Author Topic: Quick and dirty buiscuts  (Read 4068 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Quick and dirty buiscuts
« on: April 22, 2007, 07:05:28 AM »
Sorry if this has been coverd, but what the easiest way to make buiscuts in a cast skillet? And what ingredients do you need? Thanks

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Quick and dirty buiscuts
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »
Do you mean bake them in an oven in a skillet, do you mean in a dutch oven, or what exactly?
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline creek johnson

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 12:06:38 PM »
Years ago (about 50) my buddy and I used to do alot of fishing in the Sierras and we just used a skillet and canned biscuits. Put em in the skillet with some sort of lid, low heat, keep an eye on em and turn over when brown. If ya gotta have em dirty just drop on the ground before ya cook em. This is about as quick and dirty as you can get.
Now being older and wiser, I don't eat canned anymore, I make very good scratch biscuits.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:20:11 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 12:28:18 PM »
I've also seen where folks pre-heat a skillet and put the bisquits in it and prop it up near the fire and let the radiant heat of it cook them.  Never tried it, I'm sure it would work or it wouldn't be in all those old time camping books.  Might try it next outing to say I've done it,

Here is what I do for bisquits, In camp most times I double it and use a can of canned cow.

Homemade biscuits take only about 3-4 minutes more than tube type and can be frozen and micro-waved.  (Yes I keep some in the freezer for emergencies.)

Basic Backing Powder Biscuits

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 teaspoon salt

Mix well

Cut in 1/4 cup lard or 1/3 cup shortening

I just cut it in by working in with my hands till there are no clumps of the lard.  (Note the reason it takes more shortening is that lard works better and since the are almost equal in good/bad co-lester-all, you are better off with lard for baking)

3/4 cup of milk

Mix in and knead just enough to make a sticky dough.  Pat or roll to about 1/2 thick and cut with a biscuit cutter, empty can or just pinch off and make them by hand.  Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.  Makes 18 two inch biscuits.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Marshal'ette Halloway

• The Marshal's Boss & Head Rebel Rowser
  • Peace Officer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither work
    • The Perfect Touch
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 11:30:06 PM »
Hey Del?
 I know how to "make " them.. but how do you bake them in a dutch oven on a campfire.or a skillet...
 Coals on the top or none on the top?
real hot coals or just a bit.
 I know I know.. questions questions questions.. but I need to know. :-*
SASS #56524, BCVC #26

The smell of heaven is Fresh Baked Bread and Gun Powder.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »
The reflector method with the skillet I have yet to try, but may on friday at Rock Creek Station, my slow day and set up day, we'll see.

As for in the dutch oven about 1/3 of the coals on bottom, 2/3rds on top and enough to get the oven to about 375-450.  this, depending on the wood should pretty well fill the lid but not be really heaped and about 1/2 as much on the bottom.  Check them and check them often till you get the hang of it. 

I check my temps by touching the side of the oven,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,real quickly. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com