Author Topic: Manhattan revolver  (Read 8448 times)

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Manhattan revolver
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:31:18 PM »
Howdy.

Over the weekend I picked up a little Manhattan revolver.  Its a 5 shot, .36 cal. with a 5 inch barrel, brass half-moon front sight and varnished wood grips on a brass grip frame.  The engraving is still clear on the cylinder, and "Manhattan Firearms Company, Newark NJ" on top of the barrel.  I'm hunting some info.

According to one website I looked at with a 1859 Manhattan for sale, they list a serial number range and refer to guns that fall in that range as "Series III Manhattans".  My gun would fall in this range, but I dont know what years the Series III guns were made, or what made them different from Series I or II, and if there were more (at least in the cap and ball, I know they made some rimfire guns in the 1860s).  Is there anywhere I can go to determine a manufacture date thats more precise than somewhere between 1857 and 1859?  Oh, and all the serial numbers do appear to match on the gun.

There are some repairs that have to be made.  Internally, are the guns the same as a Colt?  Will internals designed for a '51 Navy work in the Manhattan?  Also, the hammer is broken off at the top, where the rear sights would be.  I suppose I could make a Colt hammer fit, but is anyone making replacements for these?  Lastly, the shield ring behind the cylinder is broken and incomplete.  If no one makes replacements then I need to find a drawing or picture of one so I can see what it should look like and work on making one.  About half of the original is there (at least the screw that holds it in place is still there.  I can't imagine the nightmare of trying to track THAT down).

Any help yall can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks!

IBR

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Manhattan revolver
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:11:15 PM »
If it's a 5-shot, the 1862 Colt Pocket Police or Pocket Navy parts are more likely to fit than the 51 Navy, which is a 6-shot frame.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:49:25 PM »
I think you're right.  One of my several searches turned up a few parts at DGW that mention ".36 Manhattan" in the list of guns they fit.  Almost all of those parts include the guns you mentioned in their list as well.  Ah well.  At least I know I can get the new hand spring there.  I could have just made one but knowing someone has one that will fit is easier.  That still does nothing for my major parts needs though.  I'll have to look at the Colt hammer and see how much work I'd have to do to make it fit the Manhattan.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:49:19 AM »

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:36:58 PM »
Call Dixie.

They may have some Manhattan parts that are too few to advertise.

As to your hammer - you may find it's easier to weld it up and file everything back to the original contours and facing.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:49:54 AM »
Call Dixie.

They may have some Manhattan parts that are too few to advertise.

As to your hammer - you may find it's easier to weld it up and file everything back to the original contours and facing.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Sir, you never saw my welding!  :)  I can manage well enough on farm tools or something where looks dont matter so much and you can slop lots of paint over it, but I wouldnt dare put something as ugly as one of my welding jobs on a gun.  I might see if someone else can do so though. 

I dont suppose you know if the ring behind the cylinder is supposed to go all the way round, following the contours of the capping groove on the side, or if it is a C shape instead?  That ring is really what makes a Manhattan special. 

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:16:34 PM »
That support ring surrounds the rachet extension of the cylinder, the internal shape must be cylindrical.  It is interrupted by the hammer port and a bit by the capping port.  The rachet teeth of a gated conversion, as it's cut much deeper, can be seen from the port.  I haven't looked at a Manhattan, but the breech can't be a lot different than the Colt, I wouldn't think.

The cylinder suppport ring is not as substantial on the pocket pistol frame as it is on the full size Navy frame.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline I Ben Robbed

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 11:18:30 PM »
Looking closely at what remains of the ring, it exactly matches the contour of the bottom of the capping port on the right side, and ends there (on the bottom).  The top part looks like it originally went OVER the top of the hammer when it is all the way down, with a cutout for the hammer to fall through, and continued on until it reaches the top of the capping port.  The ring itself rests inside a groove that goes all the way around the back face behind the cylinder except where the capping port is.  There is no groove at all there.  Given the odd angle at which the bottom of the ring is cut to match the curve of the capping port there, and the lack of any groove going around it, I can only assume the ring never extended through the capping port area on this little pistol.

Offline The Avocado Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »
You could try  S&S firearms on the east coast.... big gun parts dealer......here's the web address......http://www.snsfirearms.com/ hope this helps, Dusty.
"Holy smokes thats a lot of Indians!!".....General George Armstrong Custer 7th Cavalry

Offline Quincy1

• HMFIC
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 09:17:14 PM »
found this here:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=75120865

====================================================

This is a Manhattan Navy series 3 revolver with 4 inch barrel. Metal has a smooth brown patina with a trace of blue. Newark N.J. address sharp on barrel. Cylinder scene is is very good. The gun cocks and indexs and locks. Wood grips has about 80% of original varnish but they do have a few ding and dents. The grips have no chips or cracks. Antique so no FFL needed. Can be shipped direct to you. Shipping and handling is $25.00 US and $50.00 internationally
=====================================================

Perhaps this may help
also look around here from time to time:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4RNWN_enUS217US218&q=Manhattan+revolver

Quincy1
Hello From Beautiful Downtown Belmont
Where the Trailel Park Meets the Freeway!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com