Author Topic: ASM Schofields  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Texas John Critter

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ASM Schofields
« on: June 23, 2007, 03:16:58 PM »
I know that these have a reputation for being junk.  I know that going into this.  I have opportunity to purchase one very very cheap.  Gun work doesn't frighten me at all, I have been working at it since I was 17.  My question is, can they be made to function well?  I want to try a S&W and I'm not going to find one cheaper than this to try out.
Thanks pards,
Critter
He any good?
He's killed more people than smallpox!
Well hell, introduce us.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: ASM Schofields
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:20:46 PM »
You're not going to like this. All had latch spring trouble which can be fixed. The two I owned had cylinders that were misaligned, i.e., drilled off center, and "spit" lead so bad you had to wear a welder's mask to shoot 'em. This cannot be corrected unless a COMPETENT gunsmith welds up the bolt notches & recuts them, and this is only IF the holes are off center proprtionately. EXPENSIVE. As a final note, because of their crappy reputation few if any gunsmiths will touch one. To quote the Reverend in "Blazing Saddles"...."you're on your own!"  ;D ;)

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 05:13:16 PM »
On my own is the way I prefer it quite frankly. ;D  This gun has been shot by the owner and has the dreaded latch problem.  I can fix that.  I will take my .45 range rod with me to check chamber alignment.  Thanks for the heads up Kid.
He any good?
Well hell, introduce us.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:40:28 PM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:08:15 AM »
David Chicoine's book on "Sixguns of the Old West Smith & Wesson" gives a good illustrated account of the modifications you have to make to keep the ASM latch closed. The latch mods are on page 304.  A Troubleshooting chart is on page 344.  He also has charts on interchangability between S&W and Clone parts.

David discusses basically all the S&W topbreaks and clones, with dimensions for many parts if you need to make some.  The book is invaluable.  Not cheap, ($75) but a must if you are going to dig into something like an ASM.

He has several other very good books on the Guns of the Old West and Guns of the New West, but the above book is what you want for details.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/002-8346374-3000011?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=David+Chicoine&Go.x=9&Go.y=9
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 07:25:06 PM »
I agree with Flint.  The Chicoine book is a must own for anyone wishing to work on Smiths.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:50 AM »
After much study and consideration I have decided to skip the headache and just buy a Uberti.  I have however ordered David Chicoine's book so as to be prepared.  Now I have to save a few more pennies and locate the one I want.  Thank you all for the advise.
He any good?
Well hell, introduce us.

Offline Max Doolin

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:44:35 PM »
Just got here an seen this post.....I've got a pair and they needed some work but they are workig pretty good so far gonna give em a go theis weekend
I load 777 and they run ok with that so I can smoke it up. So ah how cheap is cheap ?

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 06:54:22 AM »
After much study and consideration I have decided to skip the headache and just buy a Uberti.  I have however ordered David Chicoine's book so as to be prepared.  Now I have to save a few more pennies and locate the one I want.  Thank you all for the advise.

You wont be dissapointed with the Uberti.  I just got 2 Schofields and they are beautiful.  I will shoot them at the next local NCOWS match.

Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com