Author Topic: My molasses is growin'!  (Read 3365 times)

44caliberkid

My molasses is growin'!
« on: July 07, 2007, 08:05:49 AM »
We had a bottle of Sorgum that we got in Kentucky at while we were at the NCOWS National last year (2006).  It's never been opened and the other day I noticed the molasses were seeping out.  My wife wiped off the bottle and set it by the sink and later some more was seeping out.  We left the lid loose and in about two hours the stuff was crawling out the mouth of the bottle like it was alive.   What's going on here?  Is it fermenting?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: My molasses is growin'!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »
I wouldn't think so, the sugar concentration should be to high to allow yeast or bacteria to grow.  If it is it should smell like alcohol.  Mine does that from time to time in the heat.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Singing Bear

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:15:49 PM »
We had a bottle of Sorgum that we got in Kentucky at while we were at the NCOWS National last year (2006).  It's never been opened and the other day I noticed the molasses were seeping out.  My wife wiped off the bottle and set it by the sink and later some more was seeping out.  We left the lid loose and in about two hours the stuff was crawling out the mouth of the bottle like it was alive.   What's going on here?  Is it fermenting?

Whoa.  Sounds like the beginning of some horror movie about some dark brown slime monster.   Somehow some alien DNA contaminated that bottle of molasses and it be growing.   :o :D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:22:33 PM »

Offline oscar

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 08:08:00 PM »
I ahev had the refind type from a large company via the grocery, never had any fresh till last fall. I want to make some cookies with it but don't have a good recipe.   

Oscar, :P
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com