Author Topic: "Antiquing" Brass or Creating Patina for "Indian" Weapon  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Anontex2

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Antiquing" Brass or Creating Patina for "Indian" Weapon
« on: November 03, 2007, 08:45:14 PM »
I have an 1866 that I have been trying to "distress" or "antique" a bit. Have been working with ammonia as recommended by numerous postings on the net, but could not get it right...splotches, cloth used left pattern, etc.  Today I tried something new and...bingo!  I poured about a cup of ammonia in an oblong shaped crockpot,  laid the brass receiver (still on rifle) across the opening at top and then fabricated a hoop frame of wire coat hangers within the crockpot and arching over the receiver.  I then used Glad ClingWrap to construct a "tent" over the hoop frame, with the bottom edges of the wrap readily clinging to the hot sides of the crockpot.  I then turned the crockpot to "high" and as soon as the ammonia solution heated up, the patina developed right in front of my (watering) eyes.

I am lightly sanding the super high gloss on the wood to take down the "plastic" look.  Also using 1500 paper to take the blueing off the edges of the octagonal barrel and at the bore where wear would normally occur.  Have distressed, with fine sandpaper and vinegar, the various screwheads and trigger.  I am thinking about going with an Indian rifle look...some brass nails on the buttstock and maybe simulating a stock repair at the grip with sinew and leather.  I was at the Museum of the American Indian in DC earlier this year and had the opportunity to observe some incredible Native American weapons.  Chief Joseph, Geronimo, Sitting Bull...all were represented with genuine personal weapons.  My takeaway?  These proud warriors made do with some of the roughest weapons--condition wise--that I have ever seen.  Foreget the BS about the enterprising white man selling brand new Winchesters to these guys.  It may have happened, but I saw nothing to suggest it.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: "Antiquing" Brass or Creating Patina for "Indian" Weapon
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 10:33:10 PM »
Often, the guns associated with Indians - especially those surrendered or proferred - were the worst of the lot, with the best were being stored away - 'just in case'...

The nature of their service would've exposed them - even the good ones - to the elements, and that would take its toll.

If you want to artifically age your brass-framed piece - just shoot black powder and clean less frequently.

The sulferous nature of that propellant will take care of the rest.

The original wood was varnished, oil-stained walnut - not high-gloss modern coating material, so if you remove all of 'that' - you can just oil-stain the wood and normal handling will be more realistic.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 08:44:43 PM »
BP has "patina-ed" my brass on my '66.  (Is "patina-ed" really a verb?  ;) )

I did use some Zip Strip and got rid of the glossy red (but done fairly nicely) Italian finish.  I used some medium walnut MinWax and linseed oil (numerous coats) and some really nice wood came out from hiding under the original Uberti finish!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:24:26 PM »

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:58:08 AM »

My Henry's receiver after 4 years of shooting black powder.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:36:27 PM »
Why, Sim - it ain't any better than when I saw it 2 years ago!  But mine looks likes yours, now!  (Well - as much as a '66 CAN look like a Henry.  Color-wise)  ;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
There is no substitute for EXPERIENCE!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 06:39:31 AM »
There is no substitute for EXPERIENCE!

True, Sir Chas.!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com