Author Topic: Kirst 49 Colt .32 S&W conversion!  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Kirst 49 Colt .32 S&W conversion!
« on: July 08, 2007, 03:23:36 PM »
Just talked to Walt Kirst.  He is shelving the non-gated 1858 Remington Conversion and switching to gated only.  For those of you that do not want to cut the loading slot on your 1858s, the gated will still work just like the non-gated. Just take it in and out like the non-gated.

Here is the news you guys on STORM want, though! He is working on a 32 conversion for the 1849 Colt .31.  I have the prototype NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It has the slot, but can be used either with or without the loading channel cut in the frame.

Photos will be forthcoming <g>
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline HANCOCK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Kirst 49 Colt .32 S&W conversion!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 04:50:37 PM »
Lawman
Unless I'm missing something (probably), that kit has been around for a while . I have had  one installed on my Uberti 49 .31 . for about 2 1/2 years now. A friend cut the channel, and I have been loading a tiny amount of Trail Boss, over a Mag Tech lead bullet (.32 S&W short Win brass).It was kinda temperamental ,I had to order a new hand from VTI to make it work correctly.(I boogered up the first one). But now it works good with the exception of when the cylinder is full of 5 rounds, and you shoot the first one, the other one that is closest to the channel wants to jump out. This is because the cylinder always advances a little after the shot, and ends up between the next 2 shells.
I did come up with a highly technical fix for this though, I rest my thumb in the slot when shooting it. Kinda an awkward why to shoot, but for as much as I use it, it will work.
I believe that there was an article in one of the most recent Guns of the Old West, or maybe SHOOT, by Dennis Adler on these. He talked a little about the shell jumping problem also.

HANCOCK

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 05:31:01 PM »
My mistake. I probably mis-understood him.  He probably meant it was a new batch, and I not knowing they were being made assumed it was a new line.  He sent me his 1849 to try it on.  Haven't shot it yet, but soon!!!!  IU love his 45 Colt cylinder, though!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:12:13 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:33:15 PM »
The article was in GOTOW # 53 called a Kirst & Strite Pocket Conversion.

Adler mentions the kit as an alternative to the full zoot cased Gun , which is in the " grounds for divorce " if not "murder"  price range.  :'(
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 06:08:36 PM »
Unless the one Tuolumne got is gated.....  It could them be a new product.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com