Author Topic: Re-Vamped 1874 Sharps  (Read 4918 times)

Offline Triggersmith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re-Vamped 1874 Sharps
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:13:41 PM »
I recently got a good buy on a Pedretti Hartford 1874 Sharps in 45LC.  Clean as a whistle.  I am in the process of turning it into a Gemmerized with Slotterbeck and Schuetzen influences.  I have the forearm piece about finished and will post some photos of my progress.
Thanks
Triggersmith
bluesman@acd.net
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
Re: Re-Vamped 1874 Sharps
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
I just saw the finished photos... When Ray posts these... OH BABY ! that's what I'm talkin a bout !  ;D

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1743
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 08:08:45 PM »
   Greetings,TS!

I'm sure fond of the "Gemmer" conversions, and you've done a great job! The Gemmer Spencer is my dream rifle, but ALL Gemmer/Hawken rifles have that unmistakable class to them.

!Bravo! & Be Well!

M.T.Marfield:.
                 7-19-07

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:09:22 PM »

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 12:04:39 AM »
I'm looking for a Single Shot rifle to complete(???) my arsenal again. I'm looking for a long range rifle in deference to a hunting rifle, but it will be used for both.

I used to own a Pedersoli Sharps that shot very well. I owned a Shiloh Farmington that shot ok, but leaded up a lot I think it was the long throated version but I cannot be for sure. I sold the Shiloh and kept the Pedersoli for a good length of time, but ended up selling that one too when finances got really tight and I had to sell off my stuff.

I am looking at a few Pedersoli's, a couple of their Sharps models and the other two are their Remy Rolling blocks. One is the Bodine model and the other is the RB. Both RB's have the 30" bbl.s, pistol grips stocks, and the Sharps have 32" and 34" bbls.

How do Armi Sport, Tristar and Pedretti stack up to the Pedersoli's. I'm tempted to go with an Armi Sport, but I know nothing of them as to form, fit function and how they shoot. the other two I have just seen on gunbroker and they appear to be a little on the slab sided,plain jane, but much cheaper.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 06:18:10 AM »
Charlie
I had similar experience with a Pedersoli , my 45/70 was a top drawer shooter, I still kick myself for selling it (same reason you give though)
I owned a Garrett in 54 percussion , I'd love to have back.
The Shiloh I had was a Burdan Model Military Rifle....I like the gun it shoot OK ,but it for the money was poor it & finish
The buttstock cracked and came apart at the wrist, there was weakness in the grain the in-letting & cross drilling weaken it further.
I was very distress , when I sent it to Shiloh ... they would not warranty it , they admitted it was a weak piece of wood,
and would send a new buttstock, but I would have to pay someone else to fit it,  they were TO backlogged they said.
I wound up paying shipping too.
I fit it myself , wasn't that much of job.. but I never forgave the poor Customer service for what was the most expensive gun I had ever bought back in the 80's.

When Ray was looking... to get another he asked about Tri Star , I told him they are an importer , the gun is an IAB.
Armi Sport makes a nice Sharps , though I have not shot one Bernie has ( I'd defer to his experience )
 Pedretti is a smaller maker , they are imported by EMF as the Hartford, the makers/smiths there are quite good and I believe they use a Pedersoli CNC receivers the barrels are German if it recall.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Triggersmith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 08:24:04 AM »
I have owned 2 Pedretti Sharps and both were chambered in 45LC.  The fit and finish was excellent and EMF told me they sent the Pedretti rifles to a gunsmith who in turn went over them and replaced any weak parts.  I talked to the gunsmith and he told me on the earlier ones they replace several parts because of softer metal.  The newer ones were very well put together.  He told me the Sharps I was buying was excellent.  I have had several conversations with Mauro Pedretti and he admitted the earlier guns had some weaknesses, but the newer ones were very good.  I agree.
I have seen but never shot a Pedersoli or Armi-Sport.  I don't shoot competition and can't afford an expensive Shiloh or others.  I  work on my own guns and if something isn't right I fix it.
I do like my Pedretti.  It's a tack driver, a real looker and didn't cost me an arm and a leg.  Nuff said.
Triggersmith
Watch yer topknot
Triggersmith
See my ads in Cas City Classifieds

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 02:41:42 PM »
On the difference between Pedersoli and Armi Sport rifles:

Pedersoli uses barrels with cut rifling. (The grooves are cut one at a time untill the required depth is achieved.)

Armi Sport uses barrels with button rifling.  (A hardended tool is forced through the barrel, "swaging" the grooves in place, this typically gives shallower groves than cut rifling.)

Personally, I'd prefer a barrel with cut rifling, provided it's done right.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 04:27:49 PM »
I saw on Cowboys last week that USFA uses the swaged rifling system on it's rifles, I don't know about the pistols but the rifle bbls sure are.
I'll go with cut rifling every time if I have a choice.

Thanks guys, I ended up buying a Pedersoli Rolling Block Creedmore in 45-70 that is said to be incredibly accurate out to 750 Yd.s and it has Lee shaver Soule sights on it. Got a great deal.

I used to own a Pedersoli Sharps and it indeed was very accurate. after I bought this new Pedersoli I went to the BPCR website and found this:

http://www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm

Now I know why they shoot like they do. One word....WOW!
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com