Author Topic: How 'bout this..."least favorite Western"...  (Read 43368 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 475
Re: How 'bout this..."least favorite Western"...
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 08:37:58 AM »
"JOHNNY GUITAR" had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I'll accept a little historical anachronism if the story is good or I like the actors.
I am one of the few, I suppose, who likes "DANCES WITH WOLVES", long range killing of a buffalo with a Henry aside.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 09:04:27 AM »
"JOHNNY GUITAR" had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

I'll accept a little historical anachronism if the story is good or I like the actors.
I am one of the few, I suppose, who likes "DANCES WITH WOLVES", long range killing of a buffalo with a Henry aside.

RCJ

Nope you are not alone.  I loved Dances with Wolves.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 06:31:21 PM »
Hello River City John

I agree with you 100% about Johnny Guitar, I've got the western channel , and it seems they feel they have to keep playing it over and over, it was a bad movie even in its time, but it is a western ,and I suport anything Western , I'm just hope there through showing it for a while.

Now as far as Kevin Kostner goes , I don't think he's ever made a bad Western movie, I like all his stuff , even though some of them are a little long. I say THANK GOD there are peaple and actors like Keven Kostner that are still willing to make Western movies, and help keep the WEST ALIVE... AMEN-AMEN-AMEN.....

Have a Great Day  ;) :D ;D ;D

Ten Wolves   ;D

NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:32:12 AM »

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 12:16:57 PM »
I usually feel inside every Kevin Costner movie is a half hour shorter Great Movie just waiting to come out.   Although, Open Range doesn't need to be trimmed down at all.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »
Open Range is his best film to date.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 07:22:51 AM »
Open Range is his best film to date.

Agreed.

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 09:31:44 AM »
To date, I have not seen "Open Range"...probably just because it stars Kevin Costner!

The only thing I have ever seen him in that I thought he was alright in was "Silverado"... though maybe it's just that I like that movie despite Costner being in it...

He's a fireball, ain't he?  Remember "Robin Hood"?  Not exactly Errol Flynn.  I'm not sure I managed to sit all the way through that movie...I had some painting to do.

;D
The quickest reload is a second gun!

www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Flintlocks                                                                                       
Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »
Stophel , My friend you are cheating yourself having not seen Open Range
Duvall is at his very best ,
 Costner was suffering from appendicitis and emergency surgury ( while directing & doing a very creditable job as Charlie Waite)
I think it adds something to his dark quiet character.
Sir Michael Gambon is evil and believable.
The late Michael Jetter ( his last film ) did a fine performance.
And Annette Benning for-gos stereotype Hollywood beauty makeup , and shows an plain inner beauty in her portrayal.

It is grand in visual locations & and the Town set is a wonderful credit to Gae Buckley the Production Designer.

I too, opted not to see it in the theater, I'm sorry .... My advice ?  spring for the DVD or at least rent it....
It is simply the best performance by Costner so far....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »
I do intend to do so.  I really like Robert Duvall (well, with one noted exception!...but that's due to other factors, not his fine acting).  My new favorite movie is "Broken Trail", which I think was absoutely outstanding.  I have building up my westerns DVD library.  I got a pretty fair collection right at the moment.  Most of them are of the Tom Selleck/Sam Elliot variety.  I have a FEW John Wayne movies.  I started to watch Red River the other night, but it was late, and I fell asleep!  I have a bunch of '30's serials...I even like watching them, goofy as they can be.  Better than the crap that is on TV these days. :-X

Ich bin der Weg, und die Wahrheit, und das Leben, niemand kommt zur Vater denn durch mich.  Johannes 14:6

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2007, 12:23:33 PM »
If you like "Broken Trail" you will really like "Open Range" it is one of the best Westerns to date.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Apprentice Maker of Big Sooty Clouds
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 02:12:18 PM »
At the risk of incurring the wrath of Duke lovers:

I don't think I've watched a John Wayne Western all the way through in my life. 'YAWN'

Offline Kinda Sudden

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 12:02:10 AM »
Watched Long Riders last night, should have known better with all of the brothers in it. Get the idea that the Keach's and Caradines decided to play Cowboy one weekend and filmed it although, there was some good scenery in it.

Agree about Lonesome Dove, I use to like Robert Duvall but not after one hundred hours (it seemed like) of that movie.

Also agree about never watching a whole Duke movie.

But the all time winner here (or is it loser?) would be a movie I seen a long time ago, I don't remember the name but it had a black guy, it could have been maybe Sammy Davis Jr., dressed in black of course, who was a vampire.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 02:25:51 AM »
a vampire western? Wow....that really sounds bad....I bet that really sucked ;D

Offline Stophel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
Some John Wayne movies I like, others I ain't all that crazy about. "The Searchers", of course, is outstanding.  "McClintock" on the other hand....

I want you all to know that I watched "Open Range" the other day.  By golly, it was good!  Even Costner delivered a not-horrible performance!  I hate to say that he was actually good in this movie!

I now get Encore Westerns channel....YAY!!!  I tell you, though, I never knew that there were so many bad Westerns!!!  The small-budget movies.  Some are actually good, others....frighteningly bad.  Even those are often enjoyable in their own way.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2007, 01:08:25 PM »
There is hope for you yet Stophel.   :D

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2007, 09:33:20 AM »
At the risk of incurring the wrath of Duke lovers:

I don't think I've watched a John Wayne Western all the way through in my life. 'YAWN'

get a rope !  ;D
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2007, 11:28:02 AM »
The Last Hard Men. It had an excellent cast, starring Charlton Heston and James Coburn, but Coburn, ordinarily one of my favorite actors, played his role so over-the-top, mugging and overacting like a Little Theater ham, that it was embarrassing to watch. I guess he needed a firm directorial hand and there was none at the helm in that film.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »
The wife and I ran across "Billy the Kid Meets Dracula" about a month ago.  Absurd can hardly describe what we saw.  It was followed by something like "Jesse James Meets the Wolfman" but we were asleep by then.  I guess it was all part of the 1950's matinee scene. 

Sergio Leone is the Master.  I'll take my spagetti and fling it all over the rest!
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Mike McCain

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 09:41:02 PM »
IMO the worst western of all time was PONDEROSA, that awful BONANZA redo in 2001.

Offline Black Powder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Not messed with since 1956
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »
least favorite Western...

"The Quick and the Dead"

Annoying and then it's downhill from there.

BP
I've got my excuses and I'm stickin' to 'em.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com