Author Topic: I think I really like the Open Tops  (Read 23031 times)

Offline bobwill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I think I really like the Open Tops
« on: May 15, 2007, 02:41:16 PM »
Hi everybody!
About 2 months ago, I bought a lever action rifle in .357.  Since then, I've been thinking that I need to buy a revolver to go with it.  And, I've really thought about buying a New Vaquero, Gaucho, and Stampede.  Then, I saw the Cartridge Conversions and 1871/1872 Colts on Uberti's website.
At first I thought that they were just funny looking, now they've really started to grow on me, and I think that one of those might be my next purchase.
I even ordered the book Metallic Cartridge Conversions this morning.

I think that the New Vaquero would probably have the fewest problems, but man would the Cimarron Navy Conversion in .38 special with a 7.5" barrel turn quite a few heads at the pistol range. :)

Basically, my biggest concerns with these guns is the durability, and reliability.  In some ways I think that the occassional tinkering to keep the gun running just adds to the charm, on the other hand, it could become rather tedious rather quickly if it needs constant attention, or is defective from the factory.

Also, I'm curious as to what you think about firing .38 specials with typical factory loads, I don't reload, nor do I really want to spend 2x the amount of money to get cowboy loads rather than just the .38 special that I can get from Bass Pro or Walmart.

Well, at some point, I'll have to get back out to Atlantic Guns and actually see some in person.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
Re: I think I really like the Open Tops
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
Not a lot of 'tinkering' to be done. The frame,barrel,wedge was a long running technology. I perfer OT's over any revolvers. In the actual test done by Colt when considering the  'peacemaker',,the .72Open Top performed more accurately. Colt just opted for a top strap gun.

I love a '60Army percussion,,heck,,aint no OT's I dont like.

Any dollars I spend in the future will most assurdly be on an open top ...of some formatte.

God, I love them guns.

Marshal Deadwood

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 04:39:27 PM »
Opentops are pretty tough, they are so much better made, and harder of steel than the cap & ball it's hard to believe the same company made them.

They need a touch of tuning, most any new gun does.  I installed Wolff springs and blunted the needle nosed firing pin a bit.  A neat thing about the opentop, if you can spare the extra cash, is the ability to fit extra cylinders and barrels to change caliber and/or barrel length.  Mine are now set up for 38LC/38Special, 44Russian/Colt/Special and 45 Schofield, and have 5-1/2 and 7-1/2  inch barrels..
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:17:22 PM »

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 04:23:01 AM »
I shoot a 72/.38, the action needed a little cleaning up and the fireing pin was a little too sharp but after that was done, not one problem in many rounds fired.  If you don't reload them just find some comercial reloads that are lead and on the light side.  The sights require either good eyes or glasses but they point more naturally than most other guns and for CAS type shooting they are hard to beat.  And, they look better than any Ruger you will ever find...LOL

Doug

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:11:59 AM »
I have a Cimarron (Uberti) open top in 38sp/38 long colt and I love it.  After a defective spring was replaced by Cimarron  the gun works really well.  It is the smoothest action of any of my replica colts including my USFAs.   I highly recommend the open tops.  I actually think they are the most beautiful of the single action replicas.  Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »
 Yep teeny weeny rear sights.............  Point and squeeze
Mathew 5.9

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
The rear sight may be tiny, but the gun points as naturally as a 51 Navy (which has an even smaller rear sight).  The 51 Navy is probably the best natural pointer ever made.  Given that your hands are already used to shooting the SAA Colt, the only thing you need to see is the front sight on the steel, it will hit.

If your concern is the price of factory ammo, you should reload, if you shoot enough to warrant it.  Of course, as many shooters have found, reloading causes one to shoot more, much more, so the cost does not balance completely, but gives you the opportunity to customize your loads, and an excuse to spend more time in the shop, and on the range......
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »

I just had a brandy damn new consecutive numbered set of Open Tops in the shop for basic TLC.  Uberti has widened the rear sight quite a bit.  While still a tad small, a much better rear sight.  Both frames were also drilled and tapped for spring a plunger hand springs.  Very nice guns.  Wish there had been mine.  turkey didn't want to sell 'em neither!!!

Coffinmaker

Offline bobwill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 11:22:10 PM »
Well, I had pretty much convinced myself that I should go with the Ruger, since they're built like tanks and can be found in my area for around $500.
Then, I decided to trek back on up to Atlantic Guns, and they had a few open tops, and conversions, none in .38 though. :(  I have to say, I really like the Navy Conversion!
They told me to call them on Monday so that they can see if they can get one in .38 from Cimarron.
So, I'm back to needing to decide between the Conversion or the Ruger.  I think that the Conversion would be fun to take to the pistol range, it should turn more heads than the Ruger. :)

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »
Bob,  To me it really all depends on what you like and what you are going to use the gun for.  If you want a main match gun then alot of people love Rugers since they are built "like tanks",  but if you are going for historically correct and style, then the open top would be better IMHO.  If I were going to get more open tops (and I may), then I would go with the 44 colt.  I am still waiting for my 1860 army conversion to come in.  If you do go with the 38 special, you can also shoot 38 long colt which is a period correct caliber.  Safe shooting. Deadeye.

Offline bobwill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »
Yeah, well, you see there, I don't actually do cowboy action shooting.  :D
I won't rule it out as a potential hobby; but, I just collect and occasionally shoot.  It just happens that I'm on a western kick right now.  Heck, in the past 3 months I have watched Open Range, Tombstone, Unforgiven, and Quigley Down Under for the first time.  So, the R-M conversion should hold up to what I would probably put it through pretty well.

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 07:34:07 AM »
Yeah, well, you see there, I don't actually do cowboy action shooting. 

I think you will be  very happy with the RM conversion then.  Collecting historically accurate weapons from the westward expansion years is actually how I got started too.  For me it was a natural progression to joining NCOWS and then a local posse.  Now I have the clothes, the guns and the posse and I am a happy camper. By the way all of those movies you mentioned are among my favorites.   Safe shooting.  Deadeye.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 07:46:12 AM »
Bob...
I have one Colt bought in 1978 converted to 45 w/ an R&D conversion... not to mention the other Conversions & OT's I own.
I've owned Vaquero's, plain as vanilla ice cream (good, but plain) I sold mine, not say never, I may one day get a Montado...

one picture say's it for me ... 9 Oclock is the 30 year old Colt and 3 Oclock is a Original 1860 circa 1862 still shoot like a house a fire it's a tank of different era/color...

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline bobwill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »
I'm really thinking about the Cimarron Richards-Mason Navy Conversion with at a 7.5" .38 caliber barrel.
My book Metallic Cartridge Conversions should be in in the next few days.
I like the look of the Richards-Mason loading gate, rather than the later open top, and I like the navy grips better than the army.
My only real cause for concern at this point are the sights.  I'm not sure about having a brass post, and notch in the hammer.
Also, I'm not too sure about what the weight of the .38 will be like, as the only ones Atlantic Guns had were in .44 - .45 caliber.

I've been looking at all of the information I can find, which is really lacking on the internet, hence ordering the book; but, I've looked at the manuals on Cimarron's website, and found a review on Gun Blast, and I think that maintaining a Navy Conversion shouldn't be any real problem now that I understand what people are talking about when mentioning a wedge pin.  In fact, doing things pretty much like what they did in the 1870s is kind of neat.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 02:38:10 PM »
MCC by Dennis Adler is one sweet read...
be warned though that book with turn your passion from ..." I think I really like the Open Tops "

to ... like peanut nuts you can't have just one....  both then so will your new gun

To answer your question the 38 will be a bit more barrel heavy than the 44-45 pilled guns in the 7 1/2 length...
but only noticed if you have one of each in both hands. My friend has the 38's and If  I use both I can feel the difference.
But the felt recoil is almost non- existent with 38 Special.
Next, as to sights... the guns point so well that at CAS distance I just point and shoot My two Type I's shoot so close to aim it's a crime... and the Old 2 gen Colt (30 year gun) ... shoots better with the R&D 45 Cyl. than it does with the C&B cyl ( 5 shots inside 1 1/2 " @ 7 yards with Black Hills Schofields ) prints  just 2'' down an slightly left of dead center...
The same gun shoots 3'' high with the C&B & roundball  & 20 grains of Goex....
all from a padded arm rest 2 @ at 7 yards...
I think I pull it slightly to the left as I squeeze off the shots , because the two Type I's are  toward the 8 oclock position of dead center Point of aim. I must be the way I grip the Army Grip.

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
I shot my 35 year old 2nd gen '51 yesterday. it or i could do no wrong. I just sighted one handed like a shotgun(bead on the target) and cleaned my first stage and did a personal best of 30 Seconds(10 pistol targets only). My second gun was a '51 Navy Pietta. It did well too. No caps trapped. No cleaning. shot 4 stages without cleaning. I did lube with Olive oil first and used Bore Butter over the ball on each chamber. My first Frontier shoot this year.
I'm in trouble...My remys are whining that I didn't use them yesterday and I'm looking for another 2nd Gen to complete the pair of '51 Navy's.

Major2,
I read on the "Is it a Reeel Colt Posts that someone you kow has a 4 digit 2nd Gen '51 Navy for sale, I think this was back on Jan.10,  but I just read it yesterday or Sat. I think is is out of my price range too, but, one never knows. It is 18X numbers newer than mine and I guesstimate that mine was built in 1972. I'd love to find one with a S/n on either side of mine, but I know that is impossible to even think about.
But I do prefer a 4 digit 2nd Gen. If that is a going price for a 4 digit 2nd gen, then I stole mine. It didn't have the box or papers but was in unturned and unfired condition.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 03:12:31 PM »
hmmm... I know of two and neither are for sale.... Bob Mc ( your saddle deal )  and Steve's
You've seen mine and I not selling either.... ;)

What is the brand of Olive oil your using ? ( will extra virgin work ) I made the same mistake you did and the canola/olive mix  gummed up....

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 03:29:40 PM »
This is the post from Darksider's Den Is it a REEEEL Colt on Jan 10th. 2006

Quote from: Major 2 on January 10, 2006, 02:42:11 PM

in a word ?...... yep !
that's about $256 - $300 over the top....

Now, I don't know how plentiful (third Gen.'s) they are in the UK, but you find then here for $400-450 and you might still haggle them down.

I see Second Gen's in the range your talking , in fact, I know of an early to mid 70's
  Colt "C" Series Navy model .36 caliber, silver backstrap and square back trigger guard. "C" series Royal Blue barrel and cylinder, color case hardened frame, loading lever, plunger, and hammer, silver plated brass backstrap and square back trigger guard. The serial number is 8308. The revolver comes with the original box and papers, as well as the original wrapping paper. This is a low serial numbered revolver of the first re-introduction cap-n-ball Colt, and seldom seen with the original box. Of course, the revolver is unfired. Due to the age of the revolver the silver is tarnished, due to the thin silver coating we have made no effort to polish the silver.
$889.00.

I like that little 1862 Pocket though...

OOPS id idn't see the 2006 post date. It's probably long gone now. sorry. Red faced HCC...LOL

It long gone by now i'll bet.

I usually buy the cheapest Virgin Olive Oil I can find, but the little bottle I have now is Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I like the little bottles, they fit in the shooting kit really well and it's always there if I need it.
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 03:37:02 PM »
OH!  that one... that was at my FFL's,  yep long gone ..
the quote was cut and pasted from his site.

I eyeball it but didn't have the scrounge..... :-[

Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil it is,  then ( stupid question though,.. does it need to be refrigrated once opened to keep ? )

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 05:08:02 PM »
Refridgerate after opening???
I never have it that long. I just cap it tightly.
I have never seen it go bad...Taste maybe, but I don't cook with the stuff I use for the guns, but I have never heard of refridgerating Olive oil after opening. Doesn't say anything about it on the bottle either.

Darn, I knew that gun was long gone. and it was 183 numbers from mine. Oh well I'll keep looking. I may have to by a low 5 digit until I find a 4 digit one.

Your FFL? that be  BB's ?
SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com