Author Topic: CZ and Colt TTN  (Read 13383 times)

Offline yul b. nekst

• Unforgiven
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CZ and Colt TTN
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:16:41 AM »
Anyone try the new CZ or Colt style TTN side by side hammer shotguns? I'm looking for real working hammers and not the Californicated by-product, where it seems like all these goofy "safety" devices start.
"Any s.o.b. takes a shot at me, I'm not only going to kill him, I'm going to kill his wife and all his friends and burn his damn house down".
- William Munny

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: CZ and Colt TTN
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 06:19:17 AM »
The TTN SxS are real functioning external hammer shotguns.  They are very well made.  Many pards here and on the SASS website have them and love them.  I have one that will shoot just about anything you put in it including 3" mags.  The springs are a bit tight on them but TTN offers lighter springs for free I believe.  The gun is very well fitted with wood to metal being near perfect as far as I can tell.  You cant go wrong with the TTN coach gun.   Others here will chime in I am sure.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 08:00:09 AM »
What Deadeye said  ;)

I bought mine in 05, it came with the lighter spring installed and larger bead front sight.
 I even asked Walter Johnson of TTN if he had one with some nice figure in the Black walnut , he did not disappoint me.
I have replied to these questions before, I believe it is the best SXS for the money.
Walter Johnson offers great customer service.
A nice feature is the Hammers are close together so you can thumb them both together.
Another is the rounded heel pistol grip of the butt , just reads 19th. Century

Since I bought mine TTN has offer some options , now Case Hardened Colors & hand Checkering is available
Both options are done here in the States.. on the standard SXS.

At the time, I was shopping I contacted ADCO about the CZ (Turkish Guns) They had just begun to advertise them ( basically The old Liberty II SXS with a new name & importer)  He was expecting them in the Summer or 05.
They still did not have any by late fall 05..
I asked about parts and was told , ADCO did not carry parts ( same issue that the Liberty II faced )...
Though, ADCO responded to my inquiries, they did not have any Guns to sell , that , and they don't offer parts had me look elsewhere.

The TTn is available from several sources , TTN International (Walt Johnson) , EMF Corp, and I believe Phil Rezac &/or the Marshel here offered some.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:25:09 AM »

Offline yul b. nekst

• Unforgiven
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 01:41:08 AM »
A search for TNN International turned up an error web page using several search engines. Any other info for getting in contact with these people?
"Any s.o.b. takes a shot at me, I'm not only going to kill him, I'm going to kill his wife and all his friends and burn his damn house down".
- William Munny

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 05:24:22 AM »
 TTN International, Inc.,
 23192 Alcalde Suite "I",
Laguna Hills, CA

They may have server problems

Phone: (949) 707-1718,
 Fax: (949) 707-1806

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:14:32 AM »
Yes, the server appears to be down.  If I remember correctly the website is nothing to write home about anyways.  I would give them  a call like the Major suggested.   Here is a picture of my coach gun if you wanted to see one.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/Psychman/?action=view&current=1878CoachGun.jpg

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 10:02:05 PM »
I have the exactly same TTN that Deadeye has and its solid as an Abrams tank, smooth,,,well balanced and shoots like a house fire....honestly,,,one'a the better guns quality wise going I think....Im surprised they are as reasonable as they are..and I 'think' Taylors carries them now ? Might wanna double check that but im almost sure....

Marshal Deadwood

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »
I picked one up a few months ago. Great gun. Mine also came with the lighter springs and the larger bead. They didn't have the color case at that time or I would have gotten that. It's never disapionted me. Doc O

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 06:26:22 PM »
Doc
it is a US finish ( an option I believe add $150 to the base SXS )

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 09:08:07 PM »
I have one of the earlier TTN's. It came with the heavier springs and the small bead. I called Walt about the optional stuff and he sent them to me free of charge. This gun had a slight problem with the lighter springs, but my smith and I figured it out and it's run like a Swiss watch ever since. As far as CAS shotguns go, I think it's probably the best thing going................Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 09:43:56 PM »
Yes, the server appears to be down.  If I remember correctly the website is nothing to write home about anyways.  I would give them  a call like the Major suggested.   Here is a picture of my coach gun if you wanted to see one.

http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t283/Psychman/?action=view&current=1878CoachGun.jpg

[/quo    Fine looking collection of weapons Deadeye, I enjoyed looking at your pictures  :)

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 06:24:19 AM »
Ten Wolves,  Thanks for the kind words.  That is just part of the "collection".   ;D

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
Hi Pards

I talked to Walter Johnson of TTN this moring, I told him I was interested in his case harden sxs in 12 ga. He told me they won't be doing the case harding or checkering anymore,  It was just too mush work, they had to disasemble the guns and then put them back together, he told me the only one that had the case hardened sxs is Taylers. I just wanted to let you guys now how things are, I'm still going to go with TTN , I'll take a look at them this Saturday 15 th.

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER :(
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 07:28:44 AM »
I just have the blued TTN version and like it just fine. The case hardened is a bit more expensive anyways. 

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 12:50:46 PM »
Howdy Deadeye

Will I went to the Dings &Dents sale that EMF held at Walker47, on Sat.15, and like all of you said the TTN Coach Gun is one nice sxs, and it is built like a tank the lighten springs make it easy to load and unload, cocking both hammers at one time is also easy.
          I'm glad I listen to my Pards on this one , I bought the 12 gage, also bought a Hartford 1892 45 cal. lever action,also a real nice gun, I got the 20" hex barrel, I didn't know untill yesterday the the Hartford 1892 was a Rossi, I guess that's why this gun doesn't need an action job, it's as smoooooth as butter right out of the box.
         I think I might redo the stocks on both of these guns, the way they are, it feels like there isn't a finish on them, except maybe oil. They might get gritty with use if left like this , if anyone has a comment on this let me know. Now I have all my back up guns. Just have to wait those 10 long days before I can go down there and pick them up. :( ;D

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE ADVICE

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 06:35:12 AM »
I would not touch the stocks.  The varnish put on alot of modern made cowboy guns is not historically correct anyways.  The "oiled" finish worked just fine back in the day.  It works fine today also.  Others may have more historical information for you on stock finishes.  Regards.  Deadeye.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2007, 08:27:04 AM »
I would not touch the stocks.  The varnish put on alot of modern made cowboy guns is not historically correct anyways.  The "oiled" finish worked just fine back in the day.  It works fine today also.  Others may have more historical information for you on stock finishes.  Regards.  Deadeye.

The beauty of oil finish is that if you should gouge or damage the stock you can easily repair it. Not so easy with a poly or varnished finish.

I have raised almost 3/16th " of an inch dent in walnut with a simple damp rag and my wife's steam iron , some steel wool and re-oil.

like deadeye said "The "oiled" finish worked just fine back in the day.  It works fine today......Don't fix it ...if it ain't broke !  ;)

The American Black Walnut on my TTn is nicely figured and has a pleasing oil finish.
If your Rossi Hartford is to light a finish ( some are ) you can darken with a stain, rub out with 0000 steel wool and re-oil.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »
Hello Deadeye & Major 2

Thanks for the come back, I guess you guys are right about the oil finish, never thought about that way, but you're right they didn't have poly or the true oil finishes back then. I remember my Grand Dads guns all had an oil finish. Major 2, you said you can use a darker stain if you want it darker, I take it that you mean an oil stain,and after staining, you rub it down with 0000, steel wool and then oil it down , what type of oil do you use, do you use common boiled Linseed oil or do you use rubbing oil, or what do you like best. The steaming the dent's out thing, is a good trick, I'll give it a try in future.
              I would like to thank both you Pards for your addvice, I really appreciate it, I like to tinker with things, and sometimes I think I would be better off if just kept my hands in my pockets. ??? :-\ :-[ ;D

Shoot Straight

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2007, 07:54:28 PM »
Hello Deadeye & Major 2

Thanks for the come back, I guess you guys are right about the oil finish, never thought about that way, but you're right they didn't have poly or the true oil finishes back then. I remember my Grand Dads guns all had an oil finish. Major 2, you said you can use a darker stain if you want it darker, I take it that you mean an oil stain,and after staining, you rub it down with 0000, steel wool and then oil it down , what type of oil do you use, do you use common boiled Linseed oil or do you use rubbing oil, or what do you like best. The steaming the dent's out thing, is a good trick, I'll give it a try in future.
              I would like to thank both you Pards for your addvice, I really appreciate it, I like to tinker with things, and sometimes I think I would be better off if just kept my hands in my pockets. ??? :-\ :-[ ;D

Shoot Straight

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER

Yes I use Homer Formby's ... but alcohol dye will also work

To steam the dent damping the area to be raised cover it with a wet terry towel and use the steam setting the dint will rise
you willl use 0000 steel wool to wisk the wood feathers to smooth, and add a touch of dye to blend and rub with 0000 and use Johnsons floor wax.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2007, 09:24:06 PM »
Thanks Major 2

I think I have it now, great addvice , I'll give the dent steaming a shot in the future, Formbys you say , I've used there products before, good stuff, but I have never used alcohol dye on wood I've used it on leather, is this the kind of dye your talking about, the only stain I have ever used on wood has been either oil or water based. I think Formbys is a tongue oil product, and it does work well as a finish, but I think they also have other oil treatments as well in there line. :-\ ???
                            TALK TO YOU LATER :)

TEN WOLVES FIVE SHOOTER ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com