Author Topic: main springs for 72's  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
main springs for 72's
« on: August 18, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »
Want to replace the stock main springs with wolf springs. Are the ones Brownells sells for the 73 uberti clones the proper fit?
Doc O

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1273
Re: main springs for 72's
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 10:17:50 PM »
Howdy Doc,
Yes, the mainspring in the OT is the same part as in the Model P.  The trigger/bolt spring is the same also, should you wish to change that as well, although I suggest the flat spring type as opposed to the wire-type spring.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1273
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 10:55:42 AM »
Howdy Seth,
the wire springs tend to be a little weaker and don't have the "snap" that the flat springs have, plus they tend to get a little weaker over time.  This can aggravate over-rotation problems with fast and hard cocking.  Duelist style shooters would be less likely to have problems than traditional style two handed shooters.  And while the Italian flat trigger/bolt springs are definitely the most likely item to break in any Italian gun, the aftermarket flat springs seem to be well made and reliable.

Having said that, my first (of four) 1851 Richards-Masons has a wire trigger/bolt spring that was made from piano wire by the late Bob Taylor which has never caused any timing problems and I shot that gun traditional style a lot.  But he might have made it from a stiffer wire than commercially available wire springs, I don't know.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:54:03 PM »

Offline Doc O

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 02:00:13 PM »
Thanks Abilene; I'll get them ordered. The wire springs, I tried them once in a pair of 73's, didn't work well at all. Doc O

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com