Author Topic: Cimarron 16" Trapper  (Read 7059 times)

Offline doc spudley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron 16" Trapper
« on: September 18, 2007, 01:09:41 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Cimarron's 1873 16" Trapper rifle?  Is there any benefit to having a shorter barrel length than the popular 20" barrel?  I would welcome any comments or advice before spending the $$$$.
Thanks,
Doc Spudley

Online Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
Re: Cimarron 16" Trapper
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
If you're using it for Cowboy Action Shooting, I don't think it'll hold 10 rounds. Other than that, it should be as good as any other Cimarron '73.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline doc spudley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:15:10 PM »
Thanks Marshal,
I do plan to use it for cowboy shooting.  According to Cimarron, it does holds 10 rounds of .45LC.
Just wondering if it would be faster than moving around with a longer rifle.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:14:07 AM »

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 02:57:52 PM »
Barrel wise, I know I can turn in faster times with my short barreled, lighter Marlin ’94 CS than I can with my heavier, long barreled Marlin Cowboy.  I pick up the targets quicker ‘n I don’t tend to overswing the targets as badly.

I use the Cowboy because I think it fits the look of Black Powder better than the CS.  It’s not because of BP fouling and the Microgroove barrel as some have suggested.  That’s bunk.

Sorry to go OT.  I’m supposed to be watchin’ for that.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Online Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 04:46:12 PM »
I do plan to use it for cowboy shooting.  According to Cimarron, it does holds 10 rounds of .45LC.
Just wondering if it would be faster than moving around with a longer rifle.
I would think it would be faster. I can move a carbine much faster than a long rifle. I have a short rifle that is close to the carbine in handling (only 1" longer barrel). I would think the Trapper would be better still.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1273
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 01:12:22 AM »
I have a Cimarron 16" Trapper '73 in 45LC.  It holds ten rounds.  I like it a lot although the barrel does tend to wave around just a bit for me compared to longer barrels. 

Offline Knight77

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 01:38:27 PM »
Cimarron was supposed to come out with an 1892 trapper but I haven't been able to find one.  Has anyone seen these?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 08:28:01 PM »
I bought one to play around with.  With the round carbine style barrel and carbine stock they are distinctly butt heavy.  The most popular gun for CAS is the 20" Border Rifle.  If the trapper had any speed advantage, all the speedsters would be using them.  They aren't.  If I only had one CAS rifle, it would be the Border Rifle.  The Trapper is interesting, but getting the 10th round in is iffy if your rounds are near max OAL.  I also like just a little bit more weight forward of the trigger guard.  The Trapper seems kind of whippy moving from target to target because the balance is so far to the rear.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1273
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »
Knight77,
Cimarron does have some Armi-Sport '92 Trappers in stock.  They have a 16" octagonal barrel.  They are not really meant for CAS as they only hold 8 rounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com