Author Topic: *** REPOSTING *** "Those Damned Michigan Spencers" by Wiley Sword  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS,

Normally, when I reproduce a Spencer article I try to scan it from the original book, or magazine, where it appeared in print.  This article, "Those Damned Michigan Spencers", by Wiley Sword, appeared in Man At Arms magazine, Number Five, 1997. A long time ago, I received a copy of the original article, and a copy does not reproduce very well.  

Just this past week, I was able to locate the original magazine on eBay thanks to new SSS member Shamrock John and have re-scanned this particular article.  It is now complete and I hope you will enjoy the re-read!.  

For an easier read, right click on the page, if you want to print that page out.

This is an excellent article about Spencers used in battle during the Civil War.  Hope you enjoy reading it.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: *** REPOSTING *** "Those Damned Michigan Spencers" by Wiley Sword
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 01:29:43 PM »
Hello SSS,

REPOSTING of a fine article and I hope as a better scan than before!

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline shamrock john

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 05:29:25 PM »
Much clearer. Glad you were able to use it. There is an other copy listed on ebay now. Thanks, John

Advertising

Offline Thefergs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 11:20:06 AM »
I'll be printing and reading this one just gave a quick scan on the phone and it's tough to see roll and zoom haha

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 04:44:08 AM »
Thanks, Two Flints:

Appreciate your dedication.  It matters a lot.

Hope you're well.  We care.

El Supremo
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
Thanks, Two Flints! Fascinating reading. I have not been able to get my confuser to print the article, but have taken the time to read it over in detail. One interesting thing, NOT related to the Michigan brigade, but definitely related to the Spencer M1860 rifle, is the post-War use of the rifles in the Indian Wars. Only one mounted infantry regiment west of the Mississippi was armed with Spencer rifles: the 3rd Infantry. They were mounted, but still listed as infantry. Adjutant of the 3rd Infantry was none other than Lt. Fred H. Beecher.  Before he was KIA at the Beecher Island battle, where he had been second-in-command of Forsyth's Scouts. This unit was composed of civilian scouts, technically employees of the Quartermaster Dept., under the command of Maj. George "Sandy" Forsyth.
It is often stated that the scouts were armed with Spencer carbines, but since the scouts were organized at two posts, Ft. Hayes and Ft. Harker, where both 3rd Infantry and 7th Cavalry companies were stationed at various times, and since George Forsyth's narrative of the battle a half-century later called the Spencers "rifles", were these, in fact, M1860 rifles "with triangular bayonet" which Ordnance returns stated were issued to the 3rd Infantry that Beecher issued out of 3rd Inf. stores?  The 7th Cav. companies were variously issued M1860 carbines and M1865 Spencer carbines. How they worked the ammo logistics would be an interesting topic for discussion, since the M1860's, chambered for .56-56 ammo could chamber and fire .56-50 rounds, though possibly with less than great accuracy, but not visa versa. The rifles, of course, could also use either. I have pondered this question for years, but have never been able to come to a definite conclusion.

Again, thanks for the article!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com