Author Topic: Daylights burning & set yer clocks back: November Cawfee  (Read 448535 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Re: Daylights burning & set yer clocks back: November Cawfee
« Reply #400 on: November 09, 2007, 10:42:15 AM »
Let me wipe off my monitor after that one Majer!  ;D

;D
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #401 on: November 09, 2007, 12:56:38 PM »
Well I just found out how well it pays off to mark handloads and buy stuff ahead.  When I moved my loading room right about the time Dad passed on, some stuff not needed real soon was put back out of the way.  Stuff I didn't know when I'd want again.  Been up sorting stuff and seeing what I had, planned on doing it a month ago, but Rita getting sick put me out of the mood.  Had put it off long enough, plan on getting on with Rowdy's training, needed some of my magic pheasant and quail loads, got one box of "will do in a pinch factory loads."  Have used a load for 25 years that makes the 28 work almost as good as a standard 12 on them and quail.  Knew I could be in trouble, Hodgdon quit making the powder and can't find no more.  Checked the back of the powder drawer, 1 unopened can and part of a open one, opened can still smelled like sovent and looks fine. ;D  1 pound will load 400 and some.

Primers, no big deal, winchester still makes the old 209, but price has gone up, checked, full brick. ;D  Life got better, ok, what about the shot, durn stuff is expensive and #7 (not 7 1/2) is hard to find, knew there was a powder can full, forgot about the unopened bag I found last century.   ;D  I know there are once fired 28 ga AA cases in the attic, always use once fired for serious stuff, might be around 500, but have to move stuff to get to the door.  Found about a 100 someone gave me 4-5 years ago in the bunker, great, more than enough for this year, unless I find a lot of quail.  OK, drug out the Mec 600 from under the bench, looks fine, just have to mount in, no wads though, no big deal, pick up a bag on the way to work, have to pay retail, but I can afford that.

Looked in the bottom of the bunker, an 8 gallon cardboard barrel, chock full of practice loads,, should be all 3/4 oz of #9, load them when I have time, gives me ammo if someone's kid needs to be taught shotgunning, shot a few off in practice this summer with the trap, noticed one had the primer marked green with a magic marker and a light came on.  Didn't plan on hunting birds again till I had another dawg, loaned the gun to Gg in 2002, was to sick to hunt and had lost Midnite that summer anyway.  Remember when he got it back I dumped all the ammo in the barrel, and was going to just load when I needed it. 

Got a couple tubs and sorted, looking for green primers, found almost 3 boxes of them.  Now I don't have to load right away, most likely enough for this season.  Some days a guy does get lucky.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #402 on: November 09, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »
Been throwin’ stuff out the barn little by little.  There’s been a bunch of AAs on the floor out of a coffee can I knocked over back in June or so gettin’ the string trimmer out for yard werk.  Just left ‘em there.

Anyways, when I got a roundtuit, I picked ‘em up off the floor with my suction-cup-pincher-picker-upper-thingy.  They was 21 of ‘em, all primed.  All I can think of is I was loadin’ a box sometime ‘n got interrupted.  Dumped ‘em in the can to get ‘em outtah the way then flat forgot ‘em.  Looked all over for the missin’ 4 but never found ‘em.

Loaded the things up for last Saturday ‘n they all went BOOM.  Had me a backup box in case they didn’t.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #403 on: Today at 11:56:22 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #403 on: November 09, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »
I gueaa it was last winter bought a bunch of shotshell loading stuff from a widow woman.  Several old packs of cci brand 109 primers they are still going boom
Mathew 5.9

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #404 on: November 09, 2007, 02:07:33 PM »
Sounds like a good find, Del. I have a closet with a bunch of shotshell stuff back in there. Maybe this'll get me inspired to go thorough it all. Trouble is, I don't have room for to organize it all nicely. I guess I'll have to start work on the loading bench I've been planning.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #405 on: November 09, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »
Made a l’il progress out there.  Found stuff I fergot I had. Wish I knew where the hell I put the empty 45-70 cases.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #406 on: November 09, 2007, 02:11:59 PM »
Made a l’il progress out there.  Found stuff I fergot I had. Wish I knew where the hell I put the empty 45-70 cases.
Maybe you need to move the chainsaw or something else to find 'em. ;)

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #407 on: November 09, 2007, 02:25:10 PM »
You planning on using one of them .45-70 revolvers for CAS ;D

been raining here off n on today. Was planning on crimping the rounds I made last week.  So between laundry and dishes I cleaned a gun up..Should take my Henry down and confirm I didn't need too. :o
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #408 on: November 09, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
Heh, heh…..  Yeah, maybe so…

They should be on a shelf in the loadin’ corner but they ain’t.  Ain’t loaded many o’er the last few years – no place ta shoot ‘em.  Loaded a box er two fer ‘Sleep ‘n Cammy ‘n I think she won LRR rifle with ‘em at Roundup.  I remember gettin’ ‘em back.

Wonderin’ if I took ‘em out the guncart in the motel room ‘n left ‘em there.  Lotsa things kindah happened in that motel I don’t remember. I dunno.  Know it’s been awhile since I seen ‘em ‘n I’ve looked.

Kindah wanna shoot the Buff Classic again, Rooster.  Ain’t shot it since the old range closed down ‘n it’s got a new sight on it I ain’t never tried.  Got no clue where it’s gonna throw ‘em.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #409 on: November 09, 2007, 03:08:17 PM »
I had a Buff Classic. Very accurate gun. I found a good deal on a rolling block so I sold it to Ol Gabe.

Those shots were with BP and 405gr wheel weight boolits. With softer lead it probably could do better.

The bow hunters went down to the woods a little bit ago. Of course it's sprinkling now.  ::)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #410 on: November 09, 2007, 03:10:17 PM »
Heh, heh…..  Yeah, maybe so…

They should be on a shelf in the loadin’ corner but they ain’t.  Ain’t loaded many o’er the last few years – no place ta shoot ‘em.  Loaded a box er two fer ‘Sleep ‘n Cammy ‘n I think she won LRR rifle with ‘em at Roundup.  I remember gettin’ ‘em back.

Wonderin’ if I took ‘em out the guncart in the motel room ‘n left ‘em there.  Lotsa things kindah happened in that motel I don’t remember. I dunno.  Know it’s been awhile since I seen ‘em ‘n I’ve looked.

Kindah wanna shoot the Buff Classic again, Rooster.  Ain’t shot it since the old range closed down ‘n it’s got a new sight on it I ain’t never tried.  Got no clue where it’s gonna throw ‘em.

I see them Buffalo classics now and then fer sale never knew anyone who owned them.  Do you like it?

Now I know 2
Mathew 5.9

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #411 on: November 09, 2007, 03:13:19 PM »
What kind of sight do you have on it? I've been thinking about putting something worthwhile on mine but haven't any idea what would be good.

Now I know 2

LOL. 3, now.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #412 on: November 09, 2007, 03:13:49 PM »
Arcey, too bad you didn't have the 45-70 last weekend at the range.  I would like to see what it would have done to one of those pumpkins.  ;D

When my loading table cracked I removed my loading equipment and then cleaned it out so I could move it out of the way and set up my new table.  In the cabinet underneath way in the back under some unused equipment I found 100 Pistol and 100 Rifle .45 rounds loaded in heathen.  I haven't loaded heathen in over two years.  Now I have to go shoot them so I can pu the correct powder in them.  ;D ;D ;D
If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #413 on: November 09, 2007, 03:14:18 PM »
Found a few sleeves of CCI #157 primers up there, ain't used them in years, bought a brick back in maybe 88 or so.  Remington used to use that size, smaller than a 109, when I started loading in 79 they had started to switch to 209's, all that still used them were the 3" 12's, the 10's and the 28's.  Still had some Remmy and Peters 28 cases then, and when you shoot one of them, you use up all yer cases and thank anyone who gives you any three times.  Most guys that shoot them reload so they can be hard to find, the price of factory ammo will scare you, durn gun has cost me a lot more to shoot over the years, because of it, good guess is over 50,000 rounds a lot fired to get good with it.  

Still ain't figgered out almost 30 years later why I bought it, got it in Dec of 77.  Just don't like pump guns, love a nice double, if it wasn't one of the best handling shotguns I ever threw to my shoulder I would have parted with it long a go, heck, would have never even bought it.  Almost walked out of the shop with no more than a grange, was lookin' for a 20 double.  Stupid Randy, the shop owner, told me to shoulder it and that was that, I knew I could kill lots of birds with it. ::)

Guess I'm stuck with it now, the wood has scratches in it and some small dents, almost no blueing on the receiver left, in front of the trigger guard looks like it was peened with a tiny hammer from shoving shells in it when the doves are coming in fast.  Durn thing is so slick from use you can hit the bolt release and make it open and close just holding on to the grip and shaking it hard. (empty of course)  If I keep using it I'm going to have to replace the shell interceptor latches, don't think they'll last more that another 5000 rounds or so.  Has cost me twice to fix it at the gunsmith, the middle bead on the Mod barrel got knocked off one time, don't know how, the front bead on the Skeet barrel lost the ivory bead, has cost me less than $20 in repairs.  

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #414 on: November 09, 2007, 03:26:38 PM »
  Marshall Will did you get that sampling of boolits yet?  and have you used any?   Unlike LIT I am not going to find 200 rounds stuck in behind the shelve...I need to load my bride some

I have had vision of assulting a pumplim patch,modified> Pumkin
Mathew 5.9

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #415 on: November 09, 2007, 03:36:02 PM »
Hell, ain’t shot it ‘nuff ta know whether I like it er not.  Had a Handi Rifle in .223 I used fer a plinker.  It was fun.  Sent it off for a 45-70 refit.  Pretty nice but I sold it ‘n bought the Buff.  Me ‘n Veeb were gonna go ta Creeds ta shoot the ‘assault’ rifles ‘n I was gonna carry it along but we never got there.

Will, we shoot no more than a hundred yards at the places I shoot.  I wanted a flat top Marbles mounted on the barrel about like the Marlin Cowboy.  Ain’t a problem hittin’ at a hundred with that. Reckon me ‘n the machinist got our wires crossed ‘n he dovetailed it at the breech.  Didn’t look at it ‘til I got it home ‘n was gonna take it back but since I’ve seen a couple others done that way so I wanna try it as is.  Pretty sure it’s gonna need a taller front sight.

Offline Major E A Sterner

• "Honorary Southern Gentleman"
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 12916L
  • GAF #: 118
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #416 on: November 09, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »

I see them Buffalo classics now and then fer sale never knew anyone who owned them.  Do you like it?

Now I know 2

Nope LR, Ya know 3, I had a 45-70 Buff Classic, shot real good, but I never had a chance ta use it. I traded it to a friend who did a LOT of werk on tha Wifes car. He seems ta like it. I had a Mid Range tang site with a Globe front with spirit level on tha front
Respectfully,Major E.A. Sterner
G.A.F #118
R.A.T.S.#125
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #417 on: November 09, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
Ya know 4, lR. Mine's got a Taylors BP vernier and a Lyman 17A globe front with Lee Shaver inserts. pretty accurate gun, more so than the guy holding it ;D 8) ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #418 on: November 09, 2007, 06:11:44 PM »
I had one of the older ones, had a 22 inch barrel and the cleaning rod under the barrel back in the early 80's, think they called it a Shirika or something like that, swapped it to Dad for him a deer rifle and he got rid of it when he got his 243 pump.  Been around several of the H&r break action rifles, brother owns my old Hornet, they all shot got that I know of.  I know there have been some problems with the 38-55's but that's cause the specs for that round is all over the map.  Only thing I don't like about them is trigger, but they ain't that bad, just like good triggers.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #419 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:15 PM »
well got everything ready for in the morning,  just knowing how to dress is gonna be tough, supposed to be in the high 40's tonight then up to 75 during the day, don't wanta dress too warm. be smothering all day.  ;D

found several rubs today and even  found some more signs of hogs being over at the end of the field.  I'd just take either one. hog or deer, both would be good eating.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com