly ambidexterous.  So when I get the clearance to go back riding I'll not have to put much stress on the arm to get back to shooting.

I did manage to exercise the rifle action while sitting down and bracing the barrel.  It's pretty smooth and easy to work.  I don't know if it has a Lane extractor or not.  I'll read the manual later today and see.

I bought it from Frontier Firearms in Kingston, TN.  These are pretty good folks to deal with.  I paid $1033.00 for it.  They were fair with me on a trade for a replica Win. 73 Sporting Rifle.

Took some pictures of it, but haven't figured out how to post them here.  Don't have a website at this time.

Frontier had the .45LC, a .45 S&W, and a .56-50.  Frankly, the fit and finish of the .45LC was the least impressive of the group.  It's surely not ugly or marked up, but it's just not as nice as the other two.  But this will be a "using" piece so I don't worry about that too much.

I'll soon be looking for carry options on the horse.  I'm not thrilled with the carbine strap over the shoulder and carbine thimble method.  I'd rather use a boot.  I've found a number of boots for Sharps and Springfields, but not one for a Spencer, yet.  I guess I'll just have to "search hard" until I find one.  :)

Of all the medicines out there, Tincture of Time is the hardest to take.  :'(

SQQ

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »
Hi SQQ,