Author Topic: Which importer for an 1873 Winchester reproduction?  (Read 22749 times)

Offline Schofield

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which importer for an 1873 Winchester reproduction?
« on: September 12, 2007, 06:20:25 PM »
After quite a bit of thought and reading on this forum, and for various different reasons, I have decided to buy the following rifle:  Model 1873 Lever Action Rifle, Casehardened Steel Frame, .44/40 Caliber, 24" Octagonal Blue Barrel.  Now my big question is from which importer?  I have read that most all the big name importers sell Ubertis (with different specs).  But, before I sell the farm to buy one of these, I would appreciate any discussion and personal opinion as to whether there are any operating differences between them, the best looking (and any differences in them if the individual specs make that much difference), positive and negative customer service experiences, or maybe direct me to other threads that have had this discussion already, etc.  I know this question covers a lot, but one of these is probably all I'll ever be able to afford.  Thanks.

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
Re: Which importer for an 1873 Winchester reproduction?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:40:31 PM »
I just bought a '73 by Uberti, imported by Cimarron.  I was told that Cimarron has high standards and works with the Italians to be sure they receive only the best firearms.  My stock is very nice walnut, a lot nicer than any of our other rifles.  The rifle seems accurate and feels great.

However, there's a problem.  After I load the rifle, the first round hangs up.  This happens almost every time.  The rim of the cartridge gets hung and doesn't slip into the carrier, so the cartridge is a little diagonal and the lifter jams against it.  I posted a query about this on another forum and several shooters and 3 gunsmiths told me this is a common problem with this rifle (it's a .45LC).  They told me I could cure it by filing a bevel along the top of the mortice behind the loading gate and this would cure it.  But after thinking about it for a while, and given the fact that I just paid a thousand bucks for a gun that doesn't work well, I decided I'm gonna make Cimarron fix it.  I'll be able to give you some educated feedback on their customer service very shortly.
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 08:48:05 AM »
You will be much happier with Taylors than Cimarron.  Order it in 44-40 and you wont have any problems with smokeless or Black powder.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:03:49 AM »

Online Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »
I have a '73 carbine imported by Cimarron, as does my wife, and also a '73 short rifle imported by Navy Arms. They all are fine guns, no problems with any of them. The Cimarrons have been in use for almost 10 years and the Navy Arms is new to me but was used some when I got it. Whatever you get, have an action job done by someone who knows these rifles to save them from undue wear caused by the truck springs put in them from the factory. I recommend Steve Young in Texas but there may be other good 'smiths that are closer to you.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:15:23 AM »
I recently bought a used Uberti '73 in .45 lc. It was imported by IAB. It seems to work fine (this weekend will be its first big work out) but the chamber seems plenty loose.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »
I own four Cimarron pistols and couldn't be more pleased. Cimarron has the more accurte roll stamping on the barrels while most of the other importers stamp thier name on them. I bought my 73 EMF from Pioneer Gunworks slicked and ready to go. Taylors and Cody Conagher also offer the 73 with action work. The reason I bought the EMF is because Pioneer has a better price with the action work so I only had to pay shipping once. Taylors and Cody offer the same type of package. Both of these companies offer great service, Cimarron appears to be slower in repair service. If you plan to do your own smithing or have a gunsmith you use locally I would suggest buying the least expensive one you can find. What I've learned so far is to find a smith or two I can trust and forget about the mfg. unless its a major warranty problem. By the time I pay to have the gun shipped back and forth, I could have spent less money having it done locally or sent to a good gunsmith. A lot of these rifles we us, the 73, 92, and Marlin can be OAL sensitive so it may take little tweeking to find out what your gun likes. The 44-40 is a great caliber for the 73. Driftwood can explain this stuff alot better, but I hope this helps. Good luck.

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/
http://www.codyscowboyshop.com/
http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/products/cf1873Winchester.tpl

Jefro,  Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 07:22:32 AM »
 ???Now that I thought I had this 1873 rifle figured out, I read this post! I live in the middle of no where, so I quess I am going to have to drive some miles and play with some diff. importer :-\. I had my mine made up on 45LC, because I shoot 45LC in some of my pistols, also shoot 44 special.
 But I know a lot of you pards shoot the 44/40, because of the types of shoots you go to! I will never go to a registered shoot so I don't have that problem to worry about!
 Let's talk 44/40, I would have to buy dies, brass, molds, sizers. First question, I mold a 200 grain rn in 44 and size to 429, could I size this bullet to 428 and get buy okay? Be honest, and I want everyone thoughts, if you were me would you buy the 44/40, so far I havn't shot smoke yet! I have a lot of smokeless powder, but at sometime, I am going to shoot smoke!!!
  For me there are only a few places to shoot, that I can afford to drive to (if gas doesn't get much higher), over by Independence i can't spell very good, and down to Cassville. I like the cassville group (only place I have been, and only watched) they have a lot of fun, and most of them are SASS Shooters
 Pards help me out here, give me your thoughts
Thanks
Ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Haggis MacGurk

• Apprentice Maker of Big Sooty Clouds
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 07:51:37 AM »
Well, I shoot 44-40 in both my Stampedes and my Uberti '66, and I haven't found that it's any more expensive than loading for other calibers in that size range.(give or take a few pennies here and there)
As far as bullet size, I'm sure others will be able to articulate a better answer than me, but I run .429 200gn RNFP through all three of my guns and it works great. I did some research, though, and found data with bore size for all three of my guns. If in doubt, get the barrel slugged.

Online Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 08:46:46 PM »
Although some are having good results reloading 44-40, most I talk to say it's finicky and they trash a couple cases every 100 or so. No-one I talk to that is reloading 45 Colt, myself included, has any difficulties at all. 45 Colt is Murphy proof. I wouldn't avoid reloading 44-40 if that's what I wanted to shoot but, all things being equal, I'll take 45 Colt over 44-40 hands down. If you're going to be buying loaded ammunition, either one is great.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »

I have to agree with Marshal Wingam, I own several handguns in different cal., and this is over a 48 year span, and I've always gone back to the 45 long Colt,cal., it's easy to load , and a lot more user friendly than some of the bottle neck cartridges, I know there are some that will dissagree, with what I'm saying , and I think that's just being loyal to what you have and like, But I like the 45 long Colt, it just feels right .

Ten Wolves  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 08:00:42 PM »
Just picked up a 73 in 357 from Taylor's 2 days ago and it is very nice. ;D Shoots my handloads better than factory ammo. ;D Still a bit stiff but a few hundred rounds should help that. 8) The picture has a 92 on top an the 73 in the middle and the 94 on the bottom plus my new AWA Longhorn. ;D ;D ;D
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Offline Schofield

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »
Nice looking 73 Floyd!  Is it a 20 or 24 inch barrel?

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2007, 10:23:35 PM »
The 94 is 18 the 73 is 20 the 92 is 24. One for every occasion.  ;D :D ::)
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Offline Schofield

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2007, 07:20:07 AM »
I ordered a 73 .44-40 from Pioneer Gun Works in early October.  Joe said it would be Dec or Jan delivery.  I'm really looking forward to getting it.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »
I ordered a 73 .44-40 from Pioneer Gun Works in early October.  Joe said it would be Dec or Jan delivery.  I'm really looking forward to getting it.

You will love it.  It will be your favorite rifle for sure.  Great caliber choice also.  Congrats.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Schofield

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2007, 11:05:33 AM »
Thank you Don.  Your comments were very helpful in my decision making process.  I appreciated everyone's comments.

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
The 94 is 18 the 73 is 20 the 92 is 24. One for every occasion.  ;D :D ::)
Sorry I forgot the picture. :-[
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311

Offline Trooper Joe

• Trooper Joe
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »
I drove to Cimarron’s store in Texas two years ago and bought a 44-40 model 73.  It has an octagon barrel, case hardened receiver and pistol grip.  This is a beautiful rifle (I think they called it the “Texas Border rifle” or something like that).

This gun is very accurate and I would like to start handloading for it.  I actually carried it in Michigan woods last year during deer hunting season (of course I only carried it on a sunny/non-rain day).

So far I have had no trouble with it.

I gave up looking for a real Model 73 Winchester on that trip.  For more money, I could have bought a Winchester 73 that I probably would have been afraid to shoot.

Good luck with your search.

Trooper Joe
Trooper Joe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com