Author Topic: Gunslinger vs. Premium cost reversal  (Read 2994 times)

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gunslinger vs. Premium cost reversal
« on: October 19, 2007, 09:02:38 AM »
I was just window shopping the USFA website and noticed a curious item.  The base price of a Gunslinger is $1145, while the Premium SAA is only $950.

I bought my first USFA, a Gunslinger, less than two years ago.  I went to a gun show in Phoenix for the express purpose of tracking down a USFA.  The only one I could find that was within my price range was a Gunslinger.  I wasn't a real fan of the faux antiquing, just a personal preference--if I shoot an old looking gun I prefer it to have acquired its age naturally.  And I believe that despite the pains USFA goes to to produce a long-lasting finish, it will wear off due to usage and cleaning, leaving a gray gun.  The cost was $800 and I later discovered that I could have bought it from Gary Granger for $750.  As I recall the Premium was about $1050 or so.

Later I bought a couple of Rodeos, and recently I bought a Premium SAA from Gary which is the model I always wanted to begin with.  The price was only $950.  The casehardening and blueing are true works of art.  I can sit and stare at this pistol for hours.

Although I'm still not a big fan of the looks of my Gunslinger, and I've even thought of selling it to help finance a Premium, I've hung onto it because it is the smoothest, sweetest shooting pistol I own.  Even smoother than the Premium.  Light years beyond the Rodeos.  I've been toying with the idea of buying another Gunslinger so that I could use it in CAS matches without worrying about wear and tear, and save my Premium for less brutal usage.

I don't see many (any, actually) other Gunslingers around.  I don't see many posts about it, either.  I have the feeling, based on nothing but these factors, that it's not one of the more popular pistols from USFA.  I know the antique patina is a long process.  But I'm surprised that the Gunslinger cost has jumped so high.  Now, the Gunslinger and Premium have reversed positions!  As I said at the beginning, this is a curious state of affairs....
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Gunslinger vs. Premium cost reversal
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 12:59:16 AM »
Curious indeed!  I have to agree with you, I'm not a big fan of those fake antique finishes either.  About the only good thing I can say is that of all the companies that are doing it, USFA seems to offer the most authentic looking finish.
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 09:38:06 AM »
Sure is.  At a cas match a couple of weeks ago my gunslinger fooled two experienced shooters, one of whom is a gunsmith (they didn't take a close look, just commented at the unloading table).  I wish the gunslingers weren't so expensive, now. I'd buy another one just to use in cas, and leave my premium at home.
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:53:58 AM »

Offline The Chaplain from Hell!

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 11:30:23 PM »
Gentlemen:

I have one each of a Gunslinger (.45 4-3/4) and a Pre-War (.45 7-1/2), both are absolutely the finest SAA's I've used in the last 50+ years of shooting.  I would have to give a slight edge to the Gunslinger in action,  but they are both top notch.

The Chaplain from Hell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:15:17 PM »
Yessir, Gunslingers are smooth.  Unfortunately, though, I'm finally selling mine to fund the 44-40 Rodeos I have on order.  I made a decision to switch calibers and I just don't have the funds to keep all my guns.  >:(

Chaplain, if you want a mate for your Gunslinger, let me know.

JD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com