Author Topic: Buffalo Hunter's Camp Lighting, Redux  (Read 77046 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Buffalo Hunter's Camp Lighting, Redux
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 11:56:56 AM »
Ya know this lady might be able to help them with their fire. ;)

I've got some books on trail cooking that tell the flustrations of cooking with chips and how many it took, if I get some energy up in the next couple of days I'll do some searching, if I remember right they say about a bushel to bake a dutch oven full of bread and any even light drizzle puts a damper on things.

BTW this is scanned out of one of my books, if anyone knows of a better copy on-line I like to know.  It is in the KSHS collection and I don't think they have it on-line.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 12:12:57 PM »
Well, it's never too early to start campaigning, this is an election year & time to bring back my poster from '04:

Re-Elect Senator George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

He Knows the Difference...
   ;D
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
George, that looks a bit wet to be burnin', even with all that oil based shoe polish.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:54:31 PM »

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 03:16:10 PM »
You know I think that the willingness of a women to haul your s#$* around for you was lost in the last generation! ;D
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline French Jack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 07:14:54 PM »
Now they just kick it outta you.
French Jack

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 10:04:32 PM »
While reading journals from travelers on the Santa Fe trail,  There were numerous accounts of having to cook with chips and descriptions of the large quantities needed to accomplish actual cooking.  I sure appreciate being able to turn a knob and have that nice gas flame appear, ready at a moments notice.  The 19th Century is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!! :o ::) ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 10:11:51 PM »
A wheel barrow full of good ash or elm ain't bad either, compared to what it takes in chips.  Of course on the trail one might not have much choice because of distance from a wooded stream or the wood you don't have because the folks ahead of you used it, same with cattels drives.

Buffalo hunters,now I would think most of them would have made camp near a stream for shelter and wood, plus water.  Read the accounts of the days before and after the Battle of Adobe Walls, they mention this or that hunter found dead, scalped and mutilated, most often they mention on which creek. ;)  Now I can't say for sure, but I would think they camped near a stream for a reason. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2007, 09:41:40 PM »
  Howdy Pards!

While we can debate or question the attribution of "1880" or so, in the this Boulder Canyon, Colorado image of a hunters' camp- there appears to be some sort of lighting device on the back of the wagon?  It is a scaned image from a book with poor resolution, but when it is enlarged, it kinda/sorta looks like a lantern missing its glass, or a single "candleabra' type affair??

Mick Archer
Mick Archer and his evil twin brother Faux Cowchild

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »
Mick,
I blew it up in photo shop,....and.....I think you are right, it looks like a candle holder/candelabra with some sort of handle on it. Wish we had a better photo of it...does it give any references in the back of the book as to where the photo is stored? What is the name of the book?

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2007, 03:09:53 PM »
  Howdy Pards!

It is from page 239 of  Louis A. Garavaglia & Charles G. Worman's FIREARMS OF THE AMERICAN WEST 1866-1894.

Unfortunately, they only credit the picture to a Malcom Collier, with no further reference or citation.

Mick Archer

(Wondering what type of hunting the reclining man in the middle of the photo was doing with that sawed-off shotgun....  ;-)  )

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »
1880 in Boulder Canyon Colarado would not be comercial Buffalo Hunters anyway, about the only of that left would have been up in Montana. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Mick Archer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
   Howdy Pards!

They could have been hunting Naughas, or Jackalopes.

Faux Cowchild

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 08:27:32 PM »
  Howdy Pards!

It is from page 239 of  Louis A. Garavaglia & Charles G. Worman's FIREARMS OF THE AMERICAN WEST 1866-1894.

Unfortunately, they only credit the picture to a Malcom Collier, with no further reference or citation.

Mick Archer

(Wondering what type of hunting the reclining man in the middle of the photo was doing with that sawed-off shotgun....  ;-)  )

Awww... that's just "fer snakes 'n' such." ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2007, 03:38:30 PM »

I have been reading excerps from a book entitled Buffalo Harvest.  I was hoping to find some insight into camp equipemnt.  And then I found the following quote.

"No use to describe camp equipment. We took along the usual things, bedrolls, tents, cooking utensils." :(

Oh well.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2007, 04:04:48 PM »
Books,

Feel GOOD!  Documentation for TENTS!! ;D
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »
Books,

Feel GOOD!  Documentation for TENTS!! ;D

And cooking utensils. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline James Hunt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »
Yeah, I came across that quote - I believe he then goes on to itemize a few things but it almost makes you want'a cry since he is saying that this is so common that no one would ever value me writing it down. This thread of "so common it is not worth recording" runs through history and is the bane of anyone trying to research such common things. Also makes discovery all that more interesting.
NCOWS, CMSA, NRA
"The duty is ours, the results are God's." (John Quincy Adams)

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 09:24:36 AM »
All,

I found something, not much but something. Here is the information I have so far regarding lighting in buffalo camps, plus a few other observations in general. Certainly this is not the end-all and further research will uncover more useful data, and I am sure there were variations between camps and even between regions/herds, but the below can provide some insights.

Getting a Stand by Miles Gilbert, pg 82 (info from W. Skelton Glenn)
“As the tallow [buffalo] was of an oily nature, it was equal to butter; it was used for lubricating our guns and we loaded our own shells, each shell had to be lubricated and it was used also for greasing wagons and also for lights in camp.”

How, exactly, buffalo tallow was employed in lighting is open to some conjecture regarding the method. Based on the above it follows that some form of betty lamp was employed, with a simple wick or piece of string off the edge of the vessel wicking the tallow out while burning. If not employing an outright ‘betty lamp’ then perhaps some facsimile of one was fashioned from a metal plate or some type of metal bowl, or perhaps a cut down tinned can, etc. This remains an open question.

Regarding the ‘need’ for light at night, it’s worth noting some implied information from the above and below as well as and other sources. The first thing to assume is that each hunter made his own bullets per the above, thus needing some form of light – I forward it was daylight and that is adressed a bit farther down in this post. However, when out a-hunting the buffalo hunters and skinners seemed to come back to camp after dark especially if they were successful in their business. So, with the exception of making cartridges, how did these guys function when generally ‘going to work’ before or at dawn and coming home after dark? One must look at the composition of buffalo camp personnel to get the gist of this. There were the hunter/s (shooters) of the buffalo and support staff, skinners/wagon guys and a fellow called a camp ‘rustler’. The hunter/s and skinners would go about during the daylight hours (out before dawn and come back after dark per the below). What is interesting is that, arguably, the need for light in camp was not critical for getting mundane, workaday things done as the ‘camp rustler’ was the camp’s cook, keeper and administrator. Here is a good reference on that point:

Getting a Stand by Miles Gilbert, pages 84 & 85 (info from W. Skelton Glenn)
pg 84 “There was also a camp rustler to each camp, and his business was to watch the camp and look after everything about the camp, and prepare the meals, early and late.”
pg 85 “He [camp rustler] also had to run bullets and look after the meat and tallow for the camp. As he did not get but one meal a day in daylight, he had a pot full of boiled tongues also extra bread cooked for the men’s lunch, for if buffalo were plentiful, they never got in until dark and after, and often two or three hours later in the night.”

There are interesting details of daily life of the hunters and their crews as stated by a couple of contemporaries, Geo. W. Brown and Henry H. Raymond (as detailed in various instances in Getting a Stand by Miles Gilbert), that mention sometimes frequent ‘down time’ for hunters for various reasons, from days when buffalo were thin and even including other part-time work they did for others. There seems to have been enough such time that allowed for hunters to take the equivalent of a day/s off. This inconsistent hunting schedule would imply that there was time in their schedule to load cartridges were daylight, not by the fire at night as these guys were not hunting seven days per week. Of course this supposition needs more research but from what I can see so far it is a very supportable argument based on cursory reading from several sources. Certainly interesting and supports negation of the need for light at night, and therefore of the ‘need’ for night time lighting at all as far reloading cartridges is considered.

So, that’s my contribution to camp lighting so far. I think that back in the day lighting at night might not have been too necessary to begin with and when it was required, the use of buffalo tallow (though not details on how it was used regarding lighting vessel type) is documentable per the above. My take on this is that the buffalo Camp of Mr Hunt and I will use only tallow lighting, and until further information becomes available will not use lanterns or candles. So at least next time we set up we can have some sort of light in camp as opposed to Hooten where, due to lack of documentation at that point, there was no light at night.

YMH&OS,

‘Monterrey’ J. Brass
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2007, 10:34:15 AM »
All - Please note something that Mr Hunt had posted on a different forum after Hooten regarding using tallow as lighting by employing a plate as an ad-hoc betty lamp. Very good information, a great discovery and deserves to be posted here too.

<recent post from James Hunt follows>
Well, better late than never. I finally found a reference to a hunter writing a letter by light of burning buffalo tallow. On page 28 in the book Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners, P.C. Bicknell is writing a letter to 'Dave' Saturday December 30, 1876, while hunting buffalo in Texas. Bicknell is staying behind at the camp when he writes his letter. At the end he states "I have written this letter by the light of a piece of cotton cord hanging out of a plate filled with buffalo tallow." Notice he doesn't say a 'lamp' but a plate filled with buffalo tallow.

YMH&OS,

MJB
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2007, 11:08:31 AM »
Monterrey....

Do you suppose the "running bullets" means casting the lead bullet, or actually making the complete cartridge? You would think that unless the Hunter/Shooter has complete trust in the individual he would want to make his own cartridges....

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com