Author Topic: '58 barrel length  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Concordkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'58 barrel length
« on: October 25, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
Just getting back into the game and I want to go with a pair of Uberti Remington's with R&D cylinders. I just have a question about the handling characteristics of the 5.5 inch barrel vs. the 8 inch barrel. I was actually thinking of getting one of each, the 8" in the strong right hand holster and the 5.5" in a cross draw rig. What are they different characteristics in accuracy and handling if any? Appreciate any help. CK

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: '58 barrel length
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 05:37:26 PM »
They both shoot about the same. I like the balance on both lengths equally, the 8 being maybe a little steadier at arms's length. The 5 1/2 bbl is easier to draw and move from target to target. Both have their advantages. I would get two the same for CAS just so no matter which one you draw, it will feel like the other one. For CAS I use 5 1/2's (actually one 5 1/2 and one cut to 6 but they feel almost identical).

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Concordkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:14:15 PM »
Thanks much Marshall. CK

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:56:23 PM »

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 10:07:05 PM »
Knowing what I know now (i.e. if I had to do it all over again) I'd get a pair of Uberti stainless 5.5" guns. I find that the longer 8" barrels are sometimes a little slower to reholster and draw since you have to haul them out further each way. However, since I am not a razor's edge top competitor it doesn't make a big difference. The faster more accurate shooter will get me every time. I do win a few annuals but it depends as much on the competition's ability to debug their guns as it does on my speed. I've been on top several  times due to the other fellow's misfortunes with their revolvers (fouling, misfires & cap jams).
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Concordkid

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 05:36:51 AM »
I've been eyeing the stainless if I decide to go to "The Dark Side!" ;D

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 10:16:15 AM »
Hey!

I've been eyeing the stainless if I decide to go to "The Dark Side!" ;D

You don't have to be a Dark Lord (like Me  ;) ) to appreciate the LOOK of a nice nickel gun.  (Assuming, of course, that Uberti polishes their Stainless guns to a high gloss like Ruger does THEIRS.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com