Author Topic: Need information, Looking at a new Schofield....  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need information, Looking at a new Schofield....
« on: May 05, 2007, 11:11:13 PM »
I am looking at a Smith and Wesson Schofield that was made in 2000,,,,NIB from the Smith performance shop.

Question....When the hammer is fully forward, with the firing pin pressed to the chamber head,,,,the cylinder is latched...but,,when the hammer is pulled rearward to the first knotch...that allows the firing pin to move backwards from the cylinder chamber head....the cylinder can free wheel. Then the next notch is full cock and the cylinder then is latched back without free spin.

Is that normal for the cylinder to free roll when the hammer is pulled back to the first knotch ?
The first knoch also seems to be what one might call,,,'half cock' ??

I dont know if I explained this good enough or not...but say,,were one to,,and I wouldnt,,but were one to load all six chambers,,pull the hammer baack to the first notch,,the cylinder will then free roll. Is that normal for a Schofield ?

Having never handled a Schofield this is unusual to me. Just wondering if this is normal. The gun is unfired,,,NIB....and I just want to know if this is a defect or is normal.

Id appreciate information folks.

Thank you very much.

Marshal Deadwood

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need information, Looking at a new Schofield....
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 12:24:38 AM »
That's the way the break-top S&W works.  That's also why you only load 5 in the cylinder, because if you leave it in the first notch the cylinder can roll and you lose your index.  With the hammer down on an empty chamber the cylinder is locked, as it is at full cock.

The purpose of the first notch is NOT as safety, it is used to disengage the hammer from the latch (the hammer helps hold the latch closed) so the latch can be pulled back, allowing the barrel assembly to pivot for loading/unloading.

With the bolt disengaged during the loading cycle, the cylinder is free to turn, as it is when the gun is open, and if the bolt were up, it would interfere with re-indexing the cylinder upon closing, and cause (even more) drag marks on the cylinder.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 02:21:59 AM »
Flint...Thank you.   I never, never have the hammer over a live round in carry.  Thank you for your concern though.  I was fairly sure this was the nature of the Schofield,,but never have handled one, I just wanted to make sure this was correct and not a mechanical flaw.

Side note....I dont think I have every handled a revolver that felt more a part of my hand.  The revolver has been here with me today for safe keeping till the deal is cement...and iv had full chance to enjoy handling it.  I am totally impressed.

Marshal Deadwood

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:38:00 PM »

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 12:08:13 PM »
Hope the gun works well for you, I have Navy Arms and Uberti Schofields and Russians, and I like the Schofield better as a shooter, as it has a more comfortable grip.

The hammer locks the latch on the Schofields similar to a Rolling Block Remington breech, and the Russian (and other Model #3's) barrel mounted latch have a notch in the hammer to lock the latch.  This is one reason the mainspring is so strong on a break-top Smith, and if you think the Uberti's is strong, try an original.  Too light a mainspring can weaken the hammer pressure enough to bounce and allow the gun to shoot open.

The heavy mainspring makes getting a light trigger pull more difficult, but the gun stays closed.  Shooting open was one of the main problems with the defunct Cimarron/ASM Schofields, and Uberti managed to do a better job on keeping them closed.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com