Author Topic: Quirts  (Read 4888 times)

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quirts
« on: October 01, 2007, 11:26:36 PM »
Hey ya'll: I haven't seen any quirts (outside of indian ones) in any pictures taken north of Texas or maybe Arizona. Were they mostly confined to southwestern areas?                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cuzzin Jack
Sgt. Company A 8th Cavalry- Never start a vast project with half vast plans

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Quirts
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 10:15:27 AM »
Seems to me, that I did an article about Quirts and their use - but I don't remember if it was for CAS City.

In general - use of the Quirt had heavy Mexican influence, as did much of the trappings of the American Cowboy.

He adopted much of the gear that originated with the Vaqueros - and you saw it being used in the Southwest.

Up North - slightly different gear was more prevalent, and they don't seem to show in period photos.

Many highly-decorative quirts came out of the different prison systems and were inmate-made.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 02:45:14 PM »
Thanks St. George. Any idea why so many were loaded?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:58:15 PM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 05:17:06 PM »
To give them a bit of 'force' when used.

Like the difference between a 'spring-loaded cosh' and a modern slapjack - the additional weight of shot would add 'emphasis' when really needed - but like anything - the user had to control it.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:08:22 PM »
I wondered about rhat. I had a "horse trainer" tell me once that it was for negative reinforcement on a habitually rearing horse!                                                                                                                                                                                              Cuzzin Jack

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:44:38 AM »
I wondered about rhat. I had a "horse trainer" tell me once that it was for negative reinforcement on a habitually rearing horse!                                                                                                                                                                                              Cuzzin Jack

The correct term would actually be PUNISHMENT  and not negative reinforcement. ;)
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Cuzzin Jack

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 01:29:34 PM »
I agree.                                                                                                                                                                                                Cuzzin Jack

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 07:59:24 AM »

I think i know him   LOL................

From the years I lived in the Northwestern States I seen plenty of them in collections, Many more made at Deer Lodge and other peanal insitutes,  I own 'em because of the ornate art involved in them.   I had seen many wanna bes carrying them.  You know English riders carry bats or crops, they have done so for hundreds of years.  Makes me wonder if the Vaqueros didn't copy this from them. Using materials readly available, rawhide or horsehair. They also produced Romel reins which incorporated the Quirt in the reins.

If you look the art of Russell and Remington you will find evidence of the Quirt in use
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com