Author Topic: original style cleaning equipment  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Sixgun Bart

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
original style cleaning equipment
« on: July 09, 2007, 09:04:02 PM »
Does anyone make cleaning rods/accessories like the ones originally used for Colt Cap and Ball revolvers?

I have found very little info on these accessories on the net.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 478
Re: original style cleaning equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 09:59:54 PM »
Start with Dixie Gun Works. They have items, plus tools, etc. for filling in cased sets.

www.dixiegunworks.com
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Sixgun Bart

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 05:01:50 PM »
Start with Dixie Gun Works. They have items, plus tools, etc. for filling in cased sets.

www.dixiegunworks.com

I already dug through dixie gunworks - they did not have anything.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:42:38 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 06:55:38 PM »
Dixie Gun Works does sell a number of accouterments - nipple wrenches, screwdrivers, flasks - those things that were commonly a part of a cased revolver.

They - along with S&S Firearms - also sell some original Civil War era 'brush and thong' bore cleaning 'equipment', as used with the various carbines of the time.

As to cleaning rods - you have to go further down the trail, time-wise - and then you begin to encounter 'barracks rods' and buttstock rods that were used by the Frontier Army, though Henry and Winchester both had screw-together rods.

If it's a 'Gun Cleaning Kit' that you're after - those don't start being offered until the big mail order houses catalog them in the latter 1880's.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:54:48 PM »
Can you provide a detailed discription or provide a picture of what you have in mind or direct us to a picture in a reference book?

ie. are you referring to the wood handled rod with slit using flaw as a scrubbing material.  Or    Spiral bottle brush.  Or   Rod with finger loop on one end.

Also looking in the book COLT by RL Wilson, the cased/boxed guns after the Dragoon's (~1849 on) do not appear to have brushes or cleaning rods as part of the box.

Please provide some addition guidance.
Black River Smith

Offline Sixgun Bart

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 09:55:50 PM »
Can you provide a detailed discription or provide a picture of what you have in mind or direct us to a picture in a reference book?

ie. are you referring to the wood handled rod with slit using flaw as a scrubbing material.  Or    Spiral bottle brush.  Or   Rod with finger loop on one end.

Also looking in the book COLT by RL Wilson, the cased/boxed guns after the Dragoon's (~1849 on) do not appear to have brushes or cleaning rods as part of the box.

Please provide some addition guidance.

I dont really know what original cleaning equipment looked like. I did some web searched and did not find anything.

Barry

Offline Dan Topper

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »
There a couple of places I have found pictures of cleaning equipment.  Books by R. L. Wilson show cased sets of firearms (Steel Canvas in particular, but also Colt an American Legend) with all the necessary accessories.  In the recent auction catalog from Rock Island Arms a Colt Single Action Army (circa 1883) is pictured with the cardboard box and a bottle brush type cleaning tool.  The recent book on small frame conversions "Variations of Colt's New Model Police & Pocket Breech Loading Pistols" also has some cased sets with a steel cleaning tool.  These are similar to the ones sold at Midway and made by Dewey (these are brass) with a finger loop on one end and threaded on the other (item number 616-296 on page 240 of the Master Catalog, and not the ones with the plastic handles but the ones above those).  Hope this helps.

Topper

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com