Author Topic: Corned Beef Soup?  (Read 6477 times)

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Corned Beef Soup?
« on: September 23, 2007, 01:55:06 PM »
Hey, y’all.

Many years ago, my Grand Momma, rest ‘er, love ya Mattie-Pearl, would make up this soup.

Had cubed potato, carrot, celery ‘n kindah cubed ‘n shredded corned beef in it, best memory.  Suppose the corned beef couldah been ragged from the cookin’ ‘n not shredded.  Had onions cut big so’s I could find ‘em ‘n get ‘em out.  Broth, I’m thinkin’, was the water she boiled it up in.  She may have added some seasonin’ ta the water.  Seem ta remember her stirrin’ it, tastin’ it ‘n tossin’ somethin’ in it now ‘n again. 

She weren’t raised on much. Had it rough as a young widow ‘n momma. Country girl. Learned ta do what she could with what she had. Maybe the recipe died with her.  Maybe there never was one. In much better times she never changed.

Ain’t managed ta find nothin’ on Google lookin’ right.  Could be I ain’t usin’ the right search terms. Been thinkin’ ‘bout it here lately. ‘Fore too long, I hope, the weather’s gonna be right for it.  Really like ta have sum again.

Hate ta bother y’all but I know some if ya are inta down-home cookin’ ‘n ya might know.  Should I just get the ingredients I remember, throw ‘em inna pot ‘n see what happens?
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Corned Beef Soup?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 03:00:40 PM »
Should I just get the ingredients I remember, throw ‘em inna pot ‘n see what happens?

That's just perzac'ly what I'd do, Arcey.  'Course, you know I ain't no gower-met type cook, I just sort'a always does that; every time I try to follow a recipe, something just don't turn out 'xactly right, and I don't like the results.  However, the same sitchyashin goes for cookin' the way I do: sometimes I get a winner, sometimes it's a dud.  ;D
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »
LOL!!!!!!!  Was kindah hopin’ sumbody would talk me outtah that, El Peludo.

Wife’ll be outtah town for a night visitin’ the grand kids in a couple weeks.  Think I will.

Thankee, mi amigo.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:19:41 PM »

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:02:08 AM »
Hoi, Arcey.  Don't know if this works for you, but I when I boil the packaged corned beef, I add cabbage, carrots and potatoes along with the seasoning packet that comes with the meat..  I suppose onions and celery would work as well.  It makes a right tasty, clear broth soup.  As you know we like our rice in "Paradise".  My daughter loves the broth and added veggies and corned beef with rice.  Just plain'ol soup'n rice.   :)  Hmmm, but I suppose you know that already, about boiling and the broth.  Sorry, can't help much.  :-[

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 10:41:13 AM »
My mother used to do basically the same thing. The only seasonings she used was salt and pepper. She tossed in carrots, cabbage and potatoes. Sometimes celery. It came out good. I'd cook the whole thing, pull the meat out to shred or cube it and toss it back in. Ba-da-bing, you're in business.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 10:57:11 AM »
Drooling

My Mother, God bless her gentle sole , used to make something like that.... :)

When she made a pot roast (usually a Chuck Roast now call California Roast) she would cube the left-over meat.
She made a Rue ( her word for it) from the juices in the pan with flour ( rice flour sometimes , I think) she would cut Potato's, carrots, onions & celery in 1/2 cubes and made a thick soup ... called it hash ....
She made corn fritters to go with it...... Gosh ! I miss those eats
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:36:35 AM »
Thanks, boys.  It all sounds sooooooooooooooooo good..........

Offline Top Kick Ken

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oscar S. Johnson, GAR, My Great Grandfather.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 11:22:15 PM »
Hey Arcey,

My grandma used to make something similar to that, but it was a baked casserole.  One of my favorite meals, usually sometime near Thanksgiving.  It was really good after a trip to the park in San Francisco, when we went to visit during the holidays. 

Here is the recipe for those who may want to try it.   

Top Kick Ken

Corned Beef and Vegetable Casserole

2 cups Diced Raw Potatoes
2 cups Diced Raw Carrots
1 cup Diced Raw Celery
2 Onions Quartered
1 ½ Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Thyme Leaves
¼ Tsp Ground Black Pepper
¼ Tsp Instant Minced Garlic
1 Can (12 oz.) Corned Beef
¼ Cup Vegetable Cooking Water
¾ Cup Soft Bread Crumbs
2 Tbsp. Butter or Margarine

Cook the first eight ingredients in boiling water.  (Save ¼ cup of the cooking water.)  Drain and put half into a 1 ½ Qt Casserole.  Break corned brief into small pieces over the vegetables.  Cover with remaining vegetables.  Add vegetable water.  Combine bread crumbs and butter or margarine and sprinkle over the top.  Bake in a moderate oven (350 degree) for 45 minutes or until browned.
Respectfully Submitted,

Top Kick Ken
Sergeant Major, Department of the Pacific
Grand Army of the Frontier

GAF #71
BOLD #943
SASS #47880L

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 12:10:35 AM »
That's an interesting twist to bake it, Ken. Thanks for the idea.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »
Hey, y’all.

Many years ago, my Grand Momma, rest ‘er, love ya Mattie-Pearl, would make up this soup.
................ edited by SHB

Ain’t managed ta find nothin’ on Google lookin’ right.  Could be I ain’t usin’ the right search terms. Been thinkin’ ‘bout it here lately. ‘Fore too long, I hope, the weather’s gonna be right for it.  Really like ta have sum again.

Arcey, this sounds great.  Why d'ya have to wait fer the weather?  ;D ;D  (Tradition aside.)  I never understood folks whut insisted on cold weather afore makin' some soups, stews or chili!  I kin eat chili 366 days a year! (Don' wanna leave out Leap Year!) ;D  Stew tew!  er, two.  ...  er, too.  ... also
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 10:27:45 AM »
Steel Hoss, mi amigo.  Hearty soups, chili ‘n stews, all good ‘n hot, are some of my favorite things in the whole wide werld – when it’s cool.

The weather thing may be just us.  The wife ‘n the kids, when they were growin’ up, weren’t much on hot meals in the summer either.  Ya run outtah room temperature stuff afferwhile.  Can’t eat salads ever evenin’.  A steak ever once in a while.  Some brats grilled out.  Chicken dishes ‘n fish.  Lots of subs from Zero’s ‘n Subway.  Pasta.

Many ah time after a hot, sweaty shoot don’t want nuttin’ when I get here but a shower ‘n beer.  On those days, I’ve had grits ‘n eggs fer breakfast ‘n an iced can of tuna with some crackers fer the snack break it the range.

You’re probably normal ‘n I ain’t.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 10:42:09 PM »
Me? NORMAL?  :o

Surely, you jest!

No, I'm not jesting, and stop calling me Shirley!! ::)

Arcey, pard - LOTS of folks jes eat the hot-stuff when it gits cold ... it aint jes you!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 10:52:51 PM »
Soups and such, all year, for me. Heck, we're a minority so far.

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 02:13:39 AM »
Well, the minority is getting smaller, or should that be larger??  We like soups and stews and chili most anytime.  'Course, if'n ya' want a cool soup, there is always Gaspacho - but that's something for another thread, I suppose.
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com